VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
CarTruck, Wagon, HellKidHauler
11,949 Posts
VTE:

Car looks amazing! I always wanted to try a water cannon but I don't see how the foam wash will get the car clean! It obviously works though. Yeah, I've read up on it and I've been a Griot's customer for 26 years but I use a 5 gal. bucket, Britemax car wash and a silicone-free sponge. Britemax is the best car wash I've ever used! How many miles are on it? Looks garage-kept.
only way to get the kids to wash my vehicles.

water
foam
rinse
foam
hand wash it

less grit

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I've been meaning to do this to my celica but I don't have a garage, so I don't think it's really possible. I'd end up having a bunch of leaves/pollen/etc set into the ceramic coating. I just wash and use the hybrid solutions spray on ceramic coating every couple months. I have a ryobi pressure washer with a foam cannon attachment, but it doesn't shoot foam anywhere near as good as the pictures in this thread...

Great job btw. Looks amazing. I feel like you don't see a lot of silver MK3's - looks really pretty.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
VTE:

Car looks amazing! I always wanted to try a water cannon but I don't see how the foam wash will get the car clean! It obviously works though. Yeah, I've read up on it and I've been a Griot's customer for 26 years but I use a 5 gal. bucket, Britemax car wash and a silicone-free sponge. Britemax is the best car wash I've ever used! How many miles are on it? Looks garage-kept.
108,xxx. When I use the foam cannon, I still use a wash mitt, and with the pressure washer, I'm using almost no water. Which, in CA, during a drought, is a BIG deal.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Car turned out phenomenal, great job. What a clean Cabrio as well, holy cow.

Don't you also have a blue (compliments of Maaco) Miata?
I did. In December of 2020 I sold it to a friend. I LOVED the car but was ready for something new. I missed the way it drove but want something newer.

And truth be told, being a Maaco paint job, in my mind, the paint did have a 'best before' date on it. Who knows- 4 years on, it still looks great according to the current owner.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
I did. In December of 2020 I sold it to a friend. I LOVED the car but was ready for something new. I missed the way it drove but want something newer.

And truth be told, being a Maaco paint job, in my mind, the paint did have a 'best before' date on it. Who knows- 4 years on, it still looks great according to the current owner.
View attachment 196646
I thought it looked great in pictures, you did well. Glad the new owner is enjoying it.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Want to do my first ceramic coating on the ND. But this is how it currently looks when wet. I don't know if it's already done. Beads wouldn't stay put on the fender that much if it was, right? Prior owner did a bunch of little cosmetic mods so it's possible he had it coated...
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Car Hood

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Want to do my first ceramic coating on the ND. But this is how it currently looks when wet. I don't know if it's already done. Beads wouldn't stay put on the fender that much if it was, right? Prior owner did a bunch of little cosmetic mods so it's possible he had it coated...
View attachment 196660
View attachment 196659
OMG, that's the car I ordered. Please post more pics. Also, As long as it keeps beading like that, I wouldn't worry about it, but it looks good.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
605 Posts
VTE:

There’s some real good in depth YT videos that go into the science of this, but the basics are this:
The built up road grime on cars is almost impossible to loosen with water. Depending on the makeup of the grime, the pH of the soap will help to start moving it. The foam will sit longer and allow it to encapsulate the dirt and when you pressure wash the foam off it takes the heavier larger bits with it. I thought it was snake oil, but have had much better results using this method. I follow up with a two bucket wash.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Don't blame me for posting her again people; I obey orders 😁
(sexy images)
Oh my goodness. While this wait is killing me, I am going to be SO happy when I finally get the keys. Thanks for posting. This helps.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
There’s some real good in depth YT videos that go into the science of this, but the basics are this:
The built up road grime on cars is almost impossible to loosen with water. Depending on the makeup of the grime, the pH of the soap will help to start moving it. The foam will sit longer and allow it to encapsulate the dirt and when you pressure wash the foam off it takes the heavier larger bits with it. I thought it was snake oil, but have had much better results using this method. I follow up with a two bucket wash.
That's basically how I do it. I mean, I start with the wheels and tires first, and they get their own bucket with separate mitt, brush, etc.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts