VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have had my car for a little while now, my sensor came on saying that my oil pressure is low. I had my oil pressure sensor switched but i am still having the sensor come on. So i am guessing that i will need a whole new oil pump. I also know that since i am now at 94k miles i need a new timing chain and water pump.. So my question is.....
HOW Much WILL IT COST ME TO GET A NEW OIL PUMP, TIMING CHAIN AND WATER PUMP?

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Re: I NEED HELP! my vr6 is crying (vrsexmike)

water pump / oil pump are ~$60 each.
Timing chain KIT is like $230 for parts and around $1000 in labor.... (water/oil pump can also be done for minimal extras)
EDIT: Yes one grand. You have to remove the transmission to get to the lower chains. (Time for a clutch?)

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Re: I NEED HELP! my vr6 is crying (MeiK)

Quote, originally posted by MeiK »
I agree with PhReE - Do the clutch and rear main seal, too! I'd also say $1000 is a semi-conservative estimate.

edit: Don't let that discourage you - once that's all done - you shouldn't need to worry for another 100K miles.

Yeah, this is all true. personally I expect to get another 100k miles out of this motor myself!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Re: (vrsexmike)

^^^ Look at the odometer. If it's near, at, or passed 100K miles...
That's usually a good way to figure it out. It's just preventative maintenance...
If the chain guides go and the chain skips a tooth you are pretty well screwed.
So that's not usually the thing to wait for. A noisy chain is a good indicator - but in my opinion it's stupid to wait that long when it should just be done with normal maintenance schedules... 100K is the "big one" in terms of price but it's also the most important.

·
Registered
25,795 Posts
Re: (MeiK)

You guys are crazy.. my '03 GTi 24v has 135,000 on it.. original clutch, original chains.. hell original everything..
It runs as well as it ever has and I don't plan on touching a thing for a LONG long time..
the 24v does *not* need the replacement of parts like the 12v did.. that goes for the chains as well as the crackpipe..

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Re: (PowerDubs)

Quote, originally posted by PowerDubs »
You guys are crazy.. my '03 GTi 24v has 135,000 on it.. original clutch, original chains.. hell original everything..
It runs as well as it ever has and I don't plan on touching a thing for a LONG long time..
the 24v does *not* need the replacement of parts like the 12v did.. that goes for the chains as well as the crackpipe..

Unless you stretch the chain
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Re: (PowerDubs)

Quote, originally posted by PowerDubs »

My crackpipe started leaking at 60K. I've seen 12V VR6s last over 200K miles on the stock chain & guides... That's not to say they shouldn't be done at the advised 100K (now 90K) service.
Advice like, "ahhh leave it - it'll be fine" always leaves a bunch of people open to shot cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.