VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

6901 - 6920 of 6941 Posts

·
Registered
45,971 Posts
McMike, a challenger appears

·
Premium Member
'20 V60, '14 ATS
11,849 Posts
Mother of God, the full screen button now works for embedded YouTube videos. This was the only site where it didn't work, never could figure out why.

·
Premium Member
'09 GTI, 02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,041 Posts
I do not love lawnmower! I know it's almost out of season, but I recently inherited my grandmother's Honda push mower. I've been using a 20 year old Lawn Boy for a couple years now, and I was under the impression that Honda made the best, most reliable, easiest to use mowers out there so I figured it would be a huge improvement.

I do like the engine. It starts on like half a pull; it's super easy to start and it also seems to have plenty of power. I only used it for the last mow of the season here and to mulch up some remaining leaves, but still it had no issues. The chassis, however, has two of the worst ergonomic fails I've come across.

First is this throttle lever that has the typical choke and throttle, and because this mower has a blade clutch system, the engine's ignition shutoff. If you go anywhere near a bush, this lever gets pushed all the way down by a branch and the mower tries to kill itself. It happens constantly and is super annoying. I could live with that one, but the self propel system...

It's activated by twisting downward on this little plastic flap thing with only your thumbs. Unlike any other self propel I've used which uses a standard handle width bar that can be naturally gripped, this Honda unit feels totally unnatural to use, and after about 15 mins of mowing, it starts to become painful. It's a terrible design; the exact opposite of what I was expecting. Who came up with this? I really hope the new ones have something better.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
View attachment 52202

It's activated by twisting downward on this little plastic flap thing with only your thumbs. Unlike any other self propel I've used which uses a standard handle width bar that can be naturally gripped, this Honda unit feels totally unnatural to use, and after about 15 mins of mowing, it starts to become painful. It's a terrible design; the exact opposite of what I was expecting. Who came up with this? I really hope the new ones have something better.
You can rotate the paddles to a better position. I have mine at a postion to where when I grip the handle the palm of my hand just rest on the paddle and the weight of my hand keeps it at a good walking pace.

·
Premium Member
'09 GTI, 02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,041 Posts
You can rotate the paddles to a better position. I have mine at a postion to where when I grip the handle the palm of my hand just rest on the paddle and the weight of my hand keeps it at a good walking pace.
Aaaah, I'll have to try that out. Good to know. (y)

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
34,158 Posts
For the price of that old HRR, you could've had something built within the last 15yrs from Honda.

·
34,158 Posts
I got a postcard in the mail from Honda saying they're extending my warranty from 5 to 6 years. I'd like to think that Metalitubby did that for me personally :D
I did design the card you received. At least there is that.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I did design the card you received. At least there is that.
Dude, do you do everything at Honda? What kind of job title has you designing warranty mailings, working on multiple production lines, and gives you access to parts? Are you one of those secret CEOs that is on Undercover Boss? :D:D

In all seriousness, we certainly appreciate all the support and insight on Honda stuff from you.

·
34,158 Posts
I don’t know what you mean by that. I inherited it; it was free.
Hence my point. I was assuming that your mower was inherited or received for free because no one pays actual money for a 15+yr old HRR model mower. While they aren't junk, they definitely were designed for a price-point.

Dude, do you do everything at Honda? What kind of job title has you designing warranty mailings, working on multiple production lines, and gives you access to parts?
My group is technically under the Publications Group, where I do odds-and-ends to help the group meet their deadlines. The factory line work was because of COVID and the fallout relating to lack of employees to help build product. Yes, I really CAN do it all, but it wears me out sometimes.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My group is technically under the Publications Group, where I do odds-and-ends to help the group meet their deadlines. The factory line work was because of COVID and the fallout relating to lack of employees to help build product. Yes, I really CAN do it all, but it wears me out sometimes.
Ah, I understand now. I thought the factory work was a normal part of your job!

On yard related topics, we're finishing up planting the last of the tulip and daffodil bulbs before the ground starts freezing. We've already planted ~400 tulip bulbs and ~100 anemone bulbs. Would have been a huge pain without an auger. I originally bought a cheap $15 one from Lowes, but the two or three tack welds between the shaft and screw didn't hold up long to our clay soil. Spent a bit more money to get a 2" diameter x 7" long and 3" diameter x 24" PowerPlanter augers. They're much more substantial, with the screw 100% welded to the shaft.

Also bought a pair of green mountain boxwoods to flank the steps to the front door. Home Depot had a great price on them compared to the nursery I usually go to. Hoping to get them in the ground this weekend.

·
Registered
27,772 Posts
Removed the mower deck from the tractor this morning. Cleaned it and will just leave it in the garage. Will sharpen the blades and spray the deck with dry silicone spray in the spring before putting it back on.

Didn't put the plow and chains on the tractor since I haven't used the plow the past few years. They are easy enouogh to put on if I need to.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts
Someone's mowing their lawn. They started at 10am. It's about 38* out, frost on the ground, and the grass hasn't grown in at least 3 weeks.

I can't see if it's a landscape service or not. That would make sense.

·
34,158 Posts
Someone's mowing their lawn. They started at 10am. It's about 38* out, frost on the ground, and the grass hasn't grown in at least 3 weeks.
Do you just hear the engine(s) or have you seen them? Most all of our engines sound the same, whether it be powering a log splitter, chipper/shredder or lawn mower.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts

I can't see if it's a landscape service or not. That would make sense.
I sometimes “mow” just because it sucks up and shreds all the crap on my lawn like leaves and small sticks and stuff.

·
Registered
15,504 Posts
Someone in this thread has a John Deere 1025(ish sized machine), but I'm too lazy to wade thru all the green-stained new balances to find out who. Any idea who it is? I'm looking at one right now and would prefer an owner's opinion - the sales department thinks they are GREAT! :)

·
34,158 Posts
Someone in this thread has a John Deere 1025(ish sized machine), but I'm too lazy to wade thru all the green-stained new balances to find out who. Any idea who it is? I'm looking at one right now and would prefer an owner's opinion - the sales department thinks they are GREAT! :)
I think PatrickVR6/Sonderwusch has one.

·
34,158 Posts
I'm still waiting on the honda z-turn. WHY WON"T YOU BUILD ONE!
I saw it on Thursday if it's any consolation. The frame parts are being build by a high-end company to our specs, and then our new 700-800 EFI engines are going on them. The pre-production ZTRs are pretty damned nice though.

·
Registered
15,504 Posts
I saw it on Thursday if it's any consolation. The frame parts are being build by a high-end company to our specs, and then our new 700-800 EFI engines are going on them. The pre-production ZTRs are pretty damned nice though.
ohhh fancy...what kind of sizes will you offer (if I can ask).

6901 - 6920 of 6941 Posts