VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

I like my VW mags. Can i sand and paint them? Comments/Ideas...

593 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  A1Rocco
I want to paint over my stock VW 14" mags. Sould I sand and paint, or just leave them alone. Anyone try the sand, prime, paint techique?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Re: I like my VW mags. Can i sand and paint them? Comments/Ideas... (aestheticculture)

Sure you can paint them. Just take your time, make them nice and smooth. They'll look great.
Re: I like my VW mags. Can i sand and paint them? Comments/Ideas... (tram)

i spraypainted a set of ronal R8's (aka audi 4K wheels) that hip anthricite color about a year ago. i didn't even clean them all that well to start with and they still look dead sexy. i didn't use primer, either. you may want to on a set of bare metal wheels like snowflakes or the like, but paint sticks to factory painted wheels A-okay.
...they do chip fairly easy (because i didn't clearcoat 'em, but i have plenty of touch-up paint on hand. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
See less See more
Re: I like my VW mags. Can i sand and paint them? Comments/Ideas... (aestheticculture)

Here's how my snow-set looks. From white to black!

Sanding,priming,painting,wetsanding,painting again! (no clearcoat either)
See less See more
Re: I like my VW mags. Can i sand and paint them? Comments/Ideas... (Carlitos)

I like black. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
See less See more
Re: I like my VW mags. Can i sand and paint them? Comments/Ideas... (tram)

i did this with my Wolfsburg Edition 5 spokes. look good.
take your time, wet sand first, clean, prime with a flex primer to prevent chipping from wheel flex, base coat, clear. good results with these steps, but let them cure for a day at least. i rushed and put mine on too soon and they got plastered with hot brake dust. it burned itself into the paint

be patient and it will turn out fine.
See less See more
Re: I like my VW mags. Can i sand and paint them? Comments/Ideas... (VolkSchnell-GTI)

Thanks all for the advice. Another question(s). What kind of paint is needed to repaint the front grill and wheel arches? It's obvious that it an outside part(s). Any suggestions? Also, what kind of paint do I need to paint my interior panels? Anyone try this before? Thanks again
See less See more

well if youwould like to spend a little more, and you want something that would last longer, i would suggest getting them powder coated....
the interior panels can be painted with vinyl spray paint...but it chips easily, so keep a can available to fix up the scratches.
i used black bumper paint to paint the bumpers and trim on my mk2...just clean everything really well, and spray away...it seems to work really well for me, they look awesome, but i have only had it donne for a couple of months, so i'm not too sure how long it will last.
i got both of those paint from the automotive area in canadian tire...not sure if youhave those in BC????
Re: I like my VW mags. Can i sand and paint them? Comments/Ideas... (mk1gti girl)

Ok, I have avoided responding to this thread cuz I wanted to see what y'all were going to say.
If you paint alloy wheels with spray bomb over bare alloy they will only last a few months maybe a year before they start corroding the paint off and chipping like crazy. Aluminum gives up it's atoms to corrosion very easily and will turn white with powder. It has to be media blasted and powercoated to have the paint last. If you strip the rims chemically, sand the poop outta them and clean them like crazy, them use that green zinc chromate primer(the only way to spray on alloy) they will look great for awhile, maybe a couple years but they will still not be as chip resistant as powder coating. Powder coating is cheap, including blasting, around $150 for a set of wheels if you use a regular run color like black or silver. If you insist on doing them yourself, the faster you do it the less long it will last. You have to spend hours on the prep, and it's still short term.
For bunpers the body shops often use SEM Bumper Black and Trim Black, it is the best for adhesion. Did the grill on my 80 Scirocco 6 years ago and you still cannot tell that it was painted. The Bumper Black I haven't tried but the cheap stuff will chip or peal off after a while and it goes on too thick looking more like rock guard. Makes a horrible mesh of your bumpers and flares, use the best.
For vinyl, I used SEM vinyl paint(spray can). I sprayed a set of metallic blue inside door cards from a 78 Scirocco that were used in my 80 for 6 years. The paint was perfect, flawless and extremely easy to apply. They stayed perfect until someone spilled metallic silver from one of those marker pens on it and that wouldn't come off. No biggy, just pull the card and respray. Make sure you clean really well. I took them out of the car yesterday after 6 years of use and the paint is excellent, no chips. I also did the tan colored rear panels and they are the same. This stuff is too thin to chip and very flexible.
SEM stuff is available from auto supply stores and suppliers for autobody shops. There are atleast 10 places in the Vancouver area that carry it. It is not expensive.
James.

[Modified by A1Rocco, 7:58 PM 11-26-2001]
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.