VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brought my car in for service and they unexpected ran out of loaner cars due to a few emergency visits. So they put me in this i4 and sent me on my way.

He goes, "so it has a range of 260 miles you should be good for the day," and I replied, "well I can just get gas- so no big deal," and he goes, "oh no- it's electric. Boogie woogie woogie woogie woogie."

First impressions:

1) Very smooth ride- but maybe I'm biased since I'm coming out of a sports car.

2) Quiet interior. But not significantly more quiet than my combustion engine.

3) Regen is very heavy on this car. So one pedal driving is kind of a must which takes a lot of getting used to. The car will almost fully stop without ever hitting the brake. But you do need to brake at the end of a stop.

4) The new idrive seems very sophisticated, but honestly looks less modern UI wise than my system which is the last generation still used across most of the lineup. There's no map I could find for the main cluster which I like on mine. Pretty much everything is the same, it's just laid out completely different which is strange.

5) The climate is all on screen now. Took a little getting used to as I like my physical buttons. But not a deal breaker.

6) I like the wipers on the 3, 4, i4. They're super chunky versus the really thin ones on my car.

7) There is a B indicator where my S/M models are for the transmission. It really didn't do anything I could notice but I imagine it causes increased Regen from braking.

8) The door handles are electric but cool. They still lift out physically which I like. I thought they were going to be pads that you touched, but I like the physical feedback.

9) Funny how many things are identical in this car to mine. Nearly every button, switch etc are the same which makes for an easy transition.

10) It really isn't that quick. I was actually surprised that it felt like a normal slow 4 cylinder turbo vehicle. Maybe not all electric cars are tuned for instant torque, but this kind of left me a little disappointed that it wasn't more quick off the line.

Anyway, still very cool and here are some pictures. I should have it all day if anyone has questions they want me to check out and try to answer!
Car Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
32,543 Posts
I test-drove the late, great i3 a few times back in the day, but the salesfools at BMW never explained the concept of one-pedal driving.
Lifting off the pedal to coast, but getting aggressive regen instead, sucked.

·
Registered
32,252 Posts
I test-drove the late, great i3 a few times back in the day, but the salesfools at BMW never explained the concept of one-pedal driving.
I had the same experience when I got to test my friends' i3. I don't get why the regen needs to be so aggressive by default that lifting your foot off the gas is like hitting the brakes. Can't they make the brake pedal activate the regen (first, before activating the wheel brakes)? Of course, one pedal driving would be simpler if/when you get used to it. I didn't have enough time to see if I could actually like it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Man. I still can't get over the whole iPad stuck to the dash thing. They go out of their way to make it look that way, too.

For whatever reason the massive grilles on the i4 don't look as bad as on other models in their lineup.

·
Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,504 Posts
The real review is when you actually climb back into your old car and say to yourself "WHAT?? no regen? Why is it so loud? Why do I need a transmission? Brake pedal is stupid!!"

But for real, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think after you get your old car back.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a demonstration vehicle not for sale yet. So I guess the giant taped on i4 is advertising for BMW NA

One pedal driving is very aggressive in this car. Doesn't seem to change with drive modes either and I haven't looked in the settings yet.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Username does not check out

I love the general normalcy of this EV. For the price I'm probably still taking a model 3 or Polestar 2 if i can find one, but if they can improve the range on these (especially at the "M" level) then it's compelling.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
This is one of those hills that I will absolutely die on. I L O V E the intense regen on the i3 and believe it should be the default for all EVs. Sure it takes a bit, and I mean a tiny bit, of getting used to but it's one of the many things I think improves the operating experience wholesale. The only downside of their implementation is they simulate lift-off regen with the friction brakes when your pack isn't ready for all that juice and the transition isn't seamless.

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
8,695 Posts
The only downside of their implementation is they simulate lift-off regen with the friction brakes when your pack isn't ready for all that juice and the transition isn't seamless.
I wonder if they have to. "Not my fault I rear ended them I expected the car to regen!"

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I was able to drive it some more and boy when you punch it it's powerful. I think the dichotomy between normal driving and really pushing it is crazy in this car. It's very well mannered.

I will say it gets a ton of attention. Having the stupid sticker on the one side probably doesn't help.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Also the key looks identical but is actually bigger. I wish the loop hole was bigger on mine like the new one!
Adapter Camera accessory Gadget Adapter Material property

·
Registered
926 Posts
We had a Polestar 2 as a rental for a couple of months and I grew to love regen braking. It truly is one pedal drive once you get the hang of it. It became a fun test at times to see if I could time the release of the pedal just right to stop at an intersection. I don't know about the BMW, but the Polestar had three settings for regen: off, light regen, and full one-pedal drive.

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat VR6 4Motion sedan
2,640 Posts
So I was able to drive it some more and boy when you punch it it's powerful. I think the dichotomy between normal driving and really pushing it is crazy in this car. It's very well mannered.

I will say it gets a ton of attention. Having the stupid sticker on the one side probably doesn't help.

View attachment 184265

Also the key looks identical but is actually bigger. I wish the loop hole was bigger on mine like the new one! View attachment 184267
Do I spy a Marauder key???

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
The real review is when you actually climb back into your old car and say to yourself "WHAT?? no regen? Why is it so loud? Why do I need a transmission? Brake pedal is stupid!!"

But for real, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think after you get your old car back.
When I test drove a Model 3, it really was weird getting back into my STI. You become accustomed to the NVH of an ICE to the point that it is jarring when it is taken away, then put back.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
The i4 has multiple settings for brake regen. You should dive into the iDrive system and adjust as you please.

Reactions: ice4life
1 - 20 of 68 Posts