VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever since buying the front clip for my Outback swap I've been working on trying to figure out what else could be needed. This need turned into a hunt, where I jumped head-first into digging in every esoteric, badly-translated corner of the Japanese parts scene for 2 things I need and 30 I don't. The clip has everything but a downpipe, and lucky me, not a damn thing about the turbo setup is shared with my USDM Scooby or any Impreza; in fact, Subaru made two different, car-specific twin-scroll setups for the Impreza and Legacy with zero interchangeability. Why? I have no frigging idea.

I knew this going in. Since the differences between a VF38/44/45/TD04HLA and the Impreza's VF36/37/39/53 were obvious, I figured it was just a matter of looking for the wacky flange on the turbine outlet. On top of that, the auto and manual downpipes are specific, as the auto needs a different bend in the pipe to clean the fluid pan. That said, I have read that the auto DP can be used with a manual as long as you get custom flanges welded on, so I decided to err on the side of caution and get an auto downpipe. If I stick with the 5EAT it's a straight bolt-in, if I do install the Spec-B 6mt its quick work at an exhaust shop. I know this because of hours of reading and research, thank god some of our English-speaking UK and Aussie brethern have experience with the 2.0GT Legacy (or Liberty in kangaroo land because of a name rights issue).

The internet is thick with Impreza twin-scroll parts, I would have used them instead had I just done a normal engine rebuild. I had found a Legacy-specific HKS downpipe on eBay Malaysia a month or so ago for $750, but didn't buy it because of the price, I'm trying to be cheap after buying the clip. However, I found it easily, so I thought "Eh, this will be fine." I started by searching eBay worldwide, but in the past month or so I've seen exactly 2 other downpipes listed. In the world. I misjudged that everyone used eBay, and Japanese use is almost non-existent. Ugh.

So, I google "japan auctions," and get quite a few results. I got some promising-looking returns, and started trying to find a few parts. Yahoo Auctions Japan is by far the best thing I found as far as actual direct contact with parts available in Japan (i.e., from normal people), but its a pain because there is little to no translation, and its not built to be used outside of Japan. I got discouraged pretty easily here, so went back and tried another search result. Croooober is another Japanese auction site, but has good translation and was made with English-speakers in mind, but after a few attempts to buy something I was told they do not ship exhaust pipes, so shot down again. Finally, I found a site called Buyee, it is a proxy service which covers several classified and auction sites - you buy something, the seller ships it to Buyee, then Buyee ships it to me.

There are A TON of used automatic downpipes out there for the EJ20X, almost a suspiciously high amount, as if they were part of a TSB or something. I'd guess there about an 8:1 ratio versus the available 5MT EJ20Y downpipes; the 6mt downpipes are rare, and used ones are like finding a great white elk. There are also several companies who make them, some like the HKS are 3", while others are 2.5". I also found stock cats/pipes for dirt-cheap, like $25 for the cat and $75 for the back-section that bolts to the cat, but if I'm doing this right I'm not going to use an OEM choker pipe. After a month of translating and searching every damn thing I could think of I finally "bought" a used HKS downpipe last night, let's see if Buyee is able to actually send it across the ocean.

I will totally admit that finding an actual JDM-specific downpipe for sale isn't that tough, there are a lot of new ones listed as long as you know what to look for and aren't afraid of spending the money; a new downpipe goes for around $800 or more new, then tack on whatever shipping is, and make sure that is really will fit your weird setup before dropping money on a part that some wrenchead is selling the other side of the world. Last thing to consider? The JDM exhaust is shorter than the USDM one, so I'll probably need an adapter pipe. Yep, this was all totally easier than just rebuilding mine :rolleyes:

This is what the Buyee interface looks like, I focused on the search terms below and only translated the listings when I was interested. In a funny twist its actually easy to pick out the search terms, they stand out against the kanji descriptions.

Reference tags for Subaru nerds:
ej20x, ej20y, bl, bl5, (a,b,c), (a-c), bp, bp5, (d,e,f), (d-f), vf38, vf44, vf45, td04hla, at, 5eat, 5mt, 6mt, hks, 33005-af005 (AT), 33005-af006 (5MT), 33005-af011 (6MT), zero sports, sard, 89048 (5MT), 89049 (6MT), catalyst, catalyzer, front pipe

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
I just used jauce at the suggestion of someone else on here and the fees were pretty high actually depending what you buy. Its 8% of the total auction, plus 3.9% to deposit funds to pay for said item, plus 400 yen when you win the auction, plus a 300 yen fee, plus a 2,000 yen basic shipping fee, a 300 yen fee for them to repack it, and +120 yen per KG. So if you just bought a 1,000 yen book, it ends up being like $50. If you bought a 10,000 yen book, I guess it would end up being like $150. So the markup is like 30-80% basically after all is said and done. Pretty high...

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was a timely post, today I've spent the afternoon (after breakfast and Logan) figuring out what to do for delivery, its sitting in the warehouse waiting to go home. The delivery company didn't want to drop off the clip since it exceeded the limit of the liftgate by 153lbs. I blinked 2 or even 3 times when I heard this, and I'm actually still trying to figure it out (too bad the weekend just happened). I threw up a listing on uShip and am going to get a quote Monday from a freight broker, worst comes to worst I put it on a UHaul and hoist it off, that's worst-case scenario though.

Its so close yet so far, all over 2/3rds the weight of the driver...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Why are you making it like that? you can just buy a used Coob AP and DP from cnt racing and you will be in the 14's all day long. I have a 04 Forester XT auto, found that CNTracing has catted downpipes really cheap. I got me a Cobb AP V3 but you can still get a V1 or V2 an call it a day. Screw buying the japanasese parts. The US market supports the 2.0 and 2.5 engines. PM me if you want.

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I can't, the entire turbo setup is JDM-specific to the Legacy, every part has a different flange than the twin-scroll Impreza or USDM anything.

TS Legacy:

TS Impreza:

USDM TD04:

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
fwiw I've sent exhaust components (including complete turbos) with no trouble to the states from here.

My guess is crooooooooober doesn't want to bother with exhaust pipes because the dimensions usually exceed what can be sent via EMS or regular post.

Source: Used to work for Upgarage (aka Croooooooooooober)

good luck

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^ Nice! Could you ship me parts? :laugh:

I figured it was some kind of excuse, the frustrating thing is the whole site makes you think its all about shipping to English-speaking countries. A downpipe isn't anything more than a big box, its not some heavy or oversized item, let's see what Buyee has to offer. This whole importation process hasn't been difficult, its mostly just doing homework and thinking outside of the box to find info and resources for parts.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I've used Buyee before. Not for car parts but for restaurant equipment. The whole thing was incredibly professional. They inspected and re-packed my merchandise so it could survive an international trip and communicated the entire process. It was pretty reasonably priced too.

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
I've used Buyee before. Not for car parts but for restaurant equipment. The whole thing was incredibly professional. They inspected and re-packed my merchandise so it could survive an international trip and communicated the entire process. It was pretty reasonably priced too.
What was the value of that equipment?

Just as a side note, I tried RHDJapan for a small part and not only is their website and credit card system cumbersome, their service was pretty rude. I'm not really sure if I can recommend them, has anybody else tried them?

·
Registered
84,109 Posts

·
Goes in two directions
'14 RAV4Runner, '13 500 Abarth Pastabox, '20 Corolla Smurf Edition
3,653 Posts
No, I can't, the entire turbo setup is JDM-specific to the Legacy, every part has a different flange than the twin-scroll Impreza or USDM anything.

TS Legacy:

TS Impreza:

USDM TD04:
While noble, and if "cuz it's my money" is the answer then that's fine, but please forgive me. Is the USDM 2.5 XT not already turbocharged? Is there some sort of gain from going with the full JDM setup vs a well sorted USDM 2.5? This seems like an outrageous task to take on for the sake of getting $6K worth of Subaru back on the road with all the other project cars sitting around as well.

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Cale, I might try that if I ever find a deal on a white Spec-C roof vent! I have the use the USDM intake stuff, and since its just a swap its both A) easy and B) gives me a reason to install a bigger turbo inlet; I have been contemplating a few other things but I'd rather use as few variables as possible since it'll need to get tuned, the inlet is a PITA so might as well while the intake manifold it already off. The Outback is already a turbo (XT), I'm doing this because of low compression on my EJ25, big surprise. Also, don't worry, both my vehicles and I are always fully-gassed up.

Ok, instead of having two threads, let's merge this back into the real one :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
About $170 or so.
Nice not too expensive then and you still had a good experience. I feel like some of these sites don't really want to deal with 'small fish' buyers / purchases.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
I've got a JDM Ver8 STI Twin scroll downpipe sitting here and yeah the flange looks totally different from what you've pictured.

I deal with a lot of JDM parts and can say for sure, Legacy parts really aren't all the common. BTW, good luck with finding a deal on a roof vent :) They seem to sell for the same if not more used than new.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts