VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

I WANT BACK IN!!

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  rgustely 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Going through my photo album today I realised how much I loved my B5 and how stupid I was for getting rid of it. It was the best car ever (although it kept breaking down I liked to bring it in that's how much I liked it).
Three months ago I bought a 2002 RSX and I hate it.
Now I found another Passat and I'm going to take a loss, but I need to minimise it as much as possible.
It's a 1999 GLS V6 5 speed with leather, sunroof, and alloys.
It has 53,000 km on it and the dealership wants $25,900 Canadian.
I think that sounds a little high. Can someone out there help me out? What would be a good final price for this car and how much do you think I should offer them?
(and if the dealer is reading this--I don't really want back in that much. I'm just flirting with the idea.
)
-VWNewbie (more like VWtraitor --> VWletmebackin)

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: I WANT BACK IN!! (VWnewbie)

Hi VWnewbie,
So... your Passat with my wheels is gone...eh? I do not have my 99 wagon either, but do not miss it that much as I replaced it with 2001 Eurovan camper. I still come your way often, so finally...we must have that good lunch in Richmond!
My advis eto you...get a new A4.

Take care....

#7 ·
Re: I WANT BACK IN!! (SilverWagon)

That's good advice SilverWagon (somebody remembered me, it's a sign!--gotta get that car now), I've been drooling over the 2002 A4's all week. But starting at $40,000 CDN they are a little steep. Maybe once my current car runs out of steam I'll look into a used A4.
Lunch in Richmond would be perfect, just send me an email before you come. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
(want to see that Eurovan
)

#8 ·

Hi VWnewbie,
I know this would be a silly question to ask:
but what about the RSX that makes you hate it?
I'm curious to know, as a friend of mine recently bought a 2002 RSX. Before he bought that, he has driven my Passat, and was thinking of getting a used 98/99 Passat. He finally settled down for the RSX, as he claims it is targetted toward a younger crowd, and that he can only live (young) once.

#9 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey guys,
Going through my photo album today I realised how much I loved my B5 and how stupid I was for getting rid of it. It was the best car ever (although it kept breaking down I liked to bring it in that's how much I liked it).
Three months ago I bought a 2002 RSX and I hate it.
Now I found another Passat and I'm going to take a loss, but I need to minimise it as much as possible.
It's a 1999 GLS V6 5 speed with leather, sunroof, and alloys.
It has 53,000 km on it and the dealership wants $25,900 Canadian.
I think that sounds a little high. Can someone out there help me out? What would be a good final price for this car and how much do you think I should offer them?
(and if the dealer is reading this--I don't really want back in that much. I'm just flirting with the idea.
)
-VWNewbie (more like VWtraitor --> VWletmebackin)[HR][/HR]​
I paid $33,500 for a new 2002 1.8T GLS with Moonsoon, luxury package, sunrooof, alloys, but no leather. The leather was an additional $2,000. I didn't want leather for reasons of personal preference - it wasn't a cost issue.The price you're being quoted sounds high to me, even with the V6. Before I bought my car I ivested in a Car Cost Canada membership. http://www.carcostcanada.com
HERE's THE ACTUAL CARCOSTCANADA QUOTE FOR A GLS V6 (MRSP on Left), Dealer Invoice on right. You should be able to negoiate at least $3,000 of the invoice price. So, for only a few thousand more, you could end up with a new 2002, 4-yr warranty, etc. Good luck from a fellow Canuck.P.S. Note that this quote includes tip - subtract that if you wan thte 5-speed manual,
2002 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS V6 $33,050.00 $29,375.00
Optional equipment selected
5 speed automatic Tiptronic
transmission $1,230.00 $1,199.00
cold weather package - incl heatable
front seats & heated washer nozzles
(WW1) $450.00 $382.00
leather package - incl leather
multifunction steering wheel &
heatable front seats & heated washer
nozzles (PLD)
$2,280.00 $1,934.00
luxury package - incl power sunroof,
15 inch alloy wheels, rear sunshade &
anti theft wheel bolts (PJ6) $1,925.00 $1,633.00
monsoon sound system (RMA) $470.00 $399.00
side curtain protection (4X3) $375.00 $318.00
freight $555.00 $555.00
Air Tax $100.00 $100.00
Totals: $40,435.00 $35,895.00

#11 ·
Re: I WANT BACK IN!! (Triple777)

Yeah...all those folks who think they are infatuated with the big-on-style low-on-substance cars like, oh, the Altima, will soon realize how good the Passat platform is/was. You can't tell them that here in this Forum though...no, they need to learn that on their own.
Wecome back, VWnewbie...we're glad to have you.

[Modified by sbachmeier, 8:35 AM 12-4-2001]

#12 ·
Re: I WANT BACK IN!! (sbachmeier)

Yeah, it's B5 fever.

Thanks for the welcomes.
The RSX is a fine car, it just doesn't suit me personally. I thought it would be great since I was only young once, but this car is "too young". The ride is firm (which is great for handling) but coupled with the rock hard seats which are contoured just the right way to hurt my back, it's not a pleasant driving environment (for me).
So does anyone else have an idea as to what this '99 should cost?
Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#14 ·

So, you've been the dark side.... It's nice to see you post again because you're one of the first Passat enthusiasts I've ever met
As for the 1999 you're thinging of, I'm not sure about prices, but it's not bad on the mileage. I've got about 65000km on my 1999 and although I have taken it on a lot of road trips, I don't commute very far to work every day.
You could probably bargain a bit with the dealership(?) about the price anyway.
As for other used Passats, whenever I get the chance, I always look in the classifieds and there never seems to be very many Passats listed so it's hard to compare. If you're a BCAA member I believe they will also give you the rough value of a used vehicle, too.

#15 ·

Just FYI:
I traded my '99 Passat in on an Altima (one of those high style/no substance people).
Mine had 31,900 miles on it, it was a Green GLS V6 5-spd with luxury package, and they gave me 15K on the trade. (so, your deal doesn't sound too bad).

#16 ·

As I said earlier, my new Eurovan camper is great and I do not miss my old wagon all that much. However, i miss A LOT this B5 forum. On T4 forum days can go by with zero posts. Then, a small volume of posts mean that there is not much to learn there. I still look on B5 forum for info, interesting advice, etc. To think of it, it might be owrth to buy another Passat just to be active on this forum!
Stargazer is correct, VWnebiee, Stargazer, myself, and few others were the VWvortex members when the total number was about 1000 or maybe 2000 people, (winter/spring of 99) now that number is ... in billions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.