VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building my car for myself, I mod it to match my driving habits and style. So with that being said, I want a 2.0 8v that will hang with GSR's and Grand Prix GT's. So what kind of motor work is necessary. Forced Induction is out, I want to know about P&P work, cams, and so on. So far I have a GIAC chip, 2.5" cat-back exhaust, K&N drop-in, and ABD Big Bore Intake.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I have a childlish question. (MikeBlaze)

Thanks this is helping me out alot. A couple of my friends have GSR's and I just cant hang with them after the first 20 feet or so. Those things are faster than Uncle Ben's minute rice.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Re: I have a childlish question. (tenacious jett)

Too bad FI is out. GSRs are nothing when you add in FI.

·
Banned
2,251 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Close ratio tranny, 2h, AGB, 4y even. Our stock gears are too long for the little power we have.[HR][/HR]​
which tranny would classify as a "close ratio"? and what's 2H, and AGB?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: I have a childlish question. (SquEEzin)

2Y, AGB, 4H are all tranny codes, er more like gear set codes. The VW 4cyl trannies besides the G60 transmission are all code 020 up to 1999. The 6cyl cars came with code 02A transmissions. The 2y, agb stuff denotes the gear sets that are in the trannies.
There are alot of different gear sets and ratios that came on various factory cars. I believe there is something in the Transmission forum FAQ that shows what cars the various boxes come in. You can also look here for gear ratio charts for all the boxes.
I specifically said 2Y and AGB because these seem to be the preferred transmissions for our engines and cars (MK3). They have the same final drive ratio as our stock boxes but with closer 2-5 for better acceleration. The people I have seen with these transmissions on MK3 cars swapped the 5th from their stock transmission to keep the revs the same for highway cruising.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ok so your stock gearing is a little too short. What about power (I believe GSR's are 180 hp 130 torque and Grand Prix's 195 hp and ? torque.) will 130 whp and 140 wtq do the job. I know with a few more bolt-ons and a little P&P I can get those numbers but will they be enough. I also understand that 500 hp and a crappy driver can be beaten by 100 hp and good driver, but on a level playing field with both drivers equal what will it take.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Ok so your stock gearing is a little too short.[HR][/HR]​
Too long.
quote:[HR][/HR]I know with a few more bolt-ons and a little P&P I can get those numbers but will they be enough. [HR][/HR]​
If they aren't you'll have to go FI. You know to get the most performance out of an NA car you'll have to lighten it as much as you can.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts

Hey Noah.. believe it or not, I've gotten 'into it' with a few Grand Prix's, and with my existing mods, I've been able to be right there with them. That's with a close ratio tranny (plus the additional tranny goodies), HOR270 cam w/ cam gear, along with the rest of the normal modifications. GSR's is another ball of wax though. It's my opinion that you'll need a taller duration cam then the hor270, maybe something like the tt268 or more, cam gear to dial in your power, and p&p'd head w/ port matched exhaust manifold. There are other small things that could help, high flow cat, Eurosport's underdrive pulley, adding in some type of cold air induction (something along the lines of the Midknight Motorsport systems). With our engines, every little bit helps.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] You know to get the most performance out of an NA car you'll have to lighten it as much as you can.[HR][/HR]​
Weight loss is a big factor. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Re: I have a childlish question. (VW97Jetta)

The stock GSR motor (B18c1 I believe), available from 94-00 is 170bhp...somewhere around 140-145 at the wheels. It'd be very tough to get a NA 2.0 up into that power range, matter of fact I'd say it's damn near impossible.
Being faster than one of those is difficult NA, they rev into next year and they're damn quick no matter what some people on vortex will say...a friend of mine has a 99 GSR and he barely lost to my other friends MKII GTI VR6, both relatively unmodded...good luck though! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: I have a childlish question. (ILLZ)

quote:[HR][/HR]It'd be very tough to get a NA 2.0 up into that power range, matter of fact I'd say it's damn near impossible.[HR][/HR]​
Difficult yes, but impossible hell no it just takes time, effort, a little research, and most important patients. Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those that work for them. This is something I am going to work for.
quote:[HR][/HR]they rev into next year and they're damn quick[HR][/HR]​
a good friend of mine has one and let me drive it I shifted at 6500 rpm's and he yelled at me for not even getting into the REAL power band. He regularly beats on just about everything he lines up to. It most likely would only run a low to mid 15 on the track, but in real world driving on city streets that's quick. But someday I will be that quick if not faster.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]It'd be very tough to get a NA 2.0 up into that power range, matter of fact I'd say it's damn near impossible.
[HR][/HR]​
But get that power to weight ratio close to theirs, then its all about the driver.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]It'd be very tough to get a NA 2.0 up into that power range, matter of fact I'd say it's damn near impossible. Difficult yes, but impossible hell no it just takes time, effort, a little research, and most important patients. Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those that work for them. This is something I am going to work for.
[HR][/HR]​
OK well I suppose it's possible, but definitely not practical. If someone ever got that far with a 2.0 N/A, they certainly would've spent loads of cash...at that point you gotta ask yourself if it was worth spending double what it would've cost for a kick-a$$ turbo setup that would've delivered loads more power!

[Modified by ILLZ, 3:16 PM 1-30-2003]

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]...at that point you gotta ask yourself if it was worth spending double what it would've cost for a kick-a$$ turbo setup that would've delivered loads more power![HR][/HR]​
That's true but I want a motor monster.

·
Registered
784 Posts

Basically, you have quite a challenge lined up, and it will be an accomplishment to be proud of, if you have an ABA that can whip GSRs, especially in a MkIII chassis. However, you must be realistic, you might not be able to do it with a streetable engine. Is smog legality a requirment? You might do all the street/smog legal bolt ons you can, and still not be there. If you do p/p, chip, smog-legal cam and cam gear, exhaust intake, and still can't rock the GSRs, and my guess is you won't, you'll have to go way wild on cams, and possibly individual throttle bodies, or carbs. This would sound like holy hell and strike fear into every dork out there, but it would be a cantankerous engine that would have lost all utilitarian qualities. Another thing is increase displacement with a stroker kit, but I'm beginning to think that this is a myth, because I've never heard from a single person that has done it. (hopefully I'll get proved wrong.)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.