VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a pretty darn good deal on a commuter car. I can pick up a 2000 Ford Taurus SES with 3.0 24 valve V6. It is in pristine condition, not a scratch on the outside and the inside was covered in plastic!!!!! It has 39K on the odometer. Almost all of the miles on it were highway miles. It comes with Traction control and ABS, Dual Power seats, Climate control, Alloy Wheels, heated mirrors, folding rear seats, cloth interior, the works (only it doesn't have a CD player...). I can get it for $5,500.00!!!
The owner has all of the service records and it was brought to every scheduled appt....
What do you think? Should I snatch it up?

·
Registered
27,736 Posts
Re: I need help on a 2000 Ford Taurus!!!! (Methalius)

If you walk away now, you may be able to wash that cars stink off, lol.

·
Registered
Multiple Mazdas
7,220 Posts
$5500? Can't beat that price, but something's not right. There's no reason the car should be that cheap, there almost certainly has to be something wrong with it.

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I need help on a 2000 Ford Taurus!!!! (03kpa)

Quote, originally posted by 03kpa »
$5500? Can't beat that price, but something's not right. There's no reason the car should be that cheap, there almost certainly has to be something wrong with it.

The dealership my mother in law works for took it in as a trade in and they completely undercut the seller.... She knew I was looking for a commuter car and gave me shout. I swung by this morning and took it out for a spin and it was really a solid car. The mechanic said that everything is in great shape...

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: I need help on a 2000 Ford Taurus!!!! (SeattleGLI)

Quote, originally posted by SeattleGLI »
why so cheap?
and why not just use the Mk4 for that?

I gave my wife that car while I have been driving the Exploder. I was going to pick up a Mk3 Golf or Jetta for my commuter but this is too sweet of a deal to pass up on...

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Methalius »

I gave my wife that car while I have been driving the Exploder. I was going to pick up a Mk3 Golf or Jetta for my commuter but this is too sweet of a deal to pass up on...

Well, a used car in top condition with full records for a low price sounds like a good deal, if everything checks out (no severe crash damage that has been repaired, etc.). Just make sure that you like the Taurus.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Re: I need help on a 2000 Ford Taurus!!!! (tjl)

Thats a pretty good deal and sounds like a loaded SES or SEL.
My mother just got a 2002 SES with 17k on it, but not nearly the amount of goodies the car you are looking at has for 10 grand. It was a dealership special on specifically equipped SES's. Go for it

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

The cars have atorcious resale value. At traderonline.com, there are 150 2000 Tauruses from $5,000 - $6,000 right now. Of course, most of them have higher mileage than this one.
It's a good price if you want a Taurus and if the colors are to your liking. But I wouldn't get it just to be getting it. If she can get you this deal on this car, she can get you a smiliar deal on another car, perhaps closer to what you're looking for. Even the Contour SE V6 5 speed cars are plenty of fun if you slap some sticky tires on them and their resale is just as bad as that of the Taurus.

·
Registered
Multiple Mazdas
7,220 Posts
If you're absolutely sure there's nothing majorly wrong with the car, then go for it. My dad got a well-equipped '01 Taurus SES as a loaner car while his Explorer was being repaired and was so impressed with it that he would have bought one to replace my mom's car ('93 Taurus) if we had more money available at the time.
Like others have said the resale value of the Taurus is pretty bad, but if you're buying used and never intend to sell it (run it 'til it dies, basically) then it's a bargain. They're fleet favorites for a reason - not too expensive to buy, pretty cheap to run and maintain, and they'll take a beating and keep going.

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I now own a Taurus

Well, I bought it last night. I dragged my wife over after work last night and we played around with it a bit. It is hard to believe the car is over 3 years old. There literally isn't a scratch, ding, or mark on it. Even the windshield (original) doesn't have a scratch on it. The engine is completely solid. No rattles, ticks, or any other kind of unusual noises at all. I spoke with the mechanic that looked at her and he said that that it is one of the best mechanically sound cars he has ever taken in. The brakes are better than 50% and the dealership put on brand new tires.
I bought the Premium Care Extended Warranty for 4 years and 48,000 miles and I am having a 6 disc changer put in the trunk.
The total price was just over $6,200.00. I can't believe that I bought another vehicle but I am happy to get a good, solid, and best of all inexpensive commuter car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts