VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I need some advice. I'm torn between two kits.

This one:http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...VVWTK
- with upgraded inlet pipe eliminator

and this:http://www.ctsturbo.com/produc...tml

- with GT3076R selected
- 830cc software unitronic
- 830cc injectors
- Fuel pump
As you can see the prices between each of the kits vary. I'm very much aware that CTS's kit comes with an aftermarket exhaust mani and the ATP kit uses stock. For the ATP kit, I would like to get the kinetic mani which should help, right?

Now, both are claiming with the turbo's from 350-400hp. I don't believe the ATP one bit but maybe with a different mani it might get up there. What do you guys think? Has anyone dyno'ed ATP? Also if I were to go ATP would it be easy to get a turbo-back exhaust 3". Why does it seem that piping for euro's are so small? Do they just work well that way? I'm wanting with a turbo this big some 3" piping for intercooler, intake etc. What would be the best intercooler kit that would require minimum trouble putting in?
The Turbos, how does the GT3076R differ beside exhaust housing from the GT3071R-WG? Their both Ball Bearing turbos correct? I'm guessing yes. Should they spool up nicely? I have been reading around 4500 maybe lower?

Should I go with Unitronic or Revo? I can get Revo locally done, but Unitronic seems to be better software, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm coming from a car that was very fast and had good power(stock then moddified) to a stock GLI and it feels so slow. So......... stage is open like those BEST BUY commercials and I'm at the mic....can anyone answer? Thanks

ps: I'm aware that I need some Rods and I will be getting those as well. Up to what extent is this engine forged? I read that the AWP has a forged Crank. Is that it? What about Valves/springs, pistons??
Thanks guys

Fortunato

Modified by 40rty at 10:51 PM 8-13-2009

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Re: I need some advice from all! (40rty)

lol 40rty what are you doing over this way? i thought you were going to repace the cobalt. anyway, welcome to the euro world. as you will see, its a lot different than the average import tuner norm.
now let me go read your humungous post to see if i can help a little.
ok.... you have a pm, go check.

Modified by bwell01 at 10:57 PM 8-13-2009

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I would be replacing the Cobalt SS as well, but turns out that they have only one left to sell on the island and no more coming. They also want 27k wtf? I paid a year ago 21k for mine, so I went with a GLI cause I have always really like euro and for only 13k. I think I know who you are. I need to meet with you since i heard from a little birdy that you were the man.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Re: (40rty)

naw, man im not the man lol. i just have a mildly modded 1.8t... something our import scene isnt used to
anyhow, check your im's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I wanted to ask, I'm trying to put Rods in for my car, is $2000(including rods) sound about right for having a shop put those in?

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,076 Posts

Just Say NO! to ATP http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,414 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 40rty »

I wanted to ask, I'm trying to put Rods in for my car, is $2000(including rods) sound about right for having a shop put those in?

It's a lot of work, but not much in parts. See how many hours they're charging you for and you can figure out if its a good deal. As for what turbo- Don't run an eliminator, get a real manifold and turbo. Eliminators hurt spool significantly even with the high flow manifold. And if you're buying a high flow mainfold, whats the point of even running it? Get a real manifold and you'll be good to go.

Stock pistons are just fine, as is the crank. You just need to swap in rods, hone the cylinders, and put new rings in. (along with bearings, seals, etc.) The valvetrain is okay until you start revving really high, but you can wait on upgrading that.

Modified by themachasy at 4:10 PM 8-16-2009

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Re: (themachasy)

Quote, originally posted by themachasy »

It's a lot of work, but not much in parts. See how many hours they're charging you for and you can figure out if its a good deal. As for what turbo- Don't run an eliminator, get a real manifold and turbo. Eliminators hurt spool significantly even with the high flow manifold. And if you're buying a high flow mainfold, whats the point of even running it? Get a real manifold and you'll be good to go.

Stock pistons are just fine, as is the crank. You just need to swap in rods, hone the cylinders, and put new rings in. (along with bearings, seals, etc.) The valvetrain is okay until you start revving really high, but you can wait on upgrading that.

Modified by themachasy at 4:10 PM 8-16-2009

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

I run the ATP Eliminator 2 kit with no issues on a daily driver.
How many of you that dislike the ATP Eliminator 2 kit have ever ridden in a car with one of those kits???
The kit doesn't fit perfectly but supplies more than enough HP with the hi-flow manifold.
I will say this though... In my esitmation The CTS kit will definatley put down more HP than the ATP kit. The exhaust flange and manifold are completely different. But again if you are not looking for a dyno queen then maybe the ATP kit is right up your alley!
If I were you I would talk to Arnold at Pagparts. He can set you up with whatever you need and really is a helpful cool guy. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
Re: I need some advice from all! (sledge0001)

sledge the point is if you end up buying a mani then it's not worth the "savings".
the "high flow" mani from kinetic or atp doesn't do a whole lot. it all comes down to how restictive the k series 3 bolt flange is. it's smaller than a 1/2 dollar while a t3 flange is the size of a deck of cards.
while i think it's great that you like the power it makes, you can make more power, cheaper by peiceing together your own kit. thats fact.
i will agree on this: call arnold at pag! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Re: I need some advice from all! (CTS Turbo)

Good to see peeps on here from my old homeland
Ive never done much driving on Oahu but on Kauai, were I was born and raised, a 3076r might me much but here on the Mainland I love that turbo. I would not recommend the ATP kits. Ive installed 2 myself and had to modify some lines to fit and the overall sizeing hurts its performance compaird to a true T3. I bought a Kinetic topmount off Clay a while back but havnt installed it yet so I cant speak on the fitment of that kit but ive heard alot of good about it. Pags kit is a nice setup if you wanted a bottom mount setup. I would so go with Vband if I could afford it for the simplicity of installation and removal. Enjoy the tradewinds cause I sure as hell miss it over here in PA. Freakin hot as balls but no wind

Aloha

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Re: I need some advice from all! (bakana)

i will post pics of the latest TAIVW creation. its a 3076r top mounted mixture of components from CTS, PRECSION, CUSTOM TAI STUFF (INTAKE/DP), ATP , USRT, ABD and im sure some more frankenstein parts that i cant remember.
here is one before completion

Modified by bwell01 at 10:30 AM 8-17-2009

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: I need some advice from all! (bwell01)

Holy crap,

Lots of responses now. Thanks guys. I have been just planning on the Rods right now. i will be buying the CTS Kit after. As long as it puts down more than 345whp 374trq then I'll be happy cause that is what I had before and this 166whp is not doing it for me LOL. I'll be contacting TAI here on the island, CTS for the kit and PAG as well.
Anyone on here put Rods in themselves? How was the job? What was the TRQ Wrench set at? Were you able to slide the pistons out easly? So no worry with the valves? Cool. What is this homing of the pistons you guys talking about? Will that help with compression? Cooling? Thanks again guys.

PS: for the guys on the island please hit me up sometime, 227 6550. I need some Dub bro's out here. I have one already who is a good friend, Chawn.

Modified by 40rty at 12:42 PM 8-17-2009

·
Registered
5,187 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 40rty »
Holy crap,

Lots of responses now. Thanks guys. I have been just planning on the Rods right now. i will be buying the CTS Kit after. As long as it puts down more than 345whp 374trq then I'll be happy cause that is what I had before and this 166whp is not doing it for me LOL. I'll be contacting TAI here on the island, CTS for the kit and PAG as well.
Anyone on here put Rods in themselves? How was the job? What was the TRQ Wrench set at? Were you able to slide the pistons out easly? So no worry with the valves? Cool. What is this homing of the pistons you guys talking about? Will that help with compression? Cooling? Thanks again guys.

PS: for the guys on the island please hit me up sometime, 227 6550. I need some Dub bro's out here. I have one already who is a good friend, Chawn.

Modified by 40rty at 12:42 PM 8-17-2009

1. this is the 1.8t tech forum.... a lot of these guys know their chit and have done more... way way more than mere rod installs http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
2. most of the specs of can be found in the FAQ section located above or a bently manual if you have one.
3. removing the pistons isnt hard if you know what you are doing but they might just need a little bump in the rod here and there to excavate them.
4. no, no worries about the valves just yet as i said in the IM i sent ya. although not the most efficient, the stock AWP head is fine for what you are wanting.
you cant hone pistons to my knowledge but honing the cylinders allows for good oil retention and ring support while removing the glaze that the old rings left behind. it also produces a surface finish that meets the requirements of the rings and if done right ensures the walls of the cylinder are straight. i would think it does affect compression.
p.s.
go to the hawaii regional forum to meet us local folk. some of us visit here but most dont. so far i think you've seen vegeta and myfelf here but TAI (tom @ TAIVW/AUDI) frequents this forum also. and btw... for the goal you've set 2871r or similar should handle things just fine. we have one local that is about to be removed and possibly sold. lmk if you are interested http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
there ya go... hawaii local forum
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=120

Modified by bwell01 at 1:08 PM 8-17-2009

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: I need some advice from all! (bwell01)

Yea, the GT2871R is a very tempting turbo, believe me I go back in forth on this subject all the time. Here's the thing, with the research that I have done turns out the the GT2871R & GT3071R and practically using the same compressor and exhaust housings, only real difference is the Compressor wheels. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts

im sure they are using the same 71mm exducer wheel. the compressor side should differ though. if they didnt wouldnt it be the same turbo? lookup the compressor maps of both turbos and see whats what. there are some pros at maps here and im sure they will chime in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts