VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
48,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New electric family member: ID. SPACE VIZZION will be presented at the Los Angeles Auto Show

Volkswagen will debut the ID. SPACE VIZZION to the world on the eve of the Los Angeles Auto Show on November 19th 2019—a zero-emissions vehicle for a new era, new thinking and new mobility. The ID. SPACE VIZZION is a wagon of tomorrow that combines the aerodynamic characteristics of a Gran Turismo with the spaciousness of an SUV. Stylistically, the ID. SPACE VIZZION follows the design DNA of the ID. family, yet has a completely independent and progressive character.

“So far, with our ID. family, we have shown what is possible with electric vehicles in each known car category. With the ID. SPACE VIZZION we create a new, fully electric segment,” says Klaus Bischoff, Head of Volkswagen Design.

The ID. SPACE VIZZION is based on Volkswagen’s Modular Electric Drive Matrix (MEB). The MEB fully exploits the technical possibilities of e-mobility and guarantees long ranges, dynamic driving performance and a whole new level of digital networking.

When it comes to the design, the front and roof sections are particularly precise, with openings for the airstream for aerodynamically optimal design. Thanks to the efficiency of the drive system and impressive aerodynamics, the ID. SPACE VIZZION has a range of up to 590 kilometers (WLTP) or 300 miles (EPA).

Inside, the study defines a completely new paradigm of intuitive usability with its completely digitized cockpit. The materials are consistently made from sustainable raw materials, such as the new AppleSkin™, an artificial leather with a proportion of residual matter from apple juice production.

The ID. SPACE VIZZION is a study for the future, but not a dream. The production version will be released in late 2021, and will come in different versions for North America, Europe and China.

·
Registered
85,010 Posts
For a concept, it sucks. Boring styling.
It's a VW.
They can't make it look too different or they might scare off their static fans.

·
Registered
46,105 Posts
Why present a wagon concept right after they stop selling wagons :confused:
I was wondering the same thing.

Who knows? Perhaps once the next generation doesn't want to "look like mom" they'll go back to wagons. I mean, young people don't remember the 1980s, when people switched to minivans from wagons so they wouldn't look like their folks in the wagons, then CUVs so they wouldn't look like their moms in the minivans. There aren't that many more practical body styles, so perhaps it'll come back around.

No, I'm not holding my breath. :laugh:

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
23,426 Posts
It's just an in illustration, let's wait and see what the real concept would look like. Also EV = slippery designs, this seems to follow VW/AUDI EV design pretty consistently.
Back reminds me of a Panamera Sport Turismo. I'd agree the concept is rather boring like the Mercedes Vision EQS concept and production tends to be more boring than the concept. That said I find it rather funny that we're moving into an era of design where the Asian cars are almost exclusively sharp angled dynamic designs, the Europeans are smooth and somewhat boring, and the Americans are somewhere in between.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
For a concept, it sucks. Boring styling.
On a non-supercar, I'd much rather have a clean and simple design that's well proportioned than the over-styled, aggressive, "I think I'm a Lamborghini" styling that's so prevalent these days.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
23,426 Posts
On a non-supercar, I'd much rather have a clean and simple design that's well proportioned than the over-styled, aggressive, "I think I'm a Lamborghini" styling that's so prevalent these days.
To give the concept some credit, I think a big win here is having an EV with no front grille and make it still look good. Others either can't get the look right or are still leaning on grilles as a major styling element.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,485 Posts
I wonder what this means

The production version will be released in late 2021, and will come in different versions for North America, Europe and China.

·
Registered
Bluestar, NA, XL40
15,350 Posts
VIZZION? Is it made for this guy?

·
Registered
46,105 Posts
Can we all agree that we'd like to take the person responsible for naming these things outside, tie them to a tree and kick him in the stomach until he coughs up blood?

VIZZION? Is it made for this guy?

So I wasn't the only one who thought of that!

...Wait, is this thing going to poison you with no way to detect it beforehand? :eek:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts