VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up some 10" Subs and was wanting to mount them as shown in the picture below. I can't remember who posted this pic. I was wondering what material was used to build the contoured boxes below.
I'm wanting to build the boxes as lightweight as possible. Any other ideas for a lightweight set-ups with 10" Subs would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Re: Idea for Mounting 10"Subs in Hatch (A2brb)

that looks sweet, i should do something like that when i hookup the 12" in the trunk of my jetta

·
Registered
3,816 Posts

IMHO fiberglass works best - can be moulded into all sorts of weird shapes.
MDF is eaier to work with. Its important to get a good "seal" on the box. Also light weight (aka thin sides) will be terrible - they will flex/resonate and make all kinds of buzzing and stuff - or not - depends on how good a fabrication person you are...
Find a buddy with a jig saw and have at it... might not be as good as a $$$ custome made one but a heck of alot more fun to DIY

·
Banned
648 Posts
Re: Idea for Mounting 10"Subs in Hatch (ewongkaizen)

fiberglass is crazy fun to work with, and can get you any shape you want.... just make sure to use it in a well ventilated area
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Re: Idea for Mounting 10"Subs in Hatch (GermanWannaB)

i think that is Silver4dr or something like that. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,699 Posts

Quote, originally posted by A2brb »
What exactly is MDF???

Medium Density Fiberboard

·
Registered
5,714 Posts

Medium Density Fiberboard
I second the reccomend for a good seal. I made a bandpass box once for 2 15's (bad idea from its conception)....it was huge, and poorly sealed. Sounded like ass.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts

I have also been wanting to build something for the jetta. If you build your own box out of fiberglass how do you attach the sub ? would you make the front out of MDF then cover with fiberglass to match ? but then im thinking the side would flex
to much. if anyone want to share withus how to do this would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: Idea for Mounting 10"Subs in Hatch (VDUBLUVENTO)

Ive never tried this at all so Im just talking trash here...
MDF comes in MANY thicknesses - like 1" or even more.
Get someone with a router and "work it" by milling GROOVES into the face - the groves will actually STIFFEN the flat material - just like the "beads" rolled into the floor plan stiffen the floor of the Golf

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Re: Idea for Mounting 10"Subs in Hatch (ewongkaizen)

Do at least 3/4" MDF, or, because you want to save weight, use 1/2" Birch Plywood. BIrch is about 2X more expensive, but MUCH lighter, or you could use a combination of a thinner MDF frame, with Fiberglass around it. Don't make the walls to thin. Rigidity is key. I really recommend the Birch, you can also stain it if you want, it's some real pretty wood.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Idea for Mounting 10"Subs in Hatch (TheSSG)

If I use the Birch Plywood...Is regular wood glue, along with screws to build the Boxes, a good ceiler?
I won't have to Port the Boxes because my 10" Orions are Free Air http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif which is a plus.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts

more trash talk...
butt joints in 1/2 with screws IMHO isnt ideal
3/4 is better.
If you DO go the butt joint with screws route - use a 1x1 beam in the corner and screw into THAT and silicone caulk it as well.
To work right - the box has to be AIR TIGHT.
Id think a biscuit joiner would be better or get someone to do a finger/box joint or dovetails.... (oohh...)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts