VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put power steering on my 87 GT Golf. What do I need and how hard is it? I can barely turn my wheels when my car is stopped! Any help is greatly appreciated, Maybe a detailed list of what i need to install would be perfect! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: I want POWER STEERING, How? (Omega Supreme)

rack, pump, bottle, lines, braket for the pump, belt and pulley. think that will do as i have heard.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: I want POWER STEERING, How? (hybrid gti 2)

the end part on the colum you will need as well as the power steering part is different acording to my freind.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Re: I want POWER STEERING, How? (hybrid gti 2)

Quote, originally posted by hybrid gti 2 »
the end part on the colum you will need as well as the power steering part is different acording to my freind.

Its actually a joint between the rack and the end of the column.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Re: I want POWER STEERING, How? (grilledpickle)

they are the same, but the manual steering version has an extra piece at the rack joint. theoretically you should be able to remove that piece and install the power rack.
i have all the parts, just did manual conversion, if you're interested im me. you will need new tie rods and boots though, about another 60 from adirondack.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: I want POWER STEERING, How? (ValveCoverGasket)

I did the conversion last summer...
Like others have listed... You'll need:
Rack (with tie-rods), pump, pump brackets, pulleys (crank, waterpump and PS pump pulleys), belt, hoses, and the lower u-joint of steering column (and dust boot to go with it, you need the u-joint and boot because this piece is of different length compared to the manual, and of course the boot is different length), reservoir bottle... bracket for the bottle...
To make the conversion "complete"... there's a bracket... If you look towards the engine bay, on the right wall, a bit further (near middle) from the battery... You'll see 2 holes covered by rubber plug. A extra bracket goes there that'll hold the PS hoses... It's there so you don't crack your bottle easily from the stress.
To ValveCoverGasket: Oh, and I did save all my Manual Steering setup.... Complete... Problem is, you don't want me to ship from where I am...

Modified by davidlo at 4:54 PM 2-17-2004

1 - 7 of 7 Posts