VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just fixed up my 89’ cabriolet and I’m having troubles tuning it. I believe there’s a different cam in it as it runs really lopey at idle and has aftermarket headers. Took it for a test drive and could barley get it out of the driveway without revving it to 2500, it also has an oil splash guard in the valve cover (I don’t know if that’s factory or not) the cam specs are, base circle 1.34”, 1.732” height, .406” lift (give or take) and has markings “G vwlogo 026 2d” on the other side just “G 8c”. also got around 185-190 psi on a compression test which is roughly 10 psi more than it would be factory spec. So it may have had some extensive head/cylinder work but the block is still stamped jh. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I could be wrong but If it has the vw logo it’s likely a factory cam. Many companies engrave the end of them with either their brand and/or the degree of the cam like 268, 276 etc, the windage baffle is also very common, it does help pull oil out of the breather. As for the compression, the numbers often vary depending on the quality of the tester. They are useful in determining if one cylinder is different from the rest but most of the people I know take them with a grain of salt as well unless the accuracy of it is known to be exact. Those numbers do make it sound like it is a healthy motor at the very least.

Cabby info has a lot of great resources, I found both of these links there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could be wrong but If it has the vw logo it’s likely a factory cam. Many companies engrave the end of them with either their brand and/or the degree of the cam like 268, 276 etc, the windage baffle is also very common, it does help pull oil out of the breather. As for the compression, the numbers often vary depending on the quality of the tester. They are useful in determining if one cylinder is different from the rest but most of the people I know take them with a grain of salt as well unless the accuracy of it is known to be exact. Those numbers do make it sound like it is a healthy motor at the very least.

Cabby info has a lot of great resources, I found both of these links there.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I've determined it is the stock cam, I set the timing on the wrong "mark" and it stuttered really bad until 2 grand, fixed timing, idles and pulls fine. As for compression it was 189/192/191/192 I used a snap on tester and they're all within a few psi so I'd say it's pretty damn accurate, I'm just going to assume a previous owner did pistons or something alike, factory compression is around 175 iirc. Another issue, it seems to miss pretty heavily on one or two cylinders only ever from idle, super smooth once you're up past 1200-1500. dwell was reading 89 on a test drive although it was reading 45 the day before, really at a loss on this one I'm positive it's related to fuel. Just spitballin' but if you know anything that would be sweet!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.