VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
I, too, am a huge Leno fan for all the reasons ppl already named (down to earth, huge knowledgable car guy, no ego etc). I think he's quite refreshing in that regard, and his automotive passion is amazing (to say nothing of his collection). Class act http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
He recently picked up a 1958 Saab Model 93-B via Saabnet, it's posted on their home page. So he definitely knows his shiz http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: I have a whole new opinion of Jay Leno now... (CasaDelShawn)

Hey Casadelshawn, watch the width of your pics-makes the thread hard to read. Thanks!

Modified by Dubai Vol at 10:42 PM 7-27-2005

·
Registered
2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback Limited
23,694 Posts
Re: I have a whole new opinion of Jay Leno now... (vwlarry)

If someone has a torrent, please share

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

It is easy to not want to like a celebrity.
It is easy to like Jay Leno.
He is funny, likes cars and owns (thanks) this montrosity...

I have seen Jay on numerous shows whether it be My Classic Car with Dennis Gage or the forementioned TLC Rides. Every time I watch Jay go through parts of his collection I am humbled by his enthusiasm and appreciation for automotive history. Jay has a thorough knowledge and history of each of his cars and they rarely just sit around to look pretty. Each car has been restored to driving condition and then driven. A cool project would be to list the cars Jay has in his collection... I'm sure we would all be impressed by the rarity, importance and uniqueness of many of his cars.
By the way, it seems that many night show hosts have interesting car tastes, whether it be Conans SHO or Lettermans 5.0L Volvo wagon. Just goes with the job I guess.
Chris

Modified by cstraw at 2:56 PM 7-27-2005

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
13,110 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwlarry »
Only 4 examples were ever built, and when E.L. Cord purchased Duesenberg the Model X program was terminated in favor of the much more ambitious and majestic Model J.

Didn't he say that there were 13 built, 4 surviving?
Also- I somehow managed to pass out for the last 10 minutes... did they get it running?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Re: I have a whole new opinion of Jay Leno now... (cstraw)

Quote, originally posted by cstraw »
He is funny, likes cars and built this montrosity...Chris

I don't believe he built that. Isn't that the Blast-O-Lene Special. Two guys built it, Jay bought it from them. No?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Re: I have a whole new opinion of Jay Leno now... (kafercrazy)

I watched the show last night expecting a thread to pop up about it this morning. It was an awesome show, and I gained a LOT of respect for Jay Leno. He's a very knowledgable and down-to-earth guy. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
ROB

·
Registered
8,988 Posts

Quote, originally posted by kafercrazy »
I don't believe he built that. Isn't that the Blast-O-Lene Special. Two guys built it, Jay bought it from them. No?

That is accurate. I met the two creators of the Blastolene car at ArtCenter two weekends ago. They brought along Big Bertha and one other new car that looks similar to Jay's. It was great to talk to them. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Leno was also there to introduce Gordon Murray, the creator of the McLaren F1, and Jay brought along his F1 to display at the show. It was great to watch Jay interact with all the car people, and hear him talk about his collection first hand. He is a true enthusiast, not just a rich guy with nice cars. Even Gordon Murray had wonderful things to say about him after a tour of his "garage" the day before.
I ended up feeling kind of bad for Jay because he was literally mobbed at every turn by people wanting an autograph or a photo. I had planned to talk to him myself, but ended up keeping my distance since I didn't want to be another person looking for a piece of his time. I'm sure when he goes to those types of events he'd like to be just someone in the crowd so he could crawl around under the cars and talk to the owners of the ones that interest him like anyone else, but he can't turn his celebrity off. He took it all in stride though and kept smiling through the whole day. I was definitely impressed, but I have always liked Jay.
I spoke with Gordon Murray later in the day and he commented that he couldn't believe that Jay drives his Light Car Company Rocket around the streets of LA. Someone on FerrariChat later asked if his F1 had been trailered in to the event. I responded to say that it had been driven by Jay, to and from. Someone else responded to say that they didn't think Jay even owned a trailer
reaffirming that he drives everything everywhere. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
>8^)
ER

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
its funny i only respect jay leno as a car guy not as a comedian or tv host or whatnot. But he does seem like a very down to earth guy, and you gotta give him credit for not owning a great collection of cars but actualy driving and working on them. If i had his millions i would do the same thing.
He also seems like the type of guy of you saw him on the street in one of his many automobiles and stopped to talk to him he would engage in a conversation with you, he doesnt come off pompus to me

·
Registered
17,649 Posts
I remember he told a story about seeing a guy park in a handicap space, and Jay was
yelling at him from his car because the guy obviously was not handicapped.
And jay continued yelling at him as the guy went around and opened the door for
his passenger, a little old lady.
Jay felt pretty bad.
Dave's show is better, though.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts

Quote, originally posted by kafercrazy »
he's into steam power! His Stanley steamer is figured to be the only one in existence.

Nope. Your getting the Stanley mixed up with the Baker.
I watched that episode as well.......and I must admit, I have a much more favorable impression of Leno than I did beforehand....
While he could just sit back and watch, it seems he's actually quite knowledgeable and, for the most part, fairly competent underneath a car..........I didn't know a fraction of what I now know about steam engines.
While most people in his position carry their "tool boxes" in their back pocket, Leno seems to actually be willing to get a little dirty...... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Re: I have a whole new opinion of Jay Leno now... (thesteve)

Quote, originally posted by thesteve »
Nope. Your getting the Stanley mixed up with the Baker.

ooops.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts

Jay does with his money what many of us would do, if we had that kind of money.
Hopefully we would all be that cool.

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Re: I have a whole new opinion of Jay Leno now... (lip)

I saw that too, and stole a quote for my sig.
I've always liked Jay because he's always shown working on the cars himself, not just paying someone to do it for him. I know he does pay people to work on the cars, my point is that he works on them ALSO.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
before he became the successful man he is today, he was a mechanic for over 12 years doing comedy on the side,,so i guess thats where he gets his car love from,,i heard he owns one of the first american distrubted porsche 911's and that jerry sienfield ( who i dislike) owns the second,,,but i would love to spend a week going through Jays garage just to see what kind of variety he has in his 3 hanger garage

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Re: (GTIcharlie)

Leno was a Rolls Royce tech for awhile before going on stage. He used to talk about it on Letterman's show in the years before he got famous.
You should see the "old" Jay Leno, back in the early eighties. I still watch my old videotapes of him, since back then a Jay Leno appearance on the "Late Night" show was a BIG event among the cognoscenti of comedy.
He was a completely different performer than the one you see today on the "Tonight" show. Jay was as natural and "one of the guys" as anyone you ever knew, and he was one FUNNY mofo.
I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't like the guy when I opened this topic up. I LOVE Jay; always have.

·
Registered
12,562 Posts

I, too liked the "old" Jay Leno of stand-up fame, but prefer Letterman for
my late night entertainment. And I always knew he was a car nut, and had
passion for his collection, but never realized the depth of that passion until
seeing "Rides" last night. I have a great deal more respect for him now.
--Chuck--
Edit: Spelling

Modified by speedbump2 at 6:41 PM 7-27-2005

·
Registered
16,417 Posts
Re: I have a whole new opinion of Jay Leno now... (speedbump2)

I remember him saying that he didn't so much own his car collection, rather he was simply protecting and maintaining them for future generations to enjoy. What a perfect attitude. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I also remember him recounting how his dad nearly kicked his ass because he checked a certain box on the order sheet for his dad's new Chevy sedan that in turn turned it into a firebreathing, big block powered muscle car that rumbled and roared like crazy. Even with the subsequent complaining by his father, he secretly found a speeding ticket in the glovebox given to his dad for 100mph.

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Re: I have a whole new opinion of Jay Leno now... (Rob)

Anyone who is truly in love with cars, and is fortunate enough to have a vintage/collectible machine of their own should always remember that they are, moreso than a mere "owner", the steward of that machine for the enthusiast of the future, maybe even yet unborn. I always felt that way when God blessed me with my beloved '65 Beetle several years ago. It's gone now, but it's safely in the loving hands of another "steward" who cares every bit as much as I did about preserving such a wonderful machine while it is in his hands. That gives me comfort no matter how deeply I miss my Beetle.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts