VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay 1st one: cant get money 2001 to install on XP, looked at MS' site and didnt see a patch or anything
2nd: in my network places it only shows 2 shared folders, not all of them on the network
3rd: just got wolfenstein and I am playing it without the CD. it takes a long time to load (not the problem) but what bugs me is that gameplay gets real choppy sometimes. I have a 64meg Radeon VE with the newest driver. The res. is set low, its on the fast setting in the options. I have an amd 1200 and 128mb of ram. I know I need more ram but 3 other people are running it with 128 and are not having the problems I am.
thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,628 Posts
Re: I have some new problems (CG1182)

Last I heard Xp and Money 2001(part of the MS Works 2001 suite) didn't work together. I haven't heard of a patch for this yet.
As for Wolfenstein, are you running DX 8.1?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts

Yes .. but are those other people with 128 running XP as well?
XP is rather "resource intensive" (marketing speak for Ram Hog)
could also be a drivers issue, you say you're running the mose current Radeon drivers, have you confirmed this? If you crashed at all, XP might have rolled back your video drivers ... check the versions ..
Though unconfirmed, I know there has to be a fairly widespread AMD/AGP/XP issue out there ... (or is it VIA/AMD/AGP/SB-Live/XP problem? hmm)
dunno.
drivers are goofy right now .. I personally can't do 3d at all without a hard lock, and this with a GeForce2 Ti, SB Live Value, Athlon 1.33, and 512MB PC133...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: I have some new problems (devnull)

yeah all these people are running XP with 128.
the video driver I had was the one that ATI had on there site about 3 weeks ago so its pretty new.
I had the XP SB live problem but got a new driver to fix that when I put XP on.
How do I check to see which ver. of direct X I have?

·
Registered
7,971 Posts

i have 512 of ram and an athalon xp 1600 with a geforce2 ti 200 (running detonator drivers) and i get 60+ frames a sec in wolfenstein... in know this doesnt help...
edit: by the way thats 60+ at 1280x1024 with FSAA (full screen anti aliasing) on 2x

[Modified by turborave, 12:36 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Re: I have some new problems (turborave)

Well ... It does help actually ..
It just shows how freakin RANDOM this problem is ..

I Think i might try with putting cards in different slots, see if it's some weird PCI issue or not .. I don't know ... I just don't want to scale back down to 2kPro, I for once, actually *like* the new features .... weird huh?

·
Registered
7,971 Posts

how long does it take to get into wolfenstein? from the time you hit the icon (launch the app) till the ID logo comes up.. how much time? mine takes i would guess, 6-10 seconds... something is hinky with your system... hmmm

·
Registered
7,971 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Yes .. but are those other people with 128 running XP as well?
XP is rather "resource intensive" (marketing speak for Ram Hog)
could also be a drivers issue, you say you're running the mose current Radeon drivers, have you confirmed this? If you crashed at all, XP might have rolled back your video drivers ... check the versions ..
Though unconfirmed, I know there has to be a fairly widespread AMD/AGP/XP issue out there ... (or is it VIA/AMD/AGP/SB-Live/XP problem? hmm)
dunno.
drivers are goofy right now .. I personally can't do 3d at all without a hard lock, and this with a GeForce2 Ti, SB Live Value, Athlon 1.33, and 512MB PC133... [HR][/HR]​
more, i have ddr ram and a PCI SB16 for a sound card, i can do 3d in games and in apps (i have 3d studio max 3.1 installed). whats your motherboard?

[Modified by turborave, 12:41 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
4,612 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
more, i have ddr ram and a PCI SB16 for a sound card, i can do 3d in games and in apps (i have 3d studio max 3.1 installed). whats your motherboard?

[Modified by turborave, 12:41 PM 11-27-2001][HR][/HR]​
Some Gateway mobo (codename Oxnard) ... Best I can tell, its an MSI KT7Turbo ( VIA chipset) custom atx power connector... Anda BIOS that dosent let me adjust the AGP speed (2x 4x, etc) or much else for that matter... It has the most recent gateway bios update, but that is several months old ...
Complete specs:
Oxnard Mobo (see above)
Athlon 1.33GHz
512MB PC133 (2 128's, 1 256)
SB live Value
Geforce 2 Ti 64MB DDR (did the same thing with OEM Radeon 64MB VE though)
Lynksys LNE100TX NIC
Some OEM firewire card

[Modified by devnull, 10:00 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I takes a while for the game to load. its the same for all of us, we play it with out the CD so everything has to load from the HD.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I takes a while for the game to load. its the same for all of us, we play it with out the CD so everything has to load from the HD.[HR][/HR]​
i play from the HD too.. no cd...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

let me try it again and see how long it takes, i know for sure when the level is loading etc. it takes a while.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts

timed mine last night... 10 seconds from clicking of the icon till i get the ID logo, with the rain behind it..

·
Registered
7,971 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]

[Modified by turborave, 12:41 PM 11-27-2001]
Some Gateway mobo (codename Oxnard) ... Best I can tell, its an MSI KT7Turbo ( VIA chipset) custom atx power connector... Anda BIOS that dosent let me adjust the AGP speed (2x 4x, etc) or much else for that matter... It has the most recent gateway bios update, but that is several months old ...
Complete specs:
Oxnard Mobo (see above)
Athlon 1.33GHz
512MB PC133 (2 128's, 1 256)
SB live Value
Geforce 2 Ti 64MB DDR (did the same thing with OEM Radeon 64MB VE though)
Lynksys LNE100TX NIC
Some OEM firewire card

[Modified by devnull, 10:00 AM 11-27-2001][HR][/HR]​
i have a friend of mine who is having major trouble with RtCW as well, he has the Raedon VE card as well, he is running Windows 98, BUT he has a SBLive! card as well... did you ever get your game to run smooth?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

its not 100% smooth but i can live with it. its not running all that smooth for the other people that have it too

·
Registered
7,971 Posts

whats your average FPS?
bring down the console in the game "~"
then type - /toggle cg_drawfps

if that doesnt work then the "/" goes the other way...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts