VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the Scirocco together (somewhat - cruising no hood style) and took it out for a nights stroll.
All I can say is OMG
when this thing boosts it isnt playing around and that is with the stock chip, I am going to go with an SNS stage 5 chip once I get some good boost numbers. I could not believe how much faster it is - totally makes the old 16V look like dog doo(no offense). I was totally freaked out when I broke traction in 4th
(dont know how fast I was going because I was having waaayyy to much fun
). All that is left is to get it tuned right, hook up the A/W IC, and take care of a few little odds and ends.
I am gonna go back out in the garage once the motor cools and take care of some of those odds and ends. I think I am gonna be up all night because I am way to excited to even think about sleep.
Pics will be up as soon as I get this thing finished

Justin

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Re: I took the 2.0 G60 out today and OMG does this thing haul (otaku17)

Cool deal! Really interesting setup. I'm sure once you got it sorted it will scoot nicely.
Just watch out for that turbo dog doo!

·
Registered
455 Posts

Awsome. Just wait till you get a intercooler on there, then it'll really pull.
And if you don't have a limited slip, a front sway bar really helps keeping you going in a staight line. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

Is it still 8v?

I would like some info on your setup if possible please.

TIA

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I took the 2.0 G60 out today and OMG does this thing haul (MByler1)

quote:[HR][/HR]Is it still 8v?
[HR][/HR]​
Unfortunately yes. I would loved to have built a 2.0 16V G60 but the money wasnt there and for that much I could have done a 1.8T swap. Machine shops around my area have insanely high prices and from what I have seen dont do good work (took a head from work to a shop and they were to remove a head stud, they drilled clear through to the water jacket and the helicoil with sealent would not seal = coolant all over the exhaust. Needless to say they got us a new head).
My setup is pretty basic and includes all the engine management from a digi 1 corrado, the supercharger, brackets, water pump, alt, and a few other things. I am using the stock 16V trans and I forgot to mention a corrado radiator, and a flex a lite scirocco radiator fan (really compact). I got the motor from dubweks in Libertyville IL, it is a basic low compression 2.0L long block that came with tin. When I get the motor finished I am going to focus on the body because it needs a lot of tlc. Another possiblity is an eaton swap for the G60 but then again I may even go turbo.
quote:[HR][/HR]And if you don't have a limited slip, a front sway bar really helps keeping you going in a staight line[HR][/HR]​
Thats good info to know. I took the front sway bar off (It was bent) and this thing dives to the ground like you would not believe in corners and I am running H&R coilovers.
I am going to hook up the a/w IC today and hopefully get some good boost numbers so sns can make me a chip.
I will keep you guys posted on what the stage 5 chip does performance wise.
Justin

·
Registered
19,447 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif wow sounds like its comming along nicely.. hope do see those pics when ur done? You should get a boost gauge man!!

·
Registered
189 Posts

I hate the front bar because i like independent suspension. With the bar there you cant corner as tight and stuff. not a good thing that front bar is.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Re: I took the 2.0 G60 out today and OMG does this thing haul (revjohnballard2)

I disagree completely. I run the 22mm front and the 28mm rear. I have a few autocross and time trials trophies. Fast in the canyons too.

TS

[Modified by TarmacSpecial, 7:14 PM 3-17-2003]

·
Registered
3,161 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I finally got the Scirocco together (somewhat - cruising no hood style) and took it out for a nights stroll.
I was totally freaked out when I broke traction in 4th
[HR][/HR]​
Congrats on your new power! I have one question though, how did you break traction in fourth? Power shift? Hit a patch of ice?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: I took the 2.0 G60 out today and OMG does this thing haul (Hybrid VW)

quote:[HR][/HR]You should get a boost gauge man!! [HR][/HR]​
I do have one but I ran out of places to put guages
I have the tripple guage setup running and A/F and an EGT guage along with the stock oil temp guage. Waiting to be installed are the oil pressure and boost guage. Right now I am cruising ghetto style (although I did bolt the hood back on this afternoon
) with the guage strapped to the turn signal stock rubber band style
- I know I know but I really wanted to get boost numbers and its the only place that I could think of (hit 10psi by the way at 4k which I am not going over till I hit 3k miles - well purposely anyways).

quote:[HR][/HR]
Congrats on your new power! I have one question though, how did you break traction in fourth? Power shift? Hit a patch of ice?
[HR][/HR]​
I was carrying the mail pretty good down frontage road and was not paying attention to the tach like I should have and shifted at almost 6k
Justin

·
Registered
4,041 Posts

Man this is what I might do to my car. I've heard a lot of good suggestions on upgrading to a 2.0l 16v G60. How much would something like that run? Anyone?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Re: I took the 2.0 G60 out today and OMG does this thing haul (revjohnballard2)

quote:[HR][/HR]I hate the front bar because i like independent suspension. With the bar there you cant corner as tight and stuff. not a good thing that front bar is.[HR][/HR]​
Have I been severly misled my whole child and adult life or does the sway bar (often called an anti-sway bar) help to reduce roll in corners??? From my understanding it distributes the load from the outside tire to the inside strut to 1)gain the added stiffness of the other strut and 2)compress the inner strut so that the inside will have a tendency to want to drop down

·
Registered
19,447 Posts

thats good i thought u were running all that psi with no boost gauge had me scared for a minute.. i know there is not enough places for gauges in the rocco..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts