VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching all over the Vortex for what I think would be an easy find, BUT, no love.
Can anyone tell me the MAXIMUM allowable measurements (depth & diameter) for door speakers in the Mark IV Golf? I know spacers can be used, but everything still has to fit behind the grills - I'm trying to avoid custom enclosures.
Thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: ICE Question (fuknmuvn)

Cool-
I've run MB Quart in all my previous VWs, but I'm also now considering Boston Acoustic and Focal, some of which are space hogs. X-overs have gotten HUGE as well. Dunno where they expect us to put this stuff...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Re: ICE Question (CrocoStimpy)

With properly designed spacers, you could go with oversized 6.5" or 7" and about 3" of depth without hitting the window. I am running Focals as are many others on this forum.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aha! OK, here's the straight poop.
I'm acquiring a new Golf shortly and the entire Monsoon system is getting the heave ho. I want the car to come apart ONCE – alarm, gauges, radar, audio, ejector seat… all at the same time. I've got the whole opposable thumb thing down and am smarter than your avg. bear, but my expectations are more than I can live up to. Found a shop I trust, now I'm just collecting gear.
The hardest (& most important) part has always been speaker selection. What they sound like stuffed in a box on a soundboard is a world away from my front seat. Those BA Z6s are nice, but at $1k I damn near hit the floor. New Pro Series are due soon; might wait to check those out. I like the MB Quart 216 QSD A LOT – very smooth & seamless. I’ve got the least amount of experience with the Focal line. I’d be looking at either the K2Power or Utopia series. I can find both the Quart and Focal lines at http://www.onlinecarstereo.com for reasonable $. Which Focal set did you choose and is there anything unique about your installation? Have you or anyone else here had experience buying gear online? I know for a fact many of these places are NOT authorized to do so and often wonder how they get a hold of the stuff.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Re: (CrocoStimpy)

I think any of those sets you mentioned are good speakers and can be installed by a installer who knows what they are doing. The main reason I went with Focal K2s is that I used their raw drivers in home speakers before and I could put the tweeter in the car with the least amount of modification to the factory locations.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (DubberJimi)

Why, Q-Branch, of course.
My a$$ is smarter than I am sometimes - sorry. Nifty concept though for that date that just won't shut up.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Re: (CrocoStimpy)

I went with the boston pro's 3 ways in front with Q-forms, I love them. the X overs are HUGE though, like 6x3 inches. The two way xover is about half that size. My BA's fit fine with the supplied spacers. I checked out the focals but their three ways are two 6.5's and the Q's wont hold a 6.5 so I ended up going 6.5, 4" inch and tweet from BA. I They scream and are o so clear..The focals and quarts are great too. You will be happy with any of the three...What amps are u using??

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (darb215)

I agree with you - no matter what the subtle differences, all three brands are well respected. I have to remind myself where they are going, too; the R isn't exactly S-Class quiet. My passion for live music has long since taken my 20-20k hearing ta' boot.
Pods in the foot wells go back a ways now and to my knowledge are still the best imaging solution. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with a big honkin' dead-pedal I'd rather not loose, so I'm working in the doors. Three-ways are too pricey and difficult to install at this point. I'm wondering if it's advisable to put the X-overs under the seats or in the hatch? This facilitates easy tweaking after some seat time. I know it's best to keep runs as short as possible, but there is a good chance the X-overs won't even fit in the door. As for their size. my guess is a lot of the magic nowadays is in the X-over.
I've a small collection of Soundstream DII amps that go back to the early 90's. I may go with a JL 500/1 since I plan on acquiring a single 10w6v2 which likes current. I've been outta' the game too long to know what's sonically good and what's crap. Lot of cannibalism in this industry, usually for the worse. Beyond that I've purchased an Eclipse 8053 to replace my 5303R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts