VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost 70. I never seem to lack for projects. I sent this out yesterday to get the trans rebuilt for a friend. The car is stored here. The shop bailed as they didn't want to tie up their shop for weeks. 99.9% of automatic transmissions can be serviced by taking the trans out the bottom. Not the Mark II, nooooo!, it has to come out with the engine, which means a lot more work than the shop was able to do with the space they have.

I don't know of anyone else willing to do that to a Mark II trans removal, do you? If so, speak up!

So, once the Chevy is done........

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Beautiful machine nonetheless 👍

Reactions: barry2952

·
Registered
35,101 Posts
At least you know what you're doing! There can't be very many Continental experts out there.

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At least you know what you're doing! There can't be very many Continental experts out there.
That's the thing, you don't have to be a Continental expert. You have way more skills that the average assembly worker of the '50s. The cars were designed by Ford designers, engineered by Ford career engineers and assembled by Ford assembly workers that were largely uneducated. The cars were designed around the assembly process, and not service, just like today. Engineers made the car to only go together one way. The workers were older and slower and got cushy jobs by seniority, not their skill sets. The Continental Division was the top of the heap, but much of it was Marketing.

There car has a mechanical mystique that's not deserved. It was a tried and true Lincoln drive train under a body made by Mitchell-Bentley. Nothing was actually manufactured at their plant. They assembled parts brought in from other Divisions and outside suppliers when they couldn't source internally. It has a number of Thunderbird concealed parts, but the steering column is the same. It had an initial quality that was above the rest, but like a luxury home, it's how you furnish it that makes it luxurious.

Yes, it helps that I've been through a larger number of restorations of these cars, but what allows me to work on them is my general knowledge. You don't even need a big tool box or any specialty tools. I'm not a professional mechanic, just a guy that amassed some space and a huge air compressor fixing stuff for my customers. Now it's time to do only what I enjoy. For a short period of time I built CB stores in the Detroit area and trained the installation staff. What I taught was how things come apart, even if you'd never worked on one before. If you've paid attention knowing how something came apart should tell you how it goes back together.

If I did this for a job I would hate it. After doing the Ruxton and the Steyr it's nice to swim in familiar waters.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
21,001 Posts
God I want to make love to Mark II's. They're such gorgeous machines, especially your convertible. Drop top really suits the lines of that car, but I wouldn't kick a hard top out of bed for eating crackers.

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
That's the thing, you don't have to be a Continental expert. You have way more skills that the average assembly worker of the '50s. The cars were designed by Ford designers, engineered by Ford career engineers and assembled by Ford assembly workers that were largely uneducated. The cars were designed around the assembly process, and not service, just like today. Engineers made the car to only go together one way.
At least you don't like old Chryslers 😂

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
Ahh yeah I forgot about that story! I've just heard many tales from previous Chrysler owners about evidence pointing to... a lack of care on the assembly line.

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahh yeah I forgot about that story! I've just heard many tales from previous Chrysler owners about evidence pointing to... a lack of care on the assembly line.
My FIL was a Chrysler engineer, He designed early robotics that tested parts to failure about the time these were built. It wasn't just line quality, it was the cheap steel they used, We are built on a huge salt mine. About the time of these cars we were dumping salt on our roads by the tons. You could watch the Chrysler products rust by the day.

·
Registered
46,296 Posts
In!

So I'm guessing that the engine will get at least a good scrubbing and detail once it's out, correct? It'd be a good time to pull things like the water pump, manifolds, and valve covers - if both you and the owner want to go that far.

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In!

So I'm guessing that the engine will get at least a good scrubbing and detail once it's out, correct? It'd be a good time to pull things like the water pump, manifolds, and valve covers - if both you and the owner want to go that far.
This car got an in-car engine detailing by Dave about 5 years ago. It needs little work in that respect. It's a clean machine, very clean.

·
Registered
46,296 Posts
My first thought was that was a '58 Lincoln since I couldn't recall what they looked like, but then I noticed the taillights were right for a Mark II, then I saw the roofline, the misaligned chrome "louvers", the intricate Mark II rear badging...

Some people need a guardian. 😐

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In semi-related news, I saw this at the Hershey car show over the weekend. I just thought you'd not like it. :whistle:

View attachment 125418
Sadly, that was done to a new car.

Someone that thought they had taste did this to a new car, too.

Car Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

The King of Tacky-ons did this to a new one, too. The spotlights and roof irons are just silly, but the gold Dagmars on the wheel covers are truly tacky. Not surprised, he was a tacky man.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
8,753 Posts
Sadly, that was done to a new car.

Someone that thought they had taste did this to a new car, too.

View attachment 125440
Haha, I think that one was there, too. :LOL: If not that one, another one with a giant tasteless Continental kit like that. I was trying to point out to my friend what did and didn't belong on that first car, but this was the only other one there to compare to. Do you have the backstories for those cars?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts