VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short story. I submerged my intake while driving and now my car won't start. Initially it wouldn't turn over. Now it does turn over without any banging noises, but it won't start. Took off my diverter valve and it was filled with water but I haven't checked anything else.
So, is it a possibility that my car may run again or should I start shopping?
Any comments on how to get it to run again would be appreciated.
Any comments on how I shouldn't have let water get into my intake won't help me that much.
Casey

·
Registered
967 Posts
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (Al Bob)

Pop the coilpacks off and pull the plugs, turn the car over a few times...probably shoot water out of the holes if its made it into the engine. Take the intercooler off, piping, all that crap and drain it of water...anywhere water could have gone take it apart and let the water drain out or whatever. Change the oil, put some new plugs in, and hope for the best. BUT DO NOT keep on trying to start the car with water in the motor and intake track...its called hydrolock, real easy to bend stuff if it hasnt happened already..

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (technofly7)

Same thing happen to a friend of mine. I only have one thing to say:
New engine or new car. SORRY

·
Registered
10,827 Posts

New engine.
How in the world did you get that much water in through the intake?

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (JettaRed)

Quote, originally posted by JettaRed »
New engine.
How in the world did you get that much water in through the intake?

Blah I doubt it unless he was running under boost when he sucked in the water. Pull the plugs and crank her over, pull the IC and clean it out, install new plugs and go for it. That "new engine" crap is just stuff you hear because thats what a dealership told someone. If you were not on boost or high into the RPM band when you sucked water you are probably ok.

Modified by MRP2001GTi at 11:53 AM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (MRP2001GTi)

Yeah, drain/dry everything and try again.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (MRP2001GTi)

Quote, originally posted by MRP2001GTi »

Blah I doubt it unless he was running under boost when he sucked in the water. Pull the plugs and crank her over, pull the IC and clean it out, install new plugs and go for it. That "new engine" crap is just stuff you hear because thats what a dealership told someone. If you were not on boost or high into the RPM band when you sucked water you are probably ok.

Modified by MRP2001GTi at 11:53 AM 5-23-2004

Do what he said, and hopefully you didn't hydro lock and bend anything. It worry's me that you said i wouldn't turn over and then did. You could of had too much water in there and messed up something. Hasn't anyone heard of misting? I think what happened was he just took it to a higher level.
Hope it all works out in the end.
Thanks
Justind

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (vwguy3)

We had some flooding here and it was high enough for my CAI to catch enough of it to hydrolock the engine. The tube connecting the intercooler to the inlet is wet inside so it is definitely all the way through the engine.
And the engine does turn over now and I don't see any cracks or fluids other than water leaking out. So now I just need to find some time to strip the thing down.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts

man, it seems like we get a new Uboat Captain every year

joking aside sorry to hear about your car. hope it isn't hydro locked.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

damn that's not good
i'm becoming increasing worried
i just installed my CAI two days ago and it's raining a lot lately here in toronto
my friend told me there was 1.5 feet of water on a major hwy that I take often
does hydrolock happen easily? does pouring have any effect on the CAI? I parked my car on the driveway yesterday and it was pouring rain. after the rain stopped i checked the filter and it felt a bit wet.
any info is appreciated

·
Banned
10,808 Posts
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (mojof1)

I think if it's a bit wet it won't matter. Don't drive your car when it rains hard.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (Hetzen)

or maybe just watch out for huge puddles or even just use a hot air intake instead

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (heysuperman)

I've driven my car in VERY hard rain with no front grille to protect the filter and didn't have any problems. Just don't drive through puddles.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (01 Wolfsburg)

if its cranking over now, but not starting you probably lucked out and just need to get all the water out like people mentrioned..
as for those crying about CAIs being the problem. I have seen more engines destroyed from hydolock with stock airboxes then I have with CAIs

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (chris86vw)

Quote, originally posted by chris86vw »
if its cranking over now, but not starting you probably lucked out and just need to get all the water out like people mentrioned..
as for those crying about CAIs being the problem. I have seen more engines destroyed from hydolock with stock airboxes then I have with CAIs

Please explain because unless you are driving with water all the way up to grill, I dont see that happening.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (Nessal)

Quote, originally posted by Nessal »

Please explain because unless you are driving with water all the way up to grill, I dont see that happening.

You don't need to be driving in deep water, water high enough to hit the lower part of your front bumper will get pushed up and over the bumper and into the grill.. the inlet for the intakes on most cars is the grill. You dont' need to fill the engine bay, you just need a nice splash to fill that inlet and its all over.

I personally have seen 5+ cars in the last few years with bone stock airboxes killed from hydrolock.. and I have seen at least that amount come in because of water, but not died. I personally other then a few acounts on here have not seen one killed by an intake.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: I sucked water into my engine. Comments? (chris86vw)

I unhooked most of the rubber connectors on my intake tract and sucked or blew out all of the water. The most important drainage point was on the lower left point of the bumper at the inlet of the intercooler. I sucked out the water from the cylinders, replaced the spark plugs for peace of mind, drained my oil which had over a half quart of water in it, replaced it with some crap oil and a new oil filter, let her run for about an hour, and replaced all the oil and the oil filter again. My car is running fine now.
So, contrary to some rumours, drowning a car does not mean it cannot be revived.

·
Banned
5,344 Posts

it's beyond me why you reused oil in a car with a water problem... i guess it's because you just threw it away (hope so)... but either way, glad to hear it's running.

·
Registered
539 Posts

sorry to say water does not compress very good, my guess is you
bent the connecting rods, I have replaced alot of 1.8T motors for the same problem. The LAN works like a wet vac at speed, even more efficient! This is exactly why there is a disclaimer on all the LAN intake kits I have seen. you may contact your insurance carrier (good luck)
I would start building a new motor........ VW/Audi certified ASE master
w/24+ years exp...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts