VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is how it's supposed to be.
My front bumper is only attached onto my car by these 2 knobby things on the sides of my car. I don't know if there is somewhere else they are supposed to connected.
I was in traffic and came to a sudden stop. I heard this strange noise. Then I heard a crunching noise as I drove slowly forward after the stop. Ends up the plastic bumper cover flew off and I ran it over. My license plate was folded in half. The plastic cover seems fine though. I straited out my license plate by standing on it, so it seems fine now. But now I'm thinking maybe my bumper cover needs to be secured to my car. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Re: I ran over my bumper today (AndyPoth)

usually it has clips that clips into the rebar. And the hanger brackets on the side just lines it up to the body.
Danny_16v has his mounted with hood pins so it's a quick release, good for getting up on flatbeds and stuff and is a different way to mount it if your clips are all busted up.
on an unrelated note, I was wondering if the people around you busted out laughing when the bumper flew off?

Modified by vwtoys at 11:26 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This old homeless man was pointing at my car while I ran it over but he was muttering and I couldn't understand.
The people behind me were honking because They didn't know what I was doing till I threw my bumper-cover in my trunk

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
.... not to be an ass or anything, but this is the funniest post ive read in a while.
the things on the side arent ment to keep the bumper on at all, just position it, the bumper is held on by the black bar under it, with little clips, mine were busted, so i used alot of hot glue and a few zipties to hold mine onto the bumper support.
new big bumpers are cheap though less than 100$ on ebay shipped.
-Daniel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: (Bejbis)

i had the same problem but it was solved by kicking the bumper really hard, same thing happend to me in a big puddle but my **** got scratched up. Glad i have a spare!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
273 Posts
Re: (promac)

i did the same thing a couple of winters ago, nailed a chunk of frozen snow and it pulled it under the front of my car. wasnt happy

·
Registered
204 Posts
we launched one time really hard in a A2 16V Jetta, and the front bumper just flew off. It happened so fast, we saw it fly off then we ran over it. Had to double back to pick it up. Surprisingly, it only had scratches on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Same thing happened to my grandmother's '85 jetta. Except she didn't notice.
The police station called one day and said they had her bumper. She doesn't speak english, so she told them to call me. I just kind of said ok, I'll come pick it up. Before I went to the station, I stopped by my grandmothers and they were right.... the front bumper was missing.
Apparently someone saw the bumper and dropped it off at the station. Since the licence plate was on it, they were able to track it down.
It's good as new now

·
Registered
419 Posts
Re: I ran over my bumper today (john_ertw)

I ran over my bumper racing...a couple times

I have a new one on now and it isn't going anywhere!

·
Registered
876 Posts

I was working on my car and just brushed up aginst the bumper a little and noticed that it came off the clip. As I was trying to get it back on the whole bumper came off. The only thing holding it on was the turnsignal wiring
So with some zipties and a few solid kicks it now stays on, but I am paranoid when I get on the freeway that its gonna fly off. That hood-pin on the bumper idea sounds like a good solution I'm gonna have to check into.

·
Banned
2,639 Posts
Re: I ran over my bumper today (knifehitter)

i think we should all utilize that hood pin idea that one guy on here used . im sry i forgot his name ill post pics.

·
Registered
23,269 Posts
Re: I ran over my bumper today (golf198)

Quote, originally posted by golf198 »
i think we should all utilize that hood pin idea that one guy on here used . im sry i forgot his name ill post pics.

whoooo me

Yeah I almost ran mine over but it just came off when I braked. So then I just used my brain and some hood pins. It was really really easy. Took like 15 minutes to install and it works flawlessly. I think Im going to upgrade to the VW Racing hood pins later on and Im develping a another version to have which will be much less noticable.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Re: I ran over my bumper today (Wheel Man v7.0)

I really like the hood pin idea, too. However I dont want it to be obvious that my bumper is held on by hood pins. It looks kinda wierd and people may think that you are a messed up ***** (lol). Not to mention it would be a helluva lot easier to steal.

·
Registered
23,269 Posts
Re: I ran over my bumper today (THAT DAMN GOOD!)

Quote, originally posted by THAT DAMN GOOD! »
I really like the hood pin idea, too. However I dont want it to be obvious that my bumper is held on by hood pins. It looks kinda wierd and people may think that you are a messed up ***** (lol). Not to mention it would be a helluva lot easier to steal.

Well everybody that has seen mine has thought of it as a clever idea and "neat". its not awesome but its a logical and practical solution.
And whoever is gonna steal your front bumper will steal more than that. I mean its so obvious your taking off a damn bumper. And you still have to unscrew your turnsignals before taking off your bumper. It comes off in about 30 seconds with the turnsignals. If you have the turnsignals off like 5 seconds

·
Registered
39,340 Posts
Re: (vwtoys)

thank you for that idea... i will be doing that next weekend when i swap the big bumpers onto my car from the new car i just got. look for pics of the second jetta with hoodpins holding the big bumper on soon, from dubwars...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts