VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after countless days of reading the archives, asking people, mechanics, body shops, ... the answer was handed to me during a casual conversation with a dealer parts person...
he knew about the problem & rightaway he said "2 hinges + a pin"
each hinge is $28., there are 2 per door, and its a 5 min job to replace them
basically you open the bolts, pull out the pins, bolt on the new hinges, put the new pins on, and wola! it closes shut as smooth as a caddilac door on a vaseline overdose

needless to say to ordered the parts, and will be replacing them friday.
all i need now is:
fix my reverse lights
fix my upshift indicator
fix my broken hand brake lever
reseal my windshield
and the car will be absolutely flawless!

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: i know how to fix the dropping doors :O) read on (cabrio_boy)

You're in for a huge shock if you think this will be a 5 minute job, I've done this on each of my last 3 VWs. Every time the old pin was very hard to get out, I had use a torch with the door removed so that I had room to work. I hope you make out better than I did. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,745 Posts

Or........ you could just do the "put a large socket on the hinge and close the door to bend it straight" trick and saved yourself $112 bucks. New hinges are nice but the free way actually works.

·
Registered
473 Posts

If you don't call your car flawless. you're on crack man...Want me to send you my list of problems and items to be fixed man? HAHHAHAHAH I added three more things today bro ARGH

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Re: i know how to fix the dropping doors :O) read on (tnesh)

Those RMs look sweet...maybe I'll see you at a GTG sometime. Looking for an A1 myself.
Looks great!!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

Cabrio boy: you have the small tails on that car, right? Did you fill in the holes on the back, or did you just use the black piece from a cabby to cover them up. Just curious. Nice car BTW.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: i know how to fix the dropping doors :O) read on (retrohasen)

hi
ABA: really its more than 5 min ? nooooo!!!! i dont wanna know... oh well i am off tomorrow....gives me something to do... the whole day i guess

Lunitixx: i did... i dont know if i did it correctly...it bent the door jamb but didnt fix the problem
vwaddict: what 3 items did u find?
tnesh: its all good, me & vwaddict are good buddies... see vwaddict, you insult me and my vortex buddies will rip your throat next time..show some respect you dawg

dieselboy: thank you...my car is for sale if you like

big caddy: true but i like to restore it to original condition... almost there...
retrohasen: yes i just used the cabriolet center pc to cover it up... this way its revrsible if i ever ned to put the original lights back...not that i would want t thoug....

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Re: i know how to fix the dropping doors :O) read on (retrohasen)

hey Cabrio boy, why not try the 'washer trick' like i posted the other day. just drop a washer between the two halves of the upper hinge, and it will lift the door up. worked great on my gti. btw, luv the nice paint job and black flares/bumpers. i have the same color, and am going to leave the flares and bumpers black and remove the gti stipes when i paint my car. the one thing i'm going to add is the Euro skinny black moulding back in the same place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts