VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I havent looked at the car yet but this is what the symptoms are:
All of a sudden when the girlfriends sister was driving her 1991 Cabb it started idling like crazy. So she shut it off and that was it.
I guess it drives it self: )
Anyways I had her unplug the ISV while running and the idle went down and then the car shut off.
Then she pluged the isv back in and restarted the car. It still was idling at like 5 grand.
The throttle cable is fine....
Is thsi throttle body related, gas related?
Maybe a dirty fuel filter, and its running lean?
Any help suggestions is cool
Andrew

·
Banned
643 Posts
Re: I need a doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help with Cabby (aburchell44)

91 is digifant no? I'd start with the Oxygen sensor. It is cheap and easy if it is the problem. If it is not the problem it is expensive (about 140 if you buy the correct one, 35 if you buy the universal one). also, buy a can of carb cleaner and clean out the ISV. these things get F'n filthy! And last but not least, pull your ICM (located in the rain tray underneath the ECU) and take it to autozone and test it. don't just test it once, hit the test button about 30 times so that it gets hot- these things rarely fail when cold. after doing the lastt wo things first I finally discovered that my problem was the oxygen sensor - wish i would have done that first.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I need a doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help with Cabby (forrestking)

Thanks for the ideas. I cleaned the ISV and even tried a used one. That wasnt the problem, although when I unhoiok it it runs well, and then when I plug it back in it runs to like 4000 rpm.
Ill unhook the O2 sensor with the isv in tonight and see what happens.
Also cleaned the TB, put new plugs wires, rotor, and cap (Just for maintanance).
I also threw in a Can of Fuel cleaner.

Thansk again.
Any other suggestions...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: I need a doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help with Cabby (aburchell44)

I unhooked the O2 sensor and it still revved like crazy. The car works perfect with the ISV unhooked???? Anyway I guess shell just run it like that for a while....
ANdrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.