VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Sorry if I missed this one...what has the last Japanese car to make you “hold up” the exterior door handle to lock the door?
As a guy that grew up with American cars...that seemed odd, back in the 80s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'17 Ram '84 Rabbit
2,313 Posts
Last car with headlight wipers (not just washers)?

For that matter, does any car still come with headlight washers?

Also, last car with fog light as part of the headlight assembly like an '80s Mercedes rather than in the bumper? Was there one after the 2004-2006 Acura TL? (2007-2008 moved fogs to the bumper and used the former fog light as a DRL.)

:thumbdown:
C6 (2006-2011) Audi S6 had both foglights in the the headlight housing and pop-out headlight washers.
They couldn't have bumper mounted fogs due to the all the radiators needed for the V10.

Bonus points; In Canada the foglights were activated as the DRLs because the bumper mounted LED strips used elsewhere did not meet Canadian regulations at the time.

:beer:
G

·
Registered
1997 BMW M3, 2020 Mazda CX-5, motorcycles
1,927 Posts
Last car with headlight wipers (not just washers)?

For that matter, does any car still come with headlight washers?

Also, last car with fog light as part of the headlight assembly like an '80s Mercedes rather than in the bumper? Was there one after the 2004-2006 Acura TL? (2007-2008 moved fogs to the bumper and used the former fog light as a DRL.)

On a side note, I somehow never noticed that luxury cars started to drop fog lights altogether in the 2010s. :thumbdown:
Volvo S60 maybe?

Edit: Beaten by LLO
2009 for the S60. :beer:

I loved seeing those little wipers when I was a kid in the 90s. So fancy.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Hmmm - whoever pointed out "refractor" (lines through them) vs "reflector" (clear jewel) halogen headlights made me go down a rabbit hole when I should be doing more productive things. :laugh:

Someone said the 2003 Durango had the last refractor lights, but it looks the DaimlerChrysler was still using them a year later...on the C-Class. Were they really being that cheap when even GM was using clear reflectors on the Cavalier by that point? (The 2005 C-Class did get EDIT clear-lens halogen reflectors.)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Maybe I'm being too harsh on Mercedes. I realized that the 2004 Corvette was not only the last car with pop-up headlights, but also a 2004 model with refractor-type lenses. Can anyone find anything newer than 2004 (sealed beams like the Jeep TJ excepted) that used refractor (NOT projector or clear-lens reflector) halogen headlights?

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
C6 (2006-2011) Audi S6 had both foglights in the the headlight housing and pop-out headlight washers.
They couldn't have bumper mounted fogs due to the all the radiators needed for the V10.

Bonus points; In Canada the foglights were activated as the DRLs because the bumper mounted LED strips used elsewhere did not meet Canadian regulations at the time.

:beer:
G
So if the S6 had bi-xenons, where was the fog light located? In board, where you'd normally expect to see a "high beam"?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Here are two I think I know the answer to, but I'm not 100% sure.

Last car with "trigger" style door handles (Class 4 on Jalopnik diagram). I think I can name two, both 1998 models. One might be obvious, but the other is not a VW/Audi/Porsche product.

Last passenger car (no Jeeps!) with a Class 3 door handle. I'm thinking of a certain 1999 model.

🍺

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Here are two I think I know the answer to, but I'm not 100% sure.

Last car with "trigger" style door handles (Class 4 on Jalopnik diagram). I think I can name two, both 1998 models. One might be obvious, but the other is not a VW/Audi/Porsche product.

Last passenger car (no Jeeps!) with a Class 3 door handle. I'm thinking of a certain 1999 model.

Is the Challenger-Charger the only current car with the Pull Up?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Is the Challenger-Charger the only current car with the Pull Up?

I believe it is, and I quite like it!

Reactions: Lifelong Obsession

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
What was the last car to have tail lights inside the bumper?
Mid 80s Olds wagon for reference...

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
1999 Buick LeSabre
Correct! 🍺

Now take a guess as to what the last car with "type 4" trigger door handles was. If it's what I'm thinking of, two 1998 models fit that bill. I'll give one away - the Porsche 993. The other is not a Porsche/VW/Audi product. I'll give another hint - it is an upscale European car.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Correct! 🍺

Now take a guess as to what the last car with "type 4" trigger door handles was. If it's what I'm thinking of, two 1998 models fit that bill. I'll give one away - the Porsche 993. The other is not a Porsche/VW/Audi product. I'll give another hint - it is an upscale European car.
Oooo! Volvo 960

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
What was the last car to have tail lights inside the bumper?
Mid 80s Olds wagon for reference...

Do the current-gen Mini Clubmans still have their brake lights in the bumper? It’s a pretty bad design, as there are giant lenses in the barn doors, but they don’t illuminate with the brakes - the brake lights are in the bumper where you would expect fog lights or turn signal repeaters (a la Hyundai, also a bad design) to be.

I’m wondering if they came to their senses, or if they’re still available with that nonsense

121 - 138 of 138 Posts