VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is dark red or burgandy. Paint is crap, and it has some dings, the seats suck. But, the car is totally rust free (never, ever had rust, original paint) and came from Arizona and runs and drives great. The top is even decent too.
Does anyone have any pics of a car similar to what I am describing? What should I watch out for, is it semi-reliable? ie. good for 100 mile-2hour hour trips?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Banned
9,779 Posts
Re: I have the opportunity to own a Fiat 124. Should I go for it? (200HP4dr)

Is it a Spyder?

A Coupe?

I had a couple Spyders, and my folks had one, as well. Things to look for are rust, and condition/age of timing belt. Transmission synchros are delicate, too, and popping out of gear is common in many examples.
But the engines are strong, and the main electrical problems center around corroding connections in the wiring (the components themselves really don't fail. It's the fact that the aluminum connections usually don't have their dielectric grease in them, and have dried out and corroded. Pulling apart all plugs and putting them togehter again a couple times usually restores teh systems until you can put in new grease).
Great cars, fantastically agile suspension, excellent brakes, and a wonderful engine note! I'd take another in a heartbeat!

·
Banned
9,779 Posts

Forgot you said it has no rust. Then all you really need to look for is the timing belt, electrical connections, and trans synchro operation. I've spent all day in mine, and loved it. Put the top down and everything is right with the world (especially if you can have the sound from an Ansa exhaust echoing though the hills on a summer evening!!!!)

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I have the opportunity to own a Fiat 124. Should I go for it? (Chris V)

The car has a fresh timing belt and just had a tune up with new plugs wires, etc. I'm going to drive it this tuesday.
Is $1000 a respectable deal for a car like this?
It's a spyder, BTW.
Chris

·
Banned
9,779 Posts

A grand is about perfect. you will not regret it. Mine were excellent daily drivers. If I wasn't working on the MGB to autocross, I'd buy an $800 one that is here locally... (though I'd much rather have an Arizona car with a guarantee of no rust...)
Fiat= Fast Italian Automotive Toy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.