VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being 46 years old and detailing cars since the 90s, I am pretty old school when it comes to car detailing cars. So much so that this week was my first attempt at coating my car. I watched Pan the Organizer talk about Avalon King and was impressed by the ease of application. The most time consuming part is getting the paint ready for the coating so I picked a mild day to do the foam wash and clay bar.

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Liquid

When that was done, I ALMOST skipped to the machine polish to remove the scratches but I was reminded of Rawk's post where he removed the cracking PPF behind the door handles so I tackled that next. I feel like this in itself took almost an hour, although the second was much quicker than the first. I used a heated dryer to accelerate the process and that helped a ton.

Car Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Personal luxury car

Hand Automotive tire Fluid Finger Tire

Gesture Automotive exterior Automotive design Vehicle door Fixture

Grille Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Grey

And finally, with that done I could proceed to machine polish. Since the paint is in relatively good shape, I just used Meguairs M205 since I had it on hand and it's very easy to remove. Once that was completed, the entire car was sprayed with IPA (I bought some pre-mixed from Avalon King but it's very east to make your own I'm learning. This I am told is the most important step as the coating will lock in any high spots left from the polishes and also could keep the coating from sticking to the clearcoat.

Applying the product was easy enough, but I will admit I can't wait until I can do my first wash. I will report back here when it's time.

Also, the car will be for sale soon, but not TOO soon as my replacement Miata is still awaiting production and shipment. But now that I understand the process, I will be doing all my cars going forward as I've NEVER had a car with paint this smooth, and this is 20 year old paint! I made a short YouTube video tour of the car, I'll post that in the comments as well.

Here's some finished pictures. I am HIGHLY impressed with how it came out.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your door handle gaskets are rotten and need to be replaced. Or they are covered in overspray for some reason?
I think it's just dirty from the goo gone I was spraying. They aren't cracked or anything. I see what you're talking about, I'll check when I get home. I borrowed my wife's CX-5 today so I can't look at it this very second.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's such a nice Cabrio, too bad you don't have the garage space to keep it. If it was a 5-speed I'd be quite interested.
I was intending to keep it long enough to do the swap, but last year brought big changes to my priorities. I have wanted an ND2 Miata since I sat in one at a Mazda event for Miata Club members at Treasure Island. While I was going to wait until my kid graduated school, 99.9 % of the time, it's just me or just my wife or kid in the car, and if it's all 3 of us, we have her car.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Steering part

(this is the car I sat in and promised myself I would own someday)

After getting hit almost a year ago to the day by a DUI driver while crossing the street, I've decided to skip waiting to buy the car you want. Life is too short. So I am waiting very patiently. And the Cabrio at least gets me halfway there as far as an exhilarating experience is concerned. Honestly, I am borrowing the CX-5 because it's really good for making the drive more enjoyable. it's just too hot to drop the top today.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
VTE:

Car looks amazing! I always wanted to try a water cannon but I don't see how the foam wash will get the car clean! It obviously works though. Yeah, I've read up on it and I've been a Griot's customer for 26 years but I use a 5 gal. bucket, Britemax car wash and a silicone-free sponge. Britemax is the best car wash I've ever used! How many miles are on it? Looks garage-kept.
108,xxx. When I use the foam cannon, I still use a wash mitt, and with the pressure washer, I'm using almost no water. Which, in CA, during a drought, is a BIG deal.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Car turned out phenomenal, great job. What a clean Cabrio as well, holy cow.

Don't you also have a blue (compliments of Maaco) Miata?
I did. In December of 2020 I sold it to a friend. I LOVED the car but was ready for something new. I missed the way it drove but want something newer.

And truth be told, being a Maaco paint job, in my mind, the paint did have a 'best before' date on it. Who knows- 4 years on, it still looks great according to the current owner.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Want to do my first ceramic coating on the ND. But this is how it currently looks when wet. I don't know if it's already done. Beads wouldn't stay put on the fender that much if it was, right? Prior owner did a bunch of little cosmetic mods so it's possible he had it coated...
View attachment 196660
View attachment 196659
OMG, that's the car I ordered. Please post more pics. Also, As long as it keeps beading like that, I wouldn't worry about it, but it looks good.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Don't blame me for posting her again people; I obey orders 😁
(sexy images)
Oh my goodness. While this wait is killing me, I am going to be SO happy when I finally get the keys. Thanks for posting. This helps.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
There’s some real good in depth YT videos that go into the science of this, but the basics are this:
The built up road grime on cars is almost impossible to loosen with water. Depending on the makeup of the grime, the pH of the soap will help to start moving it. The foam will sit longer and allow it to encapsulate the dirt and when you pressure wash the foam off it takes the heavier larger bits with it. I thought it was snake oil, but have had much better results using this method. I follow up with a two bucket wash.
That's basically how I do it. I mean, I start with the wheels and tires first, and they get their own bucket with separate mitt, brush, etc.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
VTE:

Car looks amazing! I always wanted to try a water cannon but I don't see how the foam wash will get the car clean! It obviously works though. Yeah, I've read up on it and I've been a Griot's customer for 26 years but I use a 5 gal. bucket, Britemax car wash and a silicone-free sponge. Britemax is the best car wash I've ever used! How many miles are on it? Looks garage-kept.
109k as of today. I'm certain it was garaged for it's while life.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I coated my wheels before I put them on. So now all I have to do it foam cannon them, agitate with dedicated brushes and pressure wash off. Even with the excessive dust the front pads spew.
I still need to refinish them before I coat the wheels, it's one of the last things I want to do before I sell. Maybe the brakes as well as they are about to the wear indicators.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Oh snap, I was just perusing the Mazda website and it looks like my car at least has a VIN number. I'm going to see if they can give me an ETA, unless someone else ordered the exact same car, down to the $425 interior package.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 20 Posts