VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe you dont but im quite upset remembering what happened tome yesterday. I go out to find my idle problem and i have a list of some simple things to do. so i start, and i figure... my passenger side outside doorhandle doesnt work i'll try to fix it. So I take it off and find out a small metal piece is broken inside so i try shoving some tiny bits of aluminum in there. and then putting some aluminum and tape on the arm that pushes the door to open. well it worked 3 times then failed. i tried for 2 hours taping and hotgluing stuff and they worked fine for about 5-7 trys and then splat. I know i could probably go to the yard and get one but i wanted to fix it without. I have too much other stuff to get on Saturday ( yard trip )
So what else can i do? bend it? damn I shoulda thought of yesterday. possible?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Re: i hate vw doorhandles and you do too, so help me out (eastcoastdubs)

for some reason the newer door handles seem to break more frequent, ive had better luck with ones that came off Rabbits from the junkyard compared to my original ones on my 91 GTI, both sides have already broke on me

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: i hate vw doorhandles and you do too, so help me out (eastcoastdubs)

off to the G/J II forum

·
Registered
652 Posts
Re: i hate vw doorhandles and you do too, so help me out (duff_man2000)

I had the same probelm a while back! What probably happened is the v-shaped looking metal piece broke. And now there is nothing to lift up the lever to unlock & press down to lock! So you can either geta new door handle from a junkyard and swap lock cylinders, or you can just hop on over to the stealership and get that little piece for a buck or two! HTH http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
652 Posts
Re: i hate vw doorhandles and you do too, so help me out (Mk2Vr5)

quote:[HR][/HR]Don't you think it's easier to get a new handle than to use several hours trying to fix it???[HR][/HR]​
Hours!

I took me @ the most 30 minutes to pull off 2 handles switch locks, throw on that new "V" piece and call it good! result= one key instead of two. A door that opened/closed & locked/unlocked! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
there is only 2 screws needed to take off the door handle. Then there is a small screw in the middle where the "V" goes, unscrew that replace the piece, and waaallaaaa! Then do the reverse. *remember to make sure that the lever goes inbetween the V!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: i hate vw doorhandles and you do too, so help me out (dubwerkz)

My passenger side doorhandle is broken too, i can open it from the inside, but not the outside. Just recently, i can lock my drivers side door, but i cant unlock it from the outside, so i cant lock my doors or im locked out of my car! Im getting my passenger side door repainted right now because of an "accident" and the people painting it said my doorhandle is completely broken, where do i find a new one????

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Re: i hate vw doorhandles and you do too, so help me out (Sissawantbettergti)

quote:[HR][/HR]My passenger side doorhandle is broken too, i can open it from the inside, but not the outside. Just recently, i can lock my drivers side door, but i cant unlock it from the outside, so i cant lock my doors or im locked out of my car! Im getting my passenger side door repainted right now because of an "accident" and the people painting it said my doorhandle is completely broken, where do i find a new one???? [HR][/HR]​
Junkyard... I got a spare one too.. .but the shipping hassles are probably not worth the trouble it would be for you to get to the nearest U-pull-it with a phillips screwdriver and taking out an handle from a car there!!!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Re: i hate vw doorhandles and you do too, so help me out (dubwerkz)

there is only 2 screws needed to take off the door handle.
yes this is true but remember that when your inside piece that the screw screws into is busted then it its only one screw for someone to get into your car. but a new handle ASAP when they break or someone can get into your car with the greatest of ease.

[Modified by DJNacka, 10:48 PM 11-27-2001]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.