VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about 3 posts off the search and I guess it's one of 2 problems but I just want to assured. I started my car, and engaged the clutch and put it into first. The car started to creep forward with the pedal to the floor, so put it in neutral and disengaged the pedal but it only came back half way, and I pumped it but it was soft and still didn't come back to full rest. I pumped it like 10 times then it came back all the way and I drove no problem. Ive had the car since Feb, and no matter how fast or slow I release the pedal with any amount of rpms it skips or jumps a few times while Im engaging the clutch. To me it just feels like a need a new clutch disc, would this have aything to do with the slave going bad???? And how much are the new slaves?? I bleed the system good with a buddy of mine. Is the slave the one with the big round can, or is that the master? Thanks a lot,

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: I would like some help diagnosing a problem before it gets worse... (1967ghia)

Good job looking to fix it now, because it's going to save you a lot of money. Right now the clutch disc itself is still OK, let this problem continue and you'll wreck it and need to replace the clutch.
Right now what you have is a fault in the hydraulic circuit that disengages the clutch. Could be the slave cylinder (that's the one on the transmission) but is more likely the master cylinder (the one on the firewall) Now I have to confess that I am new to Corrado owenership and so far haven't even looked at the clutch hydraulics. Usually you can get a rebuild kit to replace all the seals, bt nowadays you may have to settle for a "remanufactured unit." If the slave cylinder is not actually leaking fluid (usually there's a little rubber dust cap on the end of the cylinder, just pop it off and see if any fluid comes out) then the master cylinder is the likely culprit. Both are easy to change I bet.
Whatever you do fix it now while it's a cheap little hydraulic problem. Wait and you'll be removing the transmission to change the clutch. If you MUST drive the car for a day or two, NEVER sit with the clutch in and the car in gear. Consider your clutch a momentary switch only able to stay pushed in for the half second it takes to engage first or shift gears.
Good luck, and well done. SO many people let a small problem go until it becaomes a big expensive one...

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I would like some help diagnosing a problem before it gets worse... (Dubai Vol)

Ok, so I baby the car till I get home. I have a bug as my backup, untill it sells. so the fact that it didn't come back to full rest untill I pumped it 10 times and now it comes back fully and shifts fine it could be the master cyl. I was reading and they say that those things usually last long compared to the slave. But anything can break, how do I check the master? And I thought the master only controlled the brakes? If Im wrong, I wont be next time someone asks me.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: I would like some help diagnosing a problem before it gets worse... (1967ghia)

and what do you mean by "faultt in hydraulic circuit"? Is this an electrical part? I thought the whole clutch system runs off of the brake fluid, I didn't think any electrics played a part in the shifting?

Modified by 1967ghia at 2:15 AM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

I didn't think any electrics played a part in the shifting?
...they don't.
Since it was fine BEFORE you bled it, it would seem to me there's air in the system. Not to mention, I haven't had a G60 clutch or cylinder fail before 100k miles! At over 150k, my slave is still fine. I replaced the clucth at ~115k for ****s and giggles (Sachs Sport), the OEM was still fine.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: I would like some help diagnosing a problem before it gets worse... (URIN 2ND)

awesome Sean, tanks for the help

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

Yes it uses brake fluid, which is hydraulics, just like your brakes. It's typically referred to as a circuit but a hydraulic (fluid) circuit, not an electrical circuit. The way it works is you push the pedal , which pushes on a piston in the clutch master cylinder (nothing to do with the brake master cylinder ) that pushes fluid through the hose to the slave cylinder, which pushes a piston there, which operates the clutch. Congratulations, you are now a hydraulics expert!

Basically that is how all hydraulics work, including your brakes, only they are more complicated because one pedal is operating four brakes.
The sun just came up, so I went out and had a look at the clutch hydraulics. The clutch master cylinder is mounted below the brake master cylinder. I hope you don't have ABS and I hope I never have to change my clutch MC, because it looks like a pain to remove. The clutch slave cylinder sits right on top of the tranny, but you've found that I guess, as you bled it. Now just trace the hydraulic line back from the slave to the master. As the mechanicals are inside the tranny, take off the slave (just two bolts) and have a look to see if it's leaking fluid. Do the same on the master. Like I said a cylinder hone and new seals would fix any possible problem on such a simple circuit (hydraulic type) for about 10 bucks, including the cylinder hone, so try to go that way. Otherwise replace the faulty (leaking) cylinder with a rebuilt unit, bleed the system, and you're done.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: I would like some help diagnosing a problem before it gets worse... (Dubai Vol)

Freaking AYE, thanks for the huge response. Dubai, jezz that sounds far away, not to be stupid but what nationality do you call people from Dubai??? Ok, I'll check for leaks at the shop tomorrow. I think I need to change the fuild because it's really old and dirty and I don't want to harm my baby so she needs to pampering this weekend since Im off for the Fourth of July,
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

You're extremely welcome, that's what makes the 'tex so great. This place has certainly saved me a lot of time and heartburn.
Dubai is in the UAE, United Arab Emirates. The local people are called "****ing Arab bastards."
Or Emiratis, take your pick....

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Damn it, I work at an auto shop and my bosses wife makes me go to the Middle Eastern store while waiting for our lunch to get cooked up at the chicken place next door. Well the story is, is that those Phucking Arab BBastards are sooo damn pushy and nosy. I can't even pick through the cucumbers without getting shoved and pushed. I just wanna go Bush style on them sometimes, CRAP. Don't take offense, Im just letting the steam out

And Ill try to let you all know what the prob was

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

How come you can say ****ing but I can't WAIT "****ING"
Quote, originally posted by Dubai Vol »
You're extremely welcome, that's what makes the 'tex so great. This place has certainly saved me a lot of time and heartburn.
Dubai is in the UAE, United Arab Emirates. The local people are called "****ing Arab bastards."
Or Emiratis, take your pick....

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 1967ghia »
How come you can say ****ing but I can't WAIT "****ING"

That's a secret! But it's easy once you find the trick

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

my car was doing the same thing, but I was leaking brake fluid. My problem was the slave, so I changed both the master and slave, they are under the same pressure so if one went out, the other was going to go soon after. (at least this was my thought)

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote, originally posted by Dubai Vol »

That's a secret! But it's easy once you find the trick
WHAT THIS SECRET BS??? Come on, IM me the dirty little thingy you do to make F words appear!!! I won't ever use it

·
Registered
9,323 Posts

no i couldn't figure out the curse deal.. but i didn;t try too hard...

Modified by vdubCorrado at 3:11 AM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Re: I would like some help diagnosing a problem before it gets worse... (vdubCorrado)

My friend had the same problem and it was the Slave cylinder, and it's not that much, he got it from the dealer for like 40 bucks I think, and it's the thing right on top of your tranny... have the parts guy at the dealer show you the picture of it... it's only got a couple of size 10 bolts and it comes out.... good luck...
Danny

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

I gave you a hint! what more do you want?

·
Banned
2,234 Posts

I am a full time VW tech,and will tellk you that Dubai VW input is 100% correct,I recommend you replace both master and slave cylinder at the same time,if you wait too long your synchros will go out and eventually your pedal will stay planted to the floor.Buy BRAND NEW HYDRAULIC CYL.!!Installing them is not hard but does require partial disassembly of the gear selector mechanism on the transmission next to the slave cyl.Bleeding this system is a "trip" you have to bleed all the air out and it will still not be firm,but pumpm the pedal by hand about 20-30 times and it will get "firm" and work perfectly as long as you have taken the air out initially with proper bleeding procedure,but it will not pressurize right away,you have to pump it a lot.I have done countless R&R clutch hydraulics and that is how to do it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts