VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Re: I need someone with Welding skills (Commocozy)

Quote, originally posted by Commocozy »
Gary.
I've followed a few of your Hot rods threads.. Yeah, you have no idea what you're doing
I dunno what the hell I am going to do.. I guess the bumpers I can do myself. Then farm out the shaving of the metal, which I really don't want to do. One all the shops lately suck, two I don't want to spend the money. but I guess if I want it done right I need to.

you about summed that up well.....dont cut yourself short

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

Austin make a trip to Iowa we can get it done lol. the motor is coming out of the GTI for some cleaning up and smoothing of the engine bay then its time for the VR

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Re: I need someone with Welding skills (jettaprep)

Quote, originally posted by jettaprep »
Road trop to iowa to get our cars shaved?

lol maybe when i finish school im going to need this whole winter to finish my car let alone any one elses car

·
Registered
2 Posts

Gary.
I've followed a few of your Hot rods threads.. Yeah, you have no idea what you're doing
I dunno what the hell I am going to do.. I guess the bumpers I can do myself. Then farm out the shaving of the metal, which I really don't want to do. One all the shops lately suck, two I don't want to spend the money. but I guess if I want it done right I need to.
then again..it's not like i know what the hell i'm doing.
as far as what gauge steel for welding in patch panels on newer crap I tend to use 18-20 gauge, match whatever gauge your patch is to the gauge of the panel. I personally like cold rolled ak steel, as it's easier to form on the wheel / power hammer / by hand if you're going for a metal finished repair anyway. Otherwise even just basic cold rolled will be fine and get the patch as close as possible so you just have to skim the weld with filler. no biggie.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.