VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last night I bit the bullet an purchased a 06 BMP MkV GTI. I have read several posts where people had posted pics of there BMP's an people making comments on swirly marks that were on the car after someone washed it and/or waxing the car.
I know there are some post on detailing which i did take a look but there was nothing specialized to a BMP. I was just wondering how to avoid it an what other black magic owners are using for a wax.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is my first new car, second VW..
Thanks,
Adam http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: I searched an could not find, How to avoid the swirly marks in a back car (asuckiel)

Quote, originally posted by asuckiel »
Well last night I bit the bullet an purchased a 06 BMP MkV GTI. I have read several posts where people had posted pics of there BMP's an people making comments on swirly marks that were on the car after someone washed it and/or waxing the car.
I know there are some post on detailing which i did take a look but there was nothing specialized to a BMP. I was just wondering how to avoid it an what other black magic owners are using for a wax.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is my first new car, second VW..
Thanks,
Adam http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

There's really no special technique for black. If you follow those procedures in terms of washing habits, you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Honestly from an ex-detailer's standpoint, there's only two ways to really avoid the swirls:
1) Don't buy a black car. In my detailing days 99% of all the cars that would come into the shop were swirled to hell.
2) Be super anal about who washes your car, where it's washed, and what it's washed with. Best bet is to do it yourself either at home or at a DIY car wash, with clean auto-specific cloths and brushes with an auto specific soap and wax.
Do a quick search for Thread's "How to Detail Your Car" post. It's very thorough with the cleaners, waxes, and tools you'll need.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (DaLarr)

Thanks for the info, one more general question Is there any wax that is better to use than another. I know alot of people here are Zaino fans just curious.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Re: (DaLarr)

I always wash it myself, but I did get swirled by the dealer's complimentary car washes. If you look, almost every car on the road (black or not) is pretty severely swirled.
A couple weeks ago, I bought a Porter Cable 7424 polisher and some Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II. After a few hours of working on the car, almost all the swirls are gone, even in intense light.
My biggest problem now is rock chips. Even using the standard car bra, I still have them all over the front of the car. Oddly though, they only exist on the painted metal...I can't find one on the plastic painted bumper.
Either way, I think I'll go silver next time, haha. Nothing looks better than a black car for the 15 minutes it stays clean and dust free, but it's a process to keep them clean.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (MakH)

Quote, originally posted by MakH »

A couple weeks ago, I bought a Porter Cable 7424 polisher and some Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II. After a few hours of working on the car, almost all the swirls are gone, even in intense light.

Are there any portable Polishers that do not " burn the paint" or it all the technique you use as I have never used a power polisher.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Re: (asuckiel)

Are there any portable Polishers that do not " burn the paint" or it all the technique you use as I have never used a power polisher.

Yes you can go with a hand orbital polisher it is safer. It's always best to do it by hand but as long as you make sure the paint surface is cool you'll be fine.
After driving around in a BMP 20th for the last three years and being totally anal about fighting the rock chips, spider lines, swirl marks. When it cam time to wax I followed these steps.
1. Wash the car with dish soap and rinse very well (I know they say never do this but it really does get off all the crap and any excess wax etc.)
MOVE CAR INTO SHADE LET THE PAINT SURFACE COOL
2. Clay Bar the entire car
3. Cleaner Wax it's our there use it
4. Wax I know there is 40 gagillon types of wax on the market so use what you want too. I've used Klasse, Eagle One Micro Wax and they all work good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: (20grit_timber)

Whether you choose to use the Zaino products or not (I do use them) reading their tips and tricks section is pretty informative. They warn you a number of times to apply the compounds and remove them by using straight motions, not swirling motions with the cloth and to go vertically on vertical surfaces.
If you use the Zaino products, using the ZFX accelerator will allow you to put three cots of wax on in a day, rather than having to wait 24 hours between coats. Getting a thicker coat on the car quickly will help protect your paint a bit.
Also make sure to follow their instructions about being anal with the cloths that you choose to remove the wax when it is dry. They recommend US made 100% cotton towels with no labels and no factory hems, washed with liquid detergent, not powdered. Their dealer in Southern California, http://www.lazaino.com sells some very nice towels that they make for this purpose, they are already in smaller pieces and they are not too expensive.
Have fun, whatever quality product you use will really start to look great after 2 or 3 coats.

·
Registered
449 Posts
with my last car, a black golf, I found out never use a brush at the car wash...i had swirls from hell after I did that...and without a power polisher, it was tough consistant elbow grease to try to rid the car of swirls..I never did get them all..I gave up.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (asuckiel)

Read the DIY in the "exterior" section of the FAQ-DIY in my signature. It covers this a bit.
In short, you'll have to get really creative to burn your paint with a 7424.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

I've had my BM GTI for about 24 washes in 6 weeks. NO swirly marks here. I just use a lot of water and car-wash soap and terrycloth towels.

·
Banned
21,195 Posts
Re: I searched an could not find, How to avoid the swirly marks in a back car (asuckiel)

its not just black,all dark cars show swirl marks,i wanted to be different this time around,i have owned three silver vdubs in the past,so i went with blue,well my MKVI will be silver again,i will never own a dark color car again,and i am very anal when washing,and have yet let anyone wash the car but me,there really is nothing u can do to avoid it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts