VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Regen braking is great. My wife was talking about how much smoother “the ride” (code for my driving) is in my model 3 vs the past several ICE’s I’ve had, especially in stop n go city traffic.

Smoothly fading regen speed drop into instant torque on an offramp will make a believer of even the most diehard save-the-manual folks.

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
18,058 Posts
Great writeup OP. 🍻 I have signed up to test-drive the iX and i4 this weekend. So I get to see just how fugly the iX is in person. My wife kinda digs the looks so I think I might get suckered into leasing one soon. LOL.

·
Premium Member
13,510 Posts
The steering wheel paddle adjusters (aka flappy paddles) that Hyundai/Kia uses to adjust regen from 0 to 3 is a must, imo. Left paddle adds regen (similar to downshifting for engine braking), and the right reduces regen.

I get the amortized cost of having the i4 and 4GC on the same platform, but I feel like this should have been a ground up EV for BMW, with a real frunk, not mention something aesthetically more pleasing. I can't see myself ever wanting this over a Tesla Model 3, or the Ioniq 5/Kia EV6.

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
20,678 Posts
You say that, but when BMW tries to make an EV look "special" we get the IX.

You missed the part you quoted that said "and the nose is way to ugly, like almost all modern BMWs " The iX ramps that up to 11. They didn't make it special. They made it worse. There's a lot of EV design that can happen that can look special and not like a huge beaver tooth face Or a bland standard car. Even the i3 looked vastly better than the iX and i4 thanks to properly sized nostrils in it's fake grille:

·
Registered
14,554 Posts
the dealer tape job mean no one (or not enough) people care about this EV. It is NOT a Tesla.

Tesla = iPhone
i4 = Honor

·
Registered
324 Posts
Great writeup OP. 🍻 I have signed up to test-drive the iX and i4 this weekend. So I get to see just how fugly the iX is in person. My wife kinda digs the looks so I think I might get suckered into leasing one soon. LOL.

The IX is a really impressive vehicle if you can get past the looks. I'd take it over the Model X anyday.

·
Registered
51,423 Posts
On the regen subject, I love regen in the Bolt of its highest setting (L). I actually think it feels like driving a manual in gear without using the clutch. The added benefit being that the car will come to a full stop on L regen.

On my electric motorcycles I can vary the amount of regen with a phone app that connects with the bikes via bluetooth. But the manufacturer won't allow regen to be really strong because it is through the rear wheel (wheel driven by the motor). And if you were to hit a patch of sand or other slippery surface while regen was really strong, you could lock the rear wheel and slide the back end out.

·
Registered
15,269 Posts
Well, the i4 is back at the dealer. I now have android auto and they even debadged all the crap on the right rear for me. Success! I enjoyed the i4, but I'd still take my ice Z4 over it.

View attachment 184417
View attachment 184416
Hold up. You got a Z4 and you're in Virginia? I don't even know who you are anymore. :ROFLMAO:

I guess Miata is always the answer if you're poor, if you're rolling, it's Z4.

What year is it? And do you have anymore pics of it?

My sister is a car person too. We talk cars, go to shows.. shealways liked the Z4. Just recently she bought another Lexus IS 350 F Sport.

I'm going to show her pics of your convertible to make her jelly. It's what brothers do.

·
Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,295 Posts
That's for my mountaineer
Oh yeah, I remember you posting about that. My Pop had a Marauder and it is a bucket list car for me, still have the spare set of keys from his old one and they are shaped a little differently.

·
Registered
2001.5 Passat, 2004 Jetta TDI, 2010 Sportwagen TDI, 2014 Passat Wolfsburg, 2019 Jetta R-Line
232 Posts
You missed the part you quoted that said "and the nose is way to ugly, like almost all modern BMWs " The iX ramps that up to 11. They didn't make it special. They made it worse. There's a lot of EV design that can happen that can look special and not like a huge beaver tooth face Or a bland standard car. Even the i3 looked vastly better than the iX and i4 thanks to properly sized nostrils in it's fake grille:

IMO, several years ago BMW and Hyundai swapped designers. Nice looking went terribly wrong and crap turned into attractive.
Apparently you can polish a turd with skilled designers.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Oh yeah, I remember you posting about that. My Pop had a Marauder and it is a bucket list car for me, still have the spare set of keys from his old one and they are shaped a little differently.
Yeah these were the early keys pre-trandsponder
Rectangle Electric blue Font Wood Audio equipment

Then in 98 they got the transponder keys
Peripheral Guitar accessory Adapter Musical instrument accessory Camera accessory

Then in 02 they redesigned the keys. The Marauders got this one
Adapter Adapter Gadget Cable Tool

·
Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,295 Posts
41 - 60 of 73 Posts