VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive seen a few supras out there that are gettin 750 hp in their cars and can only do the 1/4 mile in 12.4 and the best ive seen is 11.8.
My question to everyone is why is that our 1.8t's tuned like billyt's can pull the same numbers but with only 400hp.
I thought something with 750 hp should be doin like under 10's. the numbers jus dont add up in my head, can someone help me out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: i have a valid question (GoGTIGo)

HP/WEIGHT RATIO? SUSPENSION? PROPER TUNING? DRIVER SKILL? LOTS OF FACTORS. AND THERES LOTS OF SUPRAS RUNNING 9'SM AND I BELIEVE 8'S NOW TOO

·
Registered
556 Posts
Re: i have a valid question (GoGTIGo)

not really sure but i think weight comes into play here.
the supra must be heavier than a gti/golf and that is a huge factor.
no matter how much hp you have, weight seriously affects your performance.
edit: case in point, i know a 400 hp mustang that got smoked by a 250hp focus. mustang is a whale compared to a focus.

[Modified by vr6dubber23, 1:51 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: i have a valid question (vr6dubber23)

is the weight of the supra that much compared to the GTI, where it would need an extra 350 hp to get the same time the GTI gets with 400 hp?

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Re: i have a valid question (vr6dubber23)

HP, Torque, weight, driver skill- the factors are endless. Incidentally, some of the quicker supras are the guys who have scrapped the twin-turbo setup for a single larger turbo ( I learned that recently)

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: i have a valid question (Cosmic631)

Max Power did a spread on a Supra from Japan that was flown to New Zeland to hit the 300km/h figure on the street.
I think they came close.
But it was a big turbo 4, not a twin-6. Got it closer to mid-engine that way.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Re: i have a valid question (Jman5000)

[joke] what do a 600hp supra and a 400hp supra have in common?
12 second time slips![/joke]
for real though. the independant rear suspension of the supra kinda limits it's dragability. put as much HP down as you want, but without lockers in the back your just going to get wheel spin at a certian point. the supra drivetrain just doesn't know what to do with all that power imo. it takes an EXCEPTIONAL driver do drive a highly modded supra to it's full potential at the strip. why do you think you only hear about rolling start drag races on the supra forums?

all they need to do from a roll is downshift 1 gear and mash the pedal and let the huge slug in the engine bay do the rest
and yeah. the 500hp + supras generally go to a single large slug.
the supra your talking about that hit 300kmph had it's supra engine swapped for an Sr20det for weight considerations. go nissan!

btw. stock supras weigh 3500 lbs. that aint no lightweight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts