VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick background, Installing a Clarion in place of a Bose system. (98 jetta). The cd Sound was cutting out... Radio worked. CD Player would play, but sound would cut out after a second and the player would still count. Track count and song count would continue...
I ran a better, thicker ground to a bolt underneith the dash. It was a good metal bolt, on the tranny/dif hump... (advice from the "Texors") It still does not work.
I noticed something... My wire adapter harness has three wires unaccounted for. The blue, power Ant, which I don't need and two brown wires???

One of the browns seems to match up to the factory plug, that is blank. The other brown seems to match up to a brown with a white strip on the factory harness...
Any ideas if this is the problem. What is the Brown W/wht stripe on the factory harness? What are the brown wires for on the adapter harness??? If this is not the problem, what the heck is??

BTW... HU works fine in my old car still... Tried it several times.....

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: I need help sooooo bad... Aftermarket HU Install (B166eR - VW)

B166eR - VW said:
What is the Brown W/wht stripe on the factory harness? What are the brown wires for on the adapter harness??? QUOTE]
Brown W/ White stripe, on the factory harness, looks to be a "speed Scensor"
What the heck is that for? Anyway, still don't know what the two browns are on the adaptor...

·
Registered
2013 Passat SE 2.5, 2019 Atlas SE 3.6 4motion
2,770 Posts

disable the factory amplifier!!!!!, not yelling just making it apparent http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: I need help sooooo bad... Aftermarket HU Install (DubRadio)

Quote, originally posted by DubRadio »
disable the factory amplifier!!!!!, not yelling just making it apparent http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Man, I've been yelling for 4 weeks, you might a well too....
Why do you think that needs to be done?? Nobody seems to have to do that. It seems that everyone, except for my sorry azz, is able to buy an adaptor, splice the two and its done..
How would I go about doing that. Cutting power to it?
I guess I could test that theory right? Cut the speaker wire from the factory plug and run it to a speaker outside o the car?

·
Registered
40 Posts

Before my Jetta, I had a 1999 GMC Yukon. The factory radio in it would adjust the volume as you gained speed to adjust to the increased engine noise. That could be your speed sensor there.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: I need help sooooo bad... Aftermarket HU Install (L0KK1)

Quote, originally posted by L0KK1 »
Before my Jetta, I had a 1999 GMC Yukon. The factory radio in it would adjust the volume as you gained speed to adjust to the increased engine noise. That could be your speed sensor there.

Well, sense it is full blast, no matter what, I assume I don't need that and that it is not causing me the issue... Interesting though. Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

does your radio work all the time?? if so your head unit may have a turn on lead for the amp that is only on when the radio is on. there should also be a turn on lead that is on all the time regardless of being on the radio or cd. this wire should be a blue/white wire. hook that one up to your amp turn on and it should work fine. if not post here and i will try to help more. good luck.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: I need help sooooo bad... Aftermarket HU Install (kwalton)

Yes, radio works all the time.. CD sound cuts out immediately.. You hear about a half a second of it.
On the adapter harness, I have the Blue/White not hooked up to anything but I thought that was supposed to be a power antennae wire... There is also two brown wires that are not in use. Unfortunately, the wire color schematic for the adapter harness is gone and I have no clue where an antennae lead wire would be in the factory harness.. There is one pin that is hooked to a Brown/white wire that matches up to one of the brown wires not hooked to anything...
Well, I'm desperate. With all the power and ground wires totally secure, could I fry anything my just trying some of these wires.

BTW, thanks for your help. If you have anything else, let me know. I will try some stuff tonight or tomorrow morning... If you think of anything else, let me know.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

your 98 jetta, does it have a bose system? the clarion radio, is there a blue wire and a blue white wire on the harness? if you have the solid blue wire hooked up chenge it to the blue/white wire and that should take care of your problem.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

It is a Bose system...
Hey man, thanks for your help... I will give it a shot. Not sure what is what anymore... But I will play with it... I will Post the results

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

the blue/white wire is the amp turn-on lead and will keep the factory bose amp on regardless of whether you are on radio pr cd and therefore you will have sound all the time.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote, originally posted by kwalton »
the blue/white wire is the amp turn-on lead and will keep the factory bose amp on regardless of whether you are on radio pr cd and therefore you will have sound all the time.

BINGO
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

That was it man... Sweet baby Jesus. I have music. All this time, it was my stupid mistake... Shoot me your address man. You deserve several beers on me...
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Seriously, thanks a lot...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts