VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we had some nice weather today, and it was kinda warm. I got in my car tongiht to go to a buddies house and i drive my car for a bit, and the horn starts shorting out, so i pull the whole horn part out and make sure the two wires are not conected, so it's all good, i get to his place and then i get in my car again, and i turn the wheel and it shorts out again, then i drive it for a bit, and it shorts out again, for even longer now
so i make it home and it's all good till i pull in my driveway and it just went off and probilly wole up all my neighbors now! hahahaha, i don't care about them!!!
but i wanna fix this, any ideas guys?
Thanks

·
Banned
2,329 Posts
Re: I have horn problems (91Golf)

hehe
i had this few x in the past..
i think mine was more of a glitch or something but heh...
i turned the car on and horn went off for like 30 seconds very odd..
free bump anyways
maybe the horn cover is pushing in somehow or something is stuck?
take off the cover and havea look mabe im not to sure...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Re: I have horn problems (Tbird Pimpistik)

Between the wheel and the part of the dash that the wheel mounts to there is a contact that moves when you turn the wheel. Check that. But it sounds more like it might be a problem under the dash or the hood with the wires.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Re: I have horn problems (Sechscylinder)

Yeah,
My horn used to go off when i turned the car on and it puzzled the hell out of me. Turned out, My other keys were slipping between the wheel and the collum as i twisted the ignition. this was shorting the circut and making the horn Blare.

If you have a big ass number of keys, they might be swinging into the crack when you drive
Beep Beep

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Re: I have horn problems (fiorya)

mine used to go off when I would hit a bump in the road. Bam, Honk......Bam, Honk...... etc, it got real old. It turned out to be the horn unit itself. Yours does sound like part of the wiring making a bad contact, since it happens when you turn...

·
Registered
4,490 Posts

This happened to my moms Jetta a while back. Whenever you would start the car the horn would go off and stay on untill you screwed with it a little. It was quite funny. I have no idea what was wrong just one day it stopped doing it. That car has remarkable abilities to fix itself. I have never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: I have horn problems (Caleb)

i thank you all very much, but i fixed it now, well i kinda fixed it. I ended up just taking the horn fuse out and now i have no more horn

YAY, they sould call me Mr. Fix-it!!
Anyways guys, thanks

·
Registered
7,011 Posts

My horn used to go off when I signaled a turn or flicked on my highbeams. Also sometimes when I was turning. What I did to fix it was take off the steering wheel. Behind there, there were 3 screws that I tightened on the column. Part of it was loose so it would connect and honk. But I think I tightened them too much becausenow I have no honker
so keep that in mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.