VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did an oil change and there were traces of antifreeze in the oil. Whats wrong and how hard would it be to fix. Anyone have this done let me know $$$$$ amount you paid. Any one do it yourself let me know what skill level do it yourselfer you have to be. 1-5, 5 being professional mechanic!!!!!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Re: I think I'm in trouble. (67Splitty)

I would check again to see if your blowing white smoke and if not make sure its not the oil cause some oils can cause that illusion of being somewhat green makeing people think its anti freeze.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Re: I think I'm in trouble. (pyrogti)

it may be a cracked head.....not saying it is though. I am a level 1 mechanic, so maybe not.
if your vr6 is blowing white smoke when you start it, is that a real serious problem?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

When I start it up after it sets for a couple hours it blows out a small cloud of white smoke and it idles rough. When I rev it up a few times it runs fine.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: I think I'm in trouble. (Bora20)

I would agree... probably head gasket, not a cracked head. But it should be fixed soon... it is *NOT GOOD* to have antifreeze in your oil. Not sure of cost these days... have never blown a head gasket in my car, and I'm over 180,000 km. My dad never did either... a friend of his used to go through gaskets like water, esp. in the winter time.. revved his car too hard when cold... in those days (many years ago) it cost about $300 to get a new one... today? Your guess is as good as mine!

·
Registered
5,331 Posts

Sounds like a blown headgasket. If the headgasket blows internally near the exhaust valves/water jackets you will get white smoke billowing out of the exhuast. If it blows near the Intake valves/water jackets then you will get antifreeze in the oil.
I guess if it does both, you could have a large enough gap in the headgasket that you would get both symptoms. I have never had that happen though, it was one or the other for me. Pull the head and look at that gasket, definitely sounds like it's blown.

[Modified by Sebeck1, 8:28 PM 4-9-2002]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.