VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
It's something with no center console, because you can see the gas pedal. The radio looks like the early 90's Ford ones to me...

but maybe it's not even real. Maybe this is the artist's interpretation of 80's car interiors, an amalgamation of many vehicles.

·
Registered
37,593 Posts
Next time, OP should ask to speak to the manager.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Not only am I sure it's Japanese, I believe it's Mitsubishi. It uses the same type of two-button squeeze latch that was common on every Mitsu in the 80s. The barely visible slide out ashtray with the finger cutout on the bottom is also a near match.

80s Pajero:

Vehicle Radio Car Satellite radio Steering wheel

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's something with no center console, because you can see the gas pedal. The radio looks like the early 90's Ford ones to me...

but maybe it's not even real. Maybe this is the artist's interpretation of 80's car interiors, an amalgamation of many vehicles.
There are some oddly specific details that make me think it is real?

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
23,522 Posts
The gloves and glasses suggest that it's some kind of driver's car. I looked at the Starion interiors from the era and they do not match.

·
Registered
23,263 Posts
The detail that I think will prove to be telltale is the way not only is there the sharp angle within the dash, but the way the glovebox door incorporates that sharp angle. Even on examples where that dash angle looks similar, I haven't found one where the glovebox opening shares that angle.

Ex: 1987 Accord (not it)
Vehicle Car Steering part Steering wheel Radio

Squeeze latch, sharp angles, dedicated cigarette holder do still all scream early-mid'80s Japanese to me though...

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
If this is true, the logical next step is for TCL to chip in on a group buy car and hire Vigorous to modify the dashboard to match the painting.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts