VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

I really need to stop buying cars....... But they keep finding me......

27K views 336 replies 70 participants last post by  Hostile 
#1 ·
Well the eTron lease deal that I worked out for myself is quickly approaching the end of its term, so I have been on the hunt for a replacement car. Was all over the place, wanted a Sedan, wanted something a little sporty, wanted something that was cheap (under 450 a month) and wanted to buy it versus lease it. Sunday I found nearly a perfect C7.5 A6 that is running at the chutes tomorrow, and had placed a Proxy bid on. I was pretty excited, honestly, to get back into a C7.5 as, most of you know, I loved my old one

When I get into work today, I am told that we are about to be taking in a 2010 C6.5 A6 Avant....

So I guess I am buying it. 😂

Untitled by smooremin, on Flickr

It has some miles on it 126xxx but these 3 liter supercharged units have proven to be quite robust and it was dealer maintained for seemingly its entire life. It does have an accident on the car fax, but it was a rear impact, and did not cause any of the side airbags to deploy (which probably saved it from being totaled).

Its a pretty well optioned Prestige package car, with the only thing missing being the sport package, which would give better wheels, but that is something I can easily rectify.

C6.5A6avantbuildsheet by smooremin, on Flickr

This will be my second venture into to the C6.5 avant world as I had a white premium plus for about a year, 5 years ago. The biggest downside to that car was the transmission, but something that she will be able to deal with on a daily basis, as I probably wont be driving it that often.

So here is to another wagon in the household, and to another new car.... that makes this 5 this year 🥴🥴🥴😂😂😂

See less See more
Reactions: jringo8769
#264 ·
With the A8 now at home, its sadly time for this to go. Got it cleaned up and photo'd for an upcoming listing on CarsandBids. Sure does look good...

I will be sad to see it go.

#330 ·
Very happy with how it ended up. I was a little disappointed with 3 minutes to go, but happy with the outcome. Buyer lives local and came in and saw the car last week, it will be going to a good home, so also happy about that.

#331 ·
Very happy with how it ended up.
Congrats on the sale - of the 14,778 views you had - I must have been at least 100. Really love how you changed up the car with the peelers and wish I could have been a bidder.
As always sir, your automotive adventure's continue to bring a lot of joy to this Internet thingy. (y)

#256 ·
Man its crazy what a drop, some wheels, and a good detail can do to a car aesthetically. I know they are already in here, but man these befores and afters are wild.
Before:

After:

Love how this thing came out. Gonna get some pics taken in the next few days/weeks to have them to add to the collection.

I have to say I am a bit jealous she gets to drive this every day 😎

#284 ·
I'm going to start 5 usernames over there and we'll all sign on and talk about how you don't believe in vehicle maintenance, the types of things you store in the "trunk" not to mention what you let Dirty Mike use the car for. Then I will swoop in at the last minute and buy it for pennies on the dollar. It's how you make billions in the stock market, should work for an auto auction.

#200 ·
Alex sent me pics from the carbon clean.

Guess its not as bad as it could've been, which is nice. Things are moving along. Maybe Erik can drive it when hes here this weekend...

#216 ·

hnnnnnnnggggggg

Guess it drives great. "Pulls light a freight train". 28 mpg on the commute to Valpo today too! :cool:

Elonplausable.mpeg

#241 ·
Guess there is no better time to update this than right now. Car has been great. She has been driving it all over, we have put 4k miles on it since the work was completed. However, a noticeable rattle started coming form the engine after shut down, seemingly dieseling for about 2-5 seconds... Assumed it was the chain tensioners giving up the ghost. Put it into service to get the chains done, as Alex begins to tear into the motor, he notices that it isn't actually the tensioners.... but the blower 🥺🥺🥺.

I had noticed a few times before all of the work was completed that it would rattle a bit on shut down, but not nearly as bad as after the tune. So as I write this, the car is sitting in pieces waiting for the new blower set up to come in and get installed.

Other than this hiccup the car has been great. Sam loves driving it, its perfect for the new pup and it is really nice only having one car payment. We have been talking about getting out of it and into something else, but man the no payment thing is really, really nice. Plus with the extra money I am dumping into this blower, it seemingly makes more sense to just keep it.

Still need to mount the summer tires too, so I think I will do that next week once the blower is fixed.

Hurray for 11 year old daily drivers 😂😨😰

#283 ·
#178 ·
Just picked up a set of 20 inch peelers for summers. Should sit just about perfect with the drop and the little bit more offset.

#203 ·

We got a touch down!!

Just waiting on the tune to be completed and then Alex will drive it for a couple days and and make sure were tip top, then I finally get it back. Winters look great, cant wait to see what the summers are gonna look like.

Getting antsy....

#9 ·
Was all over the place, wanted a Sedan, wanted something a little sporty, wanted something that was cheap (under 450 a month)
Ok Mr Three Refrigerators. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

#85 ·
Let the part buying begin....

Was speaking with Sam today about the car, and she confirmed she was totally on board, with one caveat. "I like it, but would like it a lot more if it was dropped about an inch or so" 😂 🥰 :love:💖

Put together most of the maintenance items @NeedingAnAudi suggested; VCG, silicone for timing cover, Upper control arm bushings. He also suggested that it would be wise to do a thermostat while we were in there, it was cheapish, so why not, would rather be safe than "Here Alex tear this thing back down again for this stupid thing". Also ordered ST sport springs to appease the Lady. Don't have any experience with them as I have always been an H&R guy, but they are NLA so St it is. Should drop the car a bit over an inch, which to me, should be just about perfect with a set of 19s that I will get in the spring.

Set up the tint man to come by the store some time in the next week or so to get that done. Then, once we get the car done with the service and maintenance stuff, I will have Alex try his hand in wrapping the chrome trim around the car to give it a "black optic" look as it wasn't available, at least as a USDM product, in the C6.

Oh yeah, I haven't paid of the thing yet, so that is on the list of what I need to do in the next few days. Once I do, I will compile another ownership cost thing (that Erik will build for me) like on the BEATR so we can all laugh at how much more money I waste.... 😂😂(y)

#89 ·
Let the part buying begin....

Was speaking with Sam today about the car, and she confirmed she was totally on board, with one caveat. "I like it, but would like it a lot more if it was dropped about an inch or so" 😂 🥰 :love:💖

Put together most of the maintenance items @NeedingAnAudi suggested; VCG, silicone for timing cover, Upper control arm bushings. He also suggested that it would be wise to do a thermostat while we were in there, it was cheapish, so why not, would rather be safe than "Here Alex tear this thing back down again for this stupid thing". Also ordered ST sport springs to appease the Lady. Don't have any experience with them as I have always been an H&R guy, but they are NLA so St it is. Should drop the car a bit over an inch, which to me, should be just about perfect with a set of 19s that I will get in the spring.

Set up the tint man to come by the store some time in the next week or so to get that done. Then, once we get the car done with the service and maintenance stuff, I will have Alex try his hand in wrapping the chrome trim around the car to give it a "black optic" look as it wasn't available, at least as a USDM product, in the C6.

Oh yeah, I haven't paid of the thing yet, so that is on the list of what I need to do in the next few days. Once I do, I will compile another ownership cost thing (that Erik will build for me) like on the BEATR so we can all laugh at how much more money I waste.... 😂😂(y)
Ohhhhh, so excited.

#212 ·
Had an issue trying to get to step one for the tune. JH took a while to get back to me this evening, but they eventually did. Hopefully Alex can get it tuned tomorrow after work.

Also, set up headlight restoration today. Should be able to get it pretty good, but some of the pitting is deep so it may not be perfect, but I am confident it will be much better 👍

#234 ·
On top of making the Bajavant, @NeedingAnAudi also played around with a set of wheels he had laying around.

Granted this set is too wide/has too much offset, but it makes me happy I went with 20 inch Peelers. Should look just about exactly how I envisioned.

Leaving the RS at work tomorrow to drive the A6 for a while. Should be great. 😃

Reactions: Slvrblt and davewg
#248 ·

Finally got the summers on.

I have to say, I think it’s just about as good as I had hoped. The front needs to come down a bit, but the fitment on the wheels is just about perfect.

As I was pulling into work the other day it started overheating, again. One of the cooling fans was broken. Sucks. But it is what it is. Tuesday the car will get an alignment and a rear third brake light replaced (also had the light come on the day it overheated last week 🤦🏻‍♂️) and it will be ready to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.