VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, 2005 Mk IV Jetta, 2.0L 8v, 58000 miles.
I Have searched the forum for a while and cant find a fix.
Heres the Problem...
Changed out my grenaded plastic water pump with a nice metal one
and now I cant get the engine to go over 3000 rpm...
It just stays right at 3000 and doesnt go any higher.
no check engine light
check all electrical connections
vaccuum lines look good
I did have a slight problem when a buddy that was helping me
was messing with the crank pulley, so I pulled the cam and reset everything to TDC. engine idles and drives fine until it hits 3000 rpm's
I'm at a loss.....any help is appreciated

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I Need Help at 3000 RPM (mikebyuma)

ok so I ordered the camshaft position sensor and I cannot find it on the car. I know where it should be but its not there. I got the book and it clearly shows where it should be, then I go look on the car and nothing is there....not even the electrical connector. Did they put it somewhere else on this model or am I just retarded?
Here is a pic of the place where it should be...and it can clearly be seen its not there...

· Registered
7,756 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mikebyuma »

Follow that wire harness going from area of #1 injector across valve cover under #1 intake runner. The CPS should be at the end of it.

· Registered
7,756 Posts

There's a few things on your engine that are different than the earlier MK4 2.0L AZG/AVH... You have a way different cam gear. So, stands to reason others things like the CPS may also be different (updated) on the late MK4 2.0L.

· Registered
7,756 Posts

For the good of the vortex community, would you mind taking some pictures of that new style CPS and how it mounts to motor? And of that new cam gear.
I'm curious how they are picking up the cam postion for possible uses on hybrid projects.
Thanks,
Rey

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

well i found out the cylindrical thing on the back is some valve, not sure what the valve is or does but the part number is 06A 906 455 B.
So now I am begining to the the cam sensor is on the distributor but as the name of the Hall Sensor...gonna replace that and see what happens. will get some pics up tomorrow for you all. I'm new to all this VW stuff but I am learning quickly!

Modified by mikebyuma at 8:51 PM 8-9-2008

· Banned
1,343 Posts
Re: I Need Help at 3000 RPM (elRey)

Quote, originally posted by elRey »
For the good of the vortex community, would you mind taking some pictures of that new style CPS and how it mounts to motor? And of that new cam gear.
I'm curious how they are picking up the cam postion for possible uses on hybrid projects.
Thanks,
Rey

# 3 is the cam sensor
#24 is the adjuster

Modified by Vortexpert at 10:45 PM 8-10-2008

· Registered
5 Posts
Re: I Need Help at 3000 RPM (Vortexpert)

i am having the same exact problem. my car runs fine until it hits 3000-3200 rpm then it levels out as if there's a rev limiter on it. of course my check engine light came on, had that checked and had a new engine coolant sensor and cat. converter put on, ran great for a a week and a half and then same thing happened. took it to vw dealership and they said its the camshaft position sensor that's bad. of course they wanted $600+ to fix it but i found a place that's going to do it for $250. that better be all there it is too because i replaced timing belt (after water pump went out) last may.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.