VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this should probably go in the Suspension Forum but I wanted an A1 perspective only.
Ok. I have three options. FK coilovers, H&R Cup Kit, or Bilstein/Eibach combo. Each are going to cost me roughly about the same. I have been going over this for quite a few weeks now. My concerns:
With the F&K's I have heard of seizing problems. I would like to have the adjustability for winter and summer driving as I live in a snowy region. But don't want to be worried about getting 1 maybe 2 summers on them.
My other option would be to go..
With the H&R's and the Bilstein/Eibach. I am afraid of getting locked into a ride height especially if the suspension settles, which I am hearing can happen. Can anyone with either of these set up's confirm?
Thanks for your help. I need to make up my mind by the end of the week and I would like some more info.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I need help deciding on Suspension for Cabby. (oldman)

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a particular reason for H&R? I have quite a few friends with the cup kit and they LOVE it too. But none of them have an A1.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Re: I need help deciding on Suspension for Cabby. (vdubchick92)

Just hearsay mostly, I also know that alot of european racing stuff has them on it. Wish I could offer better reasons or even a testimonial. they're just too far outa' my price range for now.

·
Banned
1,887 Posts

Honestly, go with the H+R cup kit. More on this in a minute.
FK's are nice. I havent owned a car with them, the few cars i've ridden in with them (no Mk1's) ride decent, not as well as H+R or Koni coils ride, but not as harsh as Patec or avo's do. The seizing problem I cannot comment on, any coilover adjuster will seize on the housing if not kept lubricated and clean.
Bilstein/eibach - I had this on my jetta. Awesome handling, sweet drop, nice stance. Punishing ride. Not the best if your roads are bad.
The cup kit is a much better ride than the B+E combo, not as much of a handling monster, but still quite nice, as you would expect from a matched spring/shock combo. You also have H+R's warranty, which is nice plus. bilstein's warranty is inronclad as well, FK.....well, the warranty is only as good as the importer, and thats all I can say on that. Go with the cup kit, you'll be happy

·
Registered
626 Posts

from what i understand winter roads are bad in n.y.so the cup kit might be too much of a drop for winter.i am using tokicos and ground control coilovers and like the ride from them.any a1 dropped too low will ride bad there just isnt enough travel to go slammed with and have a decent ride.i have had jamex springs in the past and diddnt like the ride they were to stiff and dropped the car2.5"have used neuspeed softsports before and liked that setup with just boges.but it didnt drop the car but almost an inch.well hope this may help in some wat

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Re: I need help deciding on Suspension for Cabby. (JtKVento)

I have Eibach Sportlines on my car (1.75'' drop) and I love them. The only complaint I have is the rear looks lower than the front. Typical A1, but it seems a little more exaggerated. Still, it looks pretty good and the ride is decent. Night and day compared to the stock stuff.

·
Banned
1,887 Posts

Actually, I have KW coils on it now

I have the cup kit in my cabby, rides very nice, the drop is a lil bit lower in the rear, I need some bonrath strut bearing to even it out, but otherwise, a nice drop all around.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts

I've got a H&R cupkit for sale...
Never used, still in the box. $600 shipped.
(Before you ask, the reason I'm selling is because I got too good of a deal on coilovers).

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Re: I need help deciding on Suspension for Cabby. (RobinG)

Haven't installed anything yet. I've got a garage full of new parts for this thing and I've only owned it 2 months. I'm waiting until I get it painted this summer to put everything on. It should be nearly a brand new car by then.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Re: I need help deciding on Suspension for Cabby. (4Rings)

i run my cabby at 24"from the ground to the top crest of the wheel arch.i put 24 1/8 on the drivers side to compensate for my 200 pound butt.i work in georgrtown what mods do you have?it can go lower but i dont like hitting the bumpstops it makes the car jittery in corners when it bottoms on the bumpstops then puts the frontend in a bind .

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: I need help deciding on Suspension for Cabby. (tibbar)

Splitmeister....I'd be really interested in seeing pics of your cabby. To kinda get a feel of what to expect.
Thanks for the info guys. I think I am down to the FK's or the H&R's. I am really leery of making a rash decision...I've been disappointed with Suspension kits before and would like to spend the extra and get something really good.
Also I was reading the Bilstein site and the warranty is only good if you keep the stock height. I take it that if you use lowering springs...warranty is no good. Would this then be a plus to getting the cup "kit".

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Re: I need help deciding on Suspension for Cabby. (4Rings)

Why would you wait to put all the toys on until AFTER the new paint goes on 4rings? I would suggest that you do all the mechanical work first so that the paint is perfect when the car is finnished. Impact guns and wrenches are to brand new paint as baby puke is to a clean shirt if you get my drift..
Sorry didn't mean to loose focus on the post, just trying to help..

·
Banned
1,887 Posts

Here's a pic of my cab when it was just finished last year, not the best, but it may help...

I'll try to snap a few of it now, I have teardrop on it for the winter, and my sister has scratched it up nicely
Oh well..
The coils on my jetta, well, I got a lil bit carried away while crankin em down, I'll see if I can snap some pics

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Re: I need help deciding on Suspension for Cabby. (oldman)

No, no, no. Work will commence when I'm ready to paint. All the little bolt-ons (new bumpers, window seals, carpet, seats, wheels, etc) won't be a problem since they will have to come off to paint the car anyways. All mechanical (read: engine, brakes and what-not) will be done beforehand.

[Modified by 4Rings, 9:00 AM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
4,988 Posts

i know its not what you asked BUT it might help you decide.
i run neuspeed sport lowering and bilstein sports. great ride, nice and firm but not a kidney rattler, decent drop, no rear lower that front stuff. im really pleased with it. id like to go a bit lower, but i like the quaility of the ride too much, especially with the ****ty roads here. here is a pic, the height is kinda decieveing since im sitting down for this pic, it looks a tad bit higher than actual, but you can tell by the tire to fender clearence the actual height.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Re: I need help deciding on Suspension for Cabby. (splitmeister)

quote:[HR][/HR]FK's are nice. I havent owned a car with them, the few cars i've ridden in with them (no Mk1's) ride decent, not as well as H+R or Koni coils ride, but not as harsh as Patec or avo's do. [HR][/HR]​
FK's have Koni shocks! So they do ride very decently. Well, at least the fully adjustable FK's (blue coils, not yellows) have Konis. I believe the shocks of non-adjustable FK's are Sachs although the ride is supposely still good.
I have the fully adjustables with Konis in my MK3 and I love them - I can adjust the dampening on top of the struts in seconds by just opening the hood and turning the knob (too soft - bouncy? then turn the little knob counter-clockwise to make the suspension firmer). There are three levels of firmness: Soft - city driving, Medium - sport driving, and Stiff - race. I'm planning to get FKs for my MK1 as well... or KW's (very popular in Europe), which aren't very different.
I personally haven't heard about seizing problems with FK's from anyone, but splitmeister is right - any coilover adjuster can seize.
No worries - Fk's have a lifetime warranty, just check with a retailer. I got mine from [email protected] last Summer.
I also heard great things about H&R Cup Kits, but I have not driven cars with them so I may be a little baised although I have heard of some people being very happy with their upgrade from Cup Kits to FK coilovers. I had the same worries about being unsatisified with a static ride height, so I gladly opted for coilovers - it was worth it and they still work as well today as when they were new a year ago.

[Modified by Malone, 12:46 PM 4-11-2002]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.