VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright my car overheated and my valves are ticking. so im gonna replace them. the plan is to get the sport tuned springs$104 and titanium retainers$199 along with the valves. Does anyone know the size of valve a vr6 92 slc needs? im also gonna throw down on a giac chip and a 260 autotech cam. does this sound good or does anyone have some good advice? i cant afford a schrick. will this give me a major difference. and also im gonna do this all my self any advice is greatly appreciated especially from you guys that have done this before thanks

·
Banned
1,610 Posts
Re: i have a dream (VrSIXx)

Intake valve 40mm and Exhaust valve 33mm stock... Umm if I were you I would do the break down your self take head from block off and go to a machine shop and give them the new parts to put on also you are going to need a top end rebuild kit get it from http://www.deiselgeek.com also get the valve guides you are going to need them and they are alot cheaper at diesel geek OEM price $26 a piece you need 12 he has them for $11 a piece. Also if your at it might jsut want to do the clutch and timing chain, guides, tensior, and all that since your at it. And you also might need new mounts so do that as well and if your that far why not do the water pump since it is a B!tch with whole engine in there. Wow that is alot more money then you probly antcipated.
Oh yeah the valves are $22-$27 a piece thats stock

[Modified by switch42, 9:43 AM 2-5-2003]

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: i have a dream (VrSIXx)

Do you know for sure that your valves are damaged? Often times, valvetrain ticking noises are due to worn out lifters. At $8 - $10 a pop, replacing lifters is a LOT cheaper than the complete valve replacement job you're talking about.
-Nate

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Re: i have a dream (SaabFan)

Schrick or cat 268's would be nice for an opened up head. They have matching GIAC software too. Get everything gasket matched while you're in there.

[Modified by Slynus, 6:06 PM 2-5-2003]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: i have a dream (FuriousGeorge!!)

well iv already done the water pump and i plan on doin the timing chain while im in there. are u sayin to do the clutch as well? what for. besides the money isnt the problem its botherin the people who give me the ride to work. I still have to tear the thing down anyway, its still to cold. the way iv got it planned is its gonna cost less than a grand to get the valves and retainers and the springs. do the aftermarket spring failures happen alot? can anybody tell me where to find out about them and has any one else replaced the stuff im talkin about? i mean i want to know the best way to go about it thanks guys for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.