VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brought my car in for service and they unexpected ran out of loaner cars due to a few emergency visits. So they put me in this i4 and sent me on my way.

He goes, "so it has a range of 260 miles you should be good for the day," and I replied, "well I can just get gas- so no big deal," and he goes, "oh no- it's electric. Boogie woogie woogie woogie woogie."

First impressions:

1) Very smooth ride- but maybe I'm biased since I'm coming out of a sports car.

2) Quiet interior. But not significantly more quiet than my combustion engine.

3) Regen is very heavy on this car. So one pedal driving is kind of a must which takes a lot of getting used to. The car will almost fully stop without ever hitting the brake. But you do need to brake at the end of a stop.

4) The new idrive seems very sophisticated, but honestly looks less modern UI wise than my system which is the last generation still used across most of the lineup. There's no map I could find for the main cluster which I like on mine. Pretty much everything is the same, it's just laid out completely different which is strange.

5) The climate is all on screen now. Took a little getting used to as I like my physical buttons. But not a deal breaker.

6) I like the wipers on the 3, 4, i4. They're super chunky versus the really thin ones on my car.

7) There is a B indicator where my S/M models are for the transmission. It really didn't do anything I could notice but I imagine it causes increased Regen from braking.

8) The door handles are electric but cool. They still lift out physically which I like. I thought they were going to be pads that you touched, but I like the physical feedback.

9) Funny how many things are identical in this car to mine. Nearly every button, switch etc are the same which makes for an easy transition.

10) It really isn't that quick. I was actually surprised that it felt like a normal slow 4 cylinder turbo vehicle. Maybe not all electric cars are tuned for instant torque, but this kind of left me a little disappointed that it wasn't more quick off the line.

Anyway, still very cool and here are some pictures. I should have it all day if anyone has questions they want me to check out and try to answer!
Car Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a demonstration vehicle not for sale yet. So I guess the giant taped on i4 is advertising for BMW NA

One pedal driving is very aggressive in this car. Doesn't seem to change with drive modes either and I haven't looked in the settings yet.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I was able to drive it some more and boy when you punch it it's powerful. I think the dichotomy between normal driving and really pushing it is crazy in this car. It's very well mannered.

I will say it gets a ton of attention. Having the stupid sticker on the one side probably doesn't help.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Also the key looks identical but is actually bigger. I wish the loop hole was bigger on mine like the new one!
Adapter Camera accessory Gadget Adapter Material property

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Regen is adjustable. I put it down to light and it is barely noticable now! The idrive is just very confusing as everything is an app now for settings rather than having individual setting sections.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well, the i4 is back at the dealer. I now have android auto and they even debadged all the crap on the right rear for me. Success! I enjoyed the i4, but I'd still take my ice Z4 over it.

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Oh yeah, I remember you posting about that. My Pop had a Marauder and it is a bucket list car for me, still have the spare set of keys from his old one and they are shaped a little differently.
Yeah these were the early keys pre-trandsponder
Rectangle Electric blue Font Wood Audio equipment

Then in 98 they got the transponder keys
Peripheral Guitar accessory Adapter Musical instrument accessory Camera accessory

Then in 02 they redesigned the keys. The Marauders got this one
Adapter Adapter Gadget Cable Tool

1 - 11 of 11 Posts