VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a selling spree lately. A lot of my crap that no one wants is suddenly worth a lot more. I've sold a motorcycle and 2 cars in the past couple of weeks and have literally had a stranger walk up to my house, knock on the door and offer to buy it. It's a weird time in the consumer space. I just put in an order on a new vehicle and it's going to take 3 months due to rubber, foam and chip shortages that are impacting manufacturing.

We have 4 cars and 4 bikes and so to free up some space, I started looking at what our vehicles are worth and have been tracking this value since December waiting on the right moment to strike.

If you do a nationwide search for New Golf R models, there is none according to Cars.com, CPO there are 23 cars with mileage ranging from 3,000 to 57,000 miles. The cheapest CPO is $30,000 USD and highest is $44,000.

There are 381 used Golf Rs nationally.

When I first started pricing out what my Golf R was worth to wholesale dealers like, the prices were around $14,000. We all know that's low but these places reward patience and want to get your vehicle for as low as possible. Don't give them your phone number, that's for sure.

Then last week, CarMax offered me $30,500 for a DSG 2016 Golf R with 48,000 miles. I paid $38,550 for this car in August of 2015 so a depreciation of $8,050 in 5.5 years.

Here is CarMax's selection of Golf Rs for sale - https://www.carmax.com/cars?search=Volkswagen+Golf+R

The MK8 Golf R is slated to arrive "Fall of 2021" but with the chip shortage and all kinds of global trade delays, if I were in the market for a gen-8, I would be putting down a deposit in July and expecting to take delivery some time in November - January.

Most of the enthusiasts on this forum have other vehicles they can drive. Consumers are hungry for used cars right now, there is no Golf R out there reasonably priced that I can find so now is the time to private-sale your vehicle for $30-$35K OR just give it to CarMax for $30,500 and they'll come pick it up.

Me personally, I'm keeping mine because after doing the full Billstein B16s last year, the car is finally where I want it. The only other thing I would do is Methanol + MPI but that can wait another season as the car is just fine as an auto cross car in its current state. investing in seat time is where my money is going at the moment.

It's a rare thing but nearly every one of you by now shouldn't be underwater on the Golf R even if you had god-awful finance terms (talking 72 months, 8% interest). You could sell the Golf R today and walk away with cash in hand. As the MK8 starts arriving, I think initially MK7s will drop in value just like the MK6 did when the 7 came out (I sold my MK6 a month before 7s started to show up for $26,000 after paying $36K).

Unfortunately for resale's sake, the MK8 Golf R is not a mild hybrid and will still roll a manual transmission. I was sort of hoping we'd see DSG + Mild Hybrid on the MK8 so as to make my car a little bit more rare for future returns and I expect my Golf R will settle into the high teens in resale by the time I'm ready to sell it.

So if an MK8 is calling your name or maybe an RS3 because you're making a bit more salary than you were in 2015, it's my opinion that you should sell your Golf R this summer and enjoy the profit and minimal depreciation.

Sell Us Your Car

The prices could keep going up this summer but they're as high as they've ever been.

Funny aside, while my Golf R is worth $30,500 today, My wife's 2016 Sportwagen SEL with DAP + Lighting Package is only worth $10,000. Same model year, larger interior space but yet worth 1/3. Our MSRPs out the door weren't that different. I think her's was $35,000 and mine was $38,550. Depreciation can be a bitch sometimes.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yeah, agreed. This market is very odd.

Carvana offered me $36.3k for my '19 R (15.5k miles, 6MT) a couple weeks ago. I bought it for $34.5k in Feb of 2020.

When I shopped around for a replacement vehicle I couldn't find decent deals on things I wanted. I'm not willing to go too unreliable since it's my only car, plus I love my R. I have been very tempted to sell, but I'll likely keep it a few years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If I didn’t love my R I would have sold it. I stole my ‘18 with 56k miles for $27.5k right when COVID started last year, and could’ve made some quick cash on it any time over the last year, but I just like it too much to let it go yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Agreed. For comparison's sake I bought my DSG '19 with 15,000 miles on it for 33k in June 2020. It now has 21,000 miles and Carvana offered $35.5 last week. I don't have another car, or else I would be tempted to sell as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got my certified 16 DSG last spring for about $29k (about $32k after taxes, fees...etc). I did a quick check on CarMax and Carvana and they were both in the $31k range.
That would be $1000 lost out of pocket for 1 year of driving....not bad if you ask me.
Plus, I could sell my winter wheels/tires and get a few hundred bucks back.

Depending on what my wife does in next few months, I'd entertain getting rid of the R.
It's an awesome car, but I feel it's too nice for me and just sits in the garage due to working from home. (racked up all of 5k miles since I bought it over a year ago).
But then again, when I drive it, those thoughts go away.

My other thought, and original plan, was to keep it for ~7 years like I do with most of my vehicles.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The prices on the Golf R's right now are just really inflated. Found a dealership who has a 19 Golf R DSG with close to 8k miles. They had it up for $42,500 initially, but now 2 weeks later still sitting there, they dropped it to $39,500

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The prices on the Golf R's right now are just really inflated. Found a dealership who has a 19 Golf R DSG with close to 8k miles. They had it up for $42,500 initially, but now 2 weeks later still sitting there, they dropped it to $39,500
Over MSRP for used is insanity. These are Volkswagens, not classic sports cars.

Inflated is right. It doesn't mean people who are ready to make a change or save up for an MK8 aren't perfectly positioned to make a change now while the market is good.

·
Registered
11,372 Posts
I am grappling with this very decision right now. I ordered an M2 Competition in February that will be arriving around the end of the month. The plan was to sell my Z4MC, which had just been hit to the tune of $9500 in body/RR suspension repair. The Golf R would remain as my daily. In fact I just paid off the balance of the loan and now own it outright. 23k miles, 6MT, bought in late 2019.

But now I have the Z4MC back, and the repair work was done so well that I don't necessarily feel compelled to part with it. So I could hang onto the Z4MC and use the M2c as my daily, or do some sort of relatively even split between them. But the Golf is SO versatile and I truly love it, and it's under warranty for 6/72. But if I were to trade it in, I'd get a massive sales tax offset (about $2500). It's tempting to at least have the BMW dealer make me an offer. If it's a fat number plus that tax offset, that would be great. And I'd be free of having to sell the Z4MC with full disclosure of its recent mishap. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You make a pretty good point, @AdamChandler. I've been following the market for the Golf R pretty closely for the last 6-7 months, but strictly for the Spektrum Golf R's so I've been aware of the crazy good market for even a standard color Golf R's. What is really interesting is that there is a pretty large difference between the USA and Canadian markets for resale of the MK7 and MK7.5 Golf R. Anyone looking for a hell of a deal in the USA should be looking at the Canadian market where you can get (even a Spektrum) for anywhere between $10-12k less than what you would pay domestically due to the exchange rate. Even considering the cost to ship and import I suspect most people would end up ahead. The only problem is that VWoA won't support warranty for non-USA cars, so it depends on how you feel about that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been on a selling spree lately. A lot of my crap that no one wants is suddenly worth a lot more. I've sold a motorcycle and 2 cars in the past couple of weeks and have literally had a stranger walk up to my house, knock on the door and offer to buy it. It's a weird time in the consumer space. I just put in an order on a new vehicle and it's going to take 3 months due to rubber, foam and chip shortages that are impacting manufacturing.

We have 4 cars and 4 bikes and so to free up some space, I started looking at what our vehicles are worth and have been tracking this value since December waiting on the right moment to strike.

If you do a nationwide search for New Golf R models, there is none according to Cars.com, CPO there are 23 cars with mileage ranging from 3,000 to 57,000 miles. The cheapest CPO is $30,000 USD and highest is $44,000.

There are 381 used Golf Rs nationally.

When I first started pricing out what my Golf R was worth to wholesale dealers like, the prices were around $14,000. We all know that's low but these places reward patience and want to get your vehicle for as low as possible. Don't give them your phone number, that's for sure.

Then last week, CarMax offered me $30,500 for a DSG 2016 Golf R with 48,000 miles. I paid $38,550 for this car in August of 2015 so a depreciation of $8,050 in 5.5 years.

Here is CarMax's selection of Golf Rs for sale - https://www.carmax.com/cars?search=Volkswagen+Golf+R

The MK8 Golf R is slated to arrive "Fall of 2021" but with the chip shortage and all kinds of global trade delays, if I were in the market for a gen-8, I would be putting down a deposit in July and expecting to take delivery some time in November - January.

Most of the enthusiasts on this forum have other vehicles they can drive. Consumers are hungry for used cars right now, there is no Golf R out there reasonably priced that I can find so now is the time to private-sale your vehicle for $30-$35K OR just give it to CarMax for $30,500 and they'll come pick it up.

Me personally, I'm keeping mine because after doing the full Billstein B16s last year, the car is finally where I want it. The only other thing I would do is Methanol + MPI but that can wait another season as the car is just fine as an auto cross car in its current state. investing in seat time is where my money is going at the moment.

It's a rare thing but nearly every one of you by now shouldn't be underwater on the Golf R even if you had god-awful finance terms (talking 72 months, 8% interest). You could sell the Golf R today and walk away with cash in hand. As the MK8 starts arriving, I think initially MK7s will drop in value just like the MK6 did when the 7 came out (I sold my MK6 a month before 7s started to show up for $26,000 after paying $36K).

Unfortunately for resale's sake, the MK8 Golf R is not a mild hybrid and will still roll a manual transmission. I was sort of hoping we'd see DSG + Mild Hybrid on the MK8 so as to make my car a little bit more rare for future returns and I expect my Golf R will settle into the high teens in resale by the time I'm ready to sell it.

So if an MK8 is calling your name or maybe an RS3 because you're making a bit more salary than you were in 2015, it's my opinion that you should sell your Golf R this summer and enjoy the profit and minimal depreciation.

Sell Us Your Car

The prices could keep going up this summer but they're as high as they've ever been.

Funny aside, while my Golf R is worth $30,500 today, My wife's 2016 Sportwagen SEL with DAP + Lighting Package is only worth $10,000. Same model year, larger interior space but yet worth 1/3. Our MSRPs out the door weren't that different. I think her's was $35,000 and mine was $38,550. Depreciation can be a bitch sometimes.
Is there a Carmax equivalent in Canada? I have a 16 R with like 29,000 miles that I want to sell. Will car max come to Canada? :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
You make a pretty good point, @AdamChandler. I've been following the market for the Golf R pretty closely for the last 6-7 months, but strictly for the Spektrum Golf R's so I've been aware of the crazy good market for even a standard color Golf R's. What is really interesting is that there is a pretty large difference between the USA and Canadian markets for resale of the MK7 and MK7.5 Golf R. Anyone looking for a hell of a deal in the USA should be looking at the Canadian market where you can get (even a Spektrum) for anywhere between $10-12k less than what you would pay domestically due to the exchange rate. Even considering the cost to ship and import I suspect most people would end up ahead. The only problem is that VWoA won't support warranty for non-USA cars, so it depends on how you feel about that.
Canadian here, trying to sell my R :p

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know what you mean, Tbh I haven't seen a spectrum R on the market in a while. I'm struggling with the fact to either go with a user R now or wait and order the MK8 R in the fall/winter or whenever it comes. Odd's are price wise you aren't going to get better than MSRP on the R especially now due to the chip shortage which will easily go into next year.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R, 2001 Cabrio VR6
192 Posts
Used cars are increasing in value across the board, 2x4s are more expensive now, house prices are insane, worthless companies have astronomical stock prices. Is it possible the value of my car is the same, and the metric we are using to determine value is now itself worth less? What's the point of selling my R for more money than I paid for it if I can buy less with that money?

Fortunately for me, my heirs will have to answer that question.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The high used prices are compelling. However, the flip-side is that ALL used cars are super high right now and there is nothing new and affordable that I would enjoy driving more than my manual 7.5 R.
that's exactly the point. who cares if you get a lot of coin for the R, IF whatever else out there that you might want is just as expensive. only KevinC seems to have a bonus if he sells his R, everyone else will be paying out all of their R sale dollars towards their new purchase.

shark -

·
Registered
503 Posts
Over MSRP for used is insanity. These are Volkswagens, not classic sports cars.

Inflated is right. It doesn't mean people who are ready to make a change or save up for an MK8 aren't perfectly positioned to make a change now while the market is good.
you should see the 4 runner market right now. Its unreal ... used ones with 40k miles going for the MSRP of a new one. TRD Pro used going for more than new, sometimes 10 to 15k over msrp. It's why I went brand new, and got it under msrp in the exact color and trim I wanted. Had to wait to get it but it was worth it.

that said, the dealer was pushing hard to have me trade in my golf on top of my old boss 302 because there just aren't aren't enough on the market, and the R's awd is a big selling point in the PNW. But as others have said, I couldn't think of another car that checks all the boxes the R does, and if I ever do have to head back into the office, I'd rather be driving the R than the T4R.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I traded my 6MT 17R with 22k miles for $27k, seems like I could have held out for more but Carmax and Vroom both offered $26.5k. I made my deal on Sat afternoon, the dealer had the R on their site Mon morning and it was gone Tue evening. They had it advertised for $33k...I bought it new for $36k!

The high (to me) trade-in + 15% off a brand new vehicle was a no brainer for my needs.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts