VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
82,499 Posts
The Dodge vans are absolutely miserable to drive. Despite the facelift they never really got the updates the Chevy and Ford vans got in the '90s and '00s.
True- but being old school means they are also somewhat old school to repair.

I doubt any van full of crap is going to be fun to drive.

That reminds me of the time I was driving the family minivan and several passengers had coffee..... and I took my favorite clover leaf corner at speed.
My family knows some very good curse words- but they only seem to come out in moments of pain. :laugh: :facepalm:

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
As much as I love the Eurovan I'd probably end up with the Astro :beer:

And I just wanted to back up your thoughts about a capped pickup. I went from an Express to a capped F-150 and while it's a lot nicer to drive man does it suck having to beat your knees up every time you need something from within the bed.

·
Registered
41,840 Posts

Then I stumbled on the Eurovan Transporter. It's rated at a full ton, which far exceeds my needs there. Massive amounts of cargo room. It comes with a built-in partition already. I've heard that most maintenance items are straightforward, as it is a FWD VW, save for parts costs. Oh, and they commonly came with 5spd and a diesel.

Am I crazy for thinking this will fit my needs? Any other input or suggestions?
:heart: canada...

·
Registered
82,499 Posts
Rated for the same mpg as the 5.4 (actually 1 LESS on the highway). So once again I'll ask, why put up with v8 economy without v8 power?
And the early 4.2 V6s had some issues(which is why the are cheap used).

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
A previous employer used a VR6 Eurovan. I loved driving that thing, it had plenty o' powah and really surprised me in the handling department -- for a van.

TONS of space too.

Other than oil changes and your usual wear & tear items, the van was maintenance free. When I started working there it had 65k and when I left it had over 150k on the clock. That van carried multiple (complete) motors several times a week, TONS and TONS of tires/wheels, and constantly got driven hard.....and I mean really, really, really hard.

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
39,592 Posts
A previous employer used a VR6 Eurovan. I loved driving that thing, it had plenty o' powah and really surprised me in the handling department -- for a van.

TONS of space too.

Other than oil changes and your usual wear & tear items, the van was maintenance free. When I started working there it had 65k and when I left it had over 150k on the clock. That van carried multiple (complete) motors several times a week, TONS and TONS of tires/wheels, and constantly got driven hard.....and I mean really, really, really hard.
And just north of 150k is where the VR6 equipped vehicles start getting needy.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
And just north of 150k is where the VR6 equipped vehicles start getting needy.
I can't attest to this. But what I can attest to is that they still use the van, I don't know if any repairs have been done since I've left though.

Also, my good friends use a Eurovan pulling an 8x10(I think?) enclosed trailer for their bands touring. The van does exceptionally well and the passenger compartment makes it really easy(and comfy!) to do touring. I went on the road with them for a few weeks as their sound guy and I would totally a take a Eurovan on tour over a 15 passenger anything any day -- as long as there were less than 5 guys on tour(only 4 that time around).

·
Registered
82,499 Posts

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Yes they were, in Canada. I assume the OP is Canadian.
The Diesel VW Transporter was not very common except for Pepsi who had a very large fleet of them. I remember seeing fleets of blue diesel Transporters around Winnipeg as a child, they had custom shift knobs with Pepsi logos on them as well. My father would always comment when he saw them "someone at Pepsi must be a VW nut". I see them around to this day without the Pepsi logo's, loud, and looking like a junkyard dog.
Also, I have yet to see one more then 8 years old without rust.

This in Pepsi blue with Pepi shift knob and Pepsi logo's over the VW logo's on the wheel covers.

·
Registered
82,499 Posts

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
47,986 Posts
Eurovan is easy if you know vws, suspension is particular but the engine is a 5 cyl audi (our is it 4 cyl? either way same as basically all vw diesels), electrical is same as all 90s vws, trans is 02a like all higher power 90s vws.

Transporter (as they called it in canada in panel form) is a nice hauler.

·
Registered
82,499 Posts
Eurovan is easy if you know vws, suspension is particular but the engine is a 5 cyl audi (or is it 4 cyl? .
irony :laugh:

21 - 40 of 63 Posts