VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I want to shave up the 20th this winter, but I have no welder nor the skills to weld. Anyone out there have the know how, and willing to make a little side cash?
Please let me know, so I can try to plan the rip apart of the car.

·
Banned
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I need someone with Welding skills (chitowndubsta)

Quote, originally posted by chitowndubsta »
gotcha covered

i know a couple up north who are both welders

mig/tig/arch/gas
they can do it all

NICE! I am filling everything in. I just need them to weld it up. I will make it look pretty for paint.

·
Banned
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

so your pulling the motor n all?

No god I wish.. I just want the body holes filled. The motor will happen sometime or another... speaking of which you never told me a price on the trubo.. PM me.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Re: I need someone with Welding skills (Commocozy)

Quote, originally posted by Commocozy »
No god I wish.. I just want the body holes filled. The motor will happen sometime or another... speaking of which you never told me a price on the trubo.. PM me.

ohhhh i see! lol.....sorry i was jumping the gun on what i thought
u were doing....my bad

indeed....i will pm you

·
Banned
7,676 Posts

ohhhh i see! lol.....sorry i was jumping the gun on what i thought
u were doing....my bad

indeed....i will pm you

holler at me too, I might get my bi*ch shaved as well, shes getting a tid bit hairy

·
Registered
27,422 Posts
Re: I need someone with Welding skills (Srbskikontraktor)

shaving without pulling the motor ftl

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Re: I need someone with Welding skills (spdfrek)

Damn, I shoulda asked on here before I had my trunk done. I paid $120 to have the trunk emblem recess cut out, and a new flat piece of steel welded in. Turned out good so I can't complain, but that number seems a bit pricy. It was from a welding fab. company my company works with.

·
Banned
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: I need someone with Welding skills (AutoX-FIB)

Quote, originally posted by AutoX-FIB »
Damn, I shoulda asked on here before I had my trunk done. I paid $120 to have the trunk emblem recess cut out, and a new flat piece of steel welded in. Turned out good so I can't complain, but that number seems a bit pricy. It was from a welding fab. company my company works with.

If I had a welder I bet I could do it.. I mean it doesn't have to be super clean, since the welds will be ground down.
What I have to do is figure out what gauge sheet metal to use to fill the holes I am going to fill the side markers ( bumper and fender ) then all the holes from the rub strips.
I figure I can mold the bumpers and stuff myself. I have all winter to get it right.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Commocozy »
If I had a welder I bet I could do it.. I mean it doesn't have to be super clean, since the welds will be ground down.
What I have to do is figure out what gauge sheet metal to use to fill the holes I am going to fill the side markers ( bumper and fender ) then all the holes from the rub strips.
I figure I can mold the bumpers and stuff myself. I have all winter to get it right.

newbie welding!!!

BURN through like a mo FO

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

My brother is a body man at a VW dealer and can hook you up he shaved his whole car and is a sticker for details. Let me know and Illsend you pics of his car and his work.

·
Banned
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: I need someone with Welding skills (Ted Brogan)

Quote, originally posted by Ted Brogan »
welding body panels= burn holes and warpage
shaving/molding bumpers= shrunken bondo and crack city

I've been turned to this stuff called Fusor, and hear it works very well. I am doing research on it now. Seems it will make the job much easier.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Re: I need someone with Welding skills (Vr6en)

como, check this out
shaved, molded, custom pzwo front bumper i did myself, ill i have to do is paint it.
used FUSOR, with a tiny bit of body filler(4 the tiny imperfections)

Also
Molded rieger rear, i did myself

AND
Two diferent style MK3 front bumpers i did.

·
Banned
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: I need someone with Welding skills (-SLugO-)

Quote, originally posted by -SLugO- »
como, check this out
shaved, molded, custom pzwo front bumper i did myself, ill i have to do is paint it.
used FUSOR, with a tiny bit of body filler(4 the tiny imperfections)

Also
Molded rieger rear, i did myself

AND
Two diferent style MK3 front bumpers i did.

Dats what I am talking about!

·
Registered
10,666 Posts

fusor is ok for doing plastic work, but imho you are better off welding in your steel filler panels especially when concerning things like deck lids, shaving side trim, etc. I've personally used fusor & it's equivilant there of many times, however I have had some good and some bad experiances, so for now I just use it for gluing door reskin jobs in addition to mimicking the factory plug welds if it'll be a conourse style restoration. Custom jobs get the edges welded & glued in the flats.
then again..it's not like i know what the hell i'm doing.

as far as what gauge steel for welding in patch panels on newer crap I tend to use 18-20 gauge, match whatever gauge your patch is to the gauge of the panel. I personally like cold rolled ak steel, as it's easier to form on the wheel / power hammer / by hand if you're going for a metal finished repair anyway. Otherwise even just basic cold rolled will be fine and get the patch as close as possible so you just have to skim the repair with filler. no biggie.
all side trim, rocker trim, etc. shaved. new wheel house, etc.

·
Banned
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: I need someone with Welding skills (Gary C)

Quote, originally posted by Gary C »
fusor is ok for doing plastic work, but imho you are better off welding in your steel filler panels especially when concerning things like deck lids, shaving side trim, etc. I've personally used fusor & it's equivilant there of many times, however I have had some good and some bad experiances, so for now I just use it for gluing door reskin jobs in addition to mimicking the factory plug welds if it'll be a conourse style restoration. Custom jobs get the edges welded & glued in the flats.
then again..it's not like i know what the hell i'm doing.

as far as what gauge steel for welding in patch panels on newer crap I tend to use 18-20 gauge, match whatever gauge your patch is to the gauge of the panel. I personally like cold rolled ak steel, as it's easier to form on the wheel / power hammer / by hand if you're going for a metal finished repair anyway. Otherwise even just basic cold rolled will be fine and get the patch as close as possible so you just have to skim the repair with filler. no biggie.
all side trim, rocker trim, etc. shaved. new wheel house, etc.

·
Banned
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Gary.
I've followed a few of your Hot rods threads.. Yeah, you have no idea what you're doing
I dunno what the hell I am going to do.. I guess the bumpers I can do myself. Then farm out the shaving of the metal, which I really don't want to do. One all the shops lately suck, two I don't want to spend the money. but I guess if I want it done right I need to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.