VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, I loved this vehicle ever since Honda released it. It's been sitting at a local dealer for a few weeks, weird considering hwo everyone is b!tching about gas prices.
Obligatory pic:

Edit: w00t!!! My next post will be fitting considering that my postcount will be 1000 and the Honda insight has a 1.0 liter engine

Modified by rbloedow at 8:56 PM 5-19-2004

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
37,918 Posts
Re: I think I'm going to test drive a used Honda Insight tomorrow.... (rbloedow)

do NOT get the CVT trans. I hate working on those POS's

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I think I'm going to test drive a used Honda Insight tomorrow.... (Metallitubby)

Quote, originally posted by Metallitubby »
do NOT get the CVT trans. I hate working on those POS's

I won't be buying it (although I might be able to convince my parents to buy one - they both drive 5-speeds right now, so I guess that would be their tranmission of choice)...............

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Re: I think I'm going to test drive a used Honda Insight tomorrow.... (rbloedow)

Which dealer is it at? Marshall Honda?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I think I'm going to test drive a used Honda Insight tomorrow.... (NegatiZE)

No, they never have them in - the dealer is independent, on the corner of Jenks and 15th st - don't know the name though.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
37,918 Posts

beware of a few things. They are built very cheaply to save weight, I have had countless customers complain of this, and be knowledgeable of the autostop feature.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

nice, nice, but I've heard that Insights don't handle well and that after 80,000 miles or so the batteries need to be replaced which runs about $3,000 I think.
go check out the toyota website. They have a prototype for a sports car V6 hybrid that gets 0-60 in 4 seconds http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
for me I think I'll stay with my Corrado until the fuel cell vehicles come out in about 10 years hopefully and if I'm living in Germany I'll go with a small engine VW Lupo, which gets great fuel economy.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: I think I'm going to test drive a used Honda Insight tomorrow.... (Corradorennenprofi)

They handle just fine, like any econocar would. Plus, the batteries do not need to be replaced after 80k miles - Honda offers a warranty on them for up to 100k miles, so I wouldn't expect them to fail at that point either. I'v read about someone already having over 160k on their insight and the battery did not need to be replaced.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

Why don't you convince your parents to get a civic hybrid then? 4-doors and a bit better build quality would probably be a bit more practical, don't you think?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: I think I'm going to test drive a used Honda Insight tomorrow.... (vw_ev73)

Quote, originally posted by vw_ev73 »
Why don't you convince your parents to get a civic hybrid then? 4-doors and a bit better build quality would probably be a bit more practical, don't you think?

They have a Civic Coupe right now, and it's used strictly for commute - they don't need the rear seat, ever. Plus, the Civic Hybrid and the Prius don't get anywhere near their MPG ratings, while the Insight EASILY exceeds it with conservative driving (proven by the picture above)

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: I think I'm going to test drive a used Honda Insight tomorrow.... (Metallitubby)

Quote, originally posted by Metallitubby »
beware of a few things. They are built very cheaply to save weight, I have had countless customers complain of this, and be knowledgeable of the autostop feature.

Cheaply? Sounds like the all that aluminum is expensive compared to steel. But if they take weight saving to the extreme, they may skimp on weight-adding comfort items, like sound insulation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts