VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i got my gti they guy handed me 3 keys. 1 for the doors, 1 for the trunk, and one for the ignition. it irratates me greatly. Do I have to go to a junkyard and get the same locks from a different car and hope that the junkyard guy has the keys?????

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Re: I have 3 keys what to do (eastcoastdubs)

pull the locks...make sure you have the ignition key..and bring them to a locksmith to have the locks "rekeyed" or made to fit the key you want...I did mine and it cost like....20 bucks or something...not bad at all

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Re: I have 3 keys what to do (eastcoastdubs)

You can change the lock cylinders to fit any AH coded key. Each cylinder has removable clips on the side of each tumbler, they are different lengths and in different positions for each key. It's just a matter of rearranging the tumbler clips to the size/orientation of the lock with the key you wanna keep. Don't let the spring go flying! Get some extra door handles for spare tumbler clips and sit down for 2 hours for a "Rain Man" session. This confounded the Repo man to no end!

[Modified by FastLapRSII, 12:51 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Re: I have 3 keys what to do (FastLapRSII)

had that problem with my 84 gti (rip). just went to a local junkyard one day and got lucky, found a rabbit with a vw key (the black rubber one with the metal vw inside) in the ignition, so i pulled that piece, and both the door handles with tumblers and the hatch lock. much much easier then trying to redo the tumblers

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: I have 3 keys what to do (FastLapRSII)

there was a thread on rekeying locks not too long ago, see if u can find it. i don't blame u if u can't though.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Re: I have 3 keys what to do (The_Hamster)

I just bought new handles on Friday and had them keyed to my old key. Cost me 15 bucks, plus they gave me another copy of my ignition key. Went from 1 key and no door locks to 4 of the same key and locking doors. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts