VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this for a freind of mine, he is fitting a TEC2 Engine managment unit to his 1992 VR6 engine that he is turbocharging.
The whole unit appears to be easy to instal with the exception of the Idle control, Where the unit talks about using a GM rotary type idle screw, in place of the Pulse vavle type as found on the VW engine.
I have been looking at the later type throttle bodies on the 1996 onwards type's, but i dont think these are suitable either...
At the moment i am thinking that i will have to buy the GM screw type valve.
Tec2 owners please help !!

thanks
keith

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Re: Idle control on a Tec 2 for VR6 (keith_r2)

You adjust the stop screw on the throttle body and leave it cracked open a hair. Your buddy is is for a rude awakening... The timing map is always 12o advanced on the VR6. Better take that into consideration when you program the timing map. I hope he has a second car while he learns to tune the TEC II.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Idle control on a Tec 2 for VR6 (Jim Chu)

Idle adjustment on the throttle body, I did think of that but what is the system like when it is Cold? Or from hard Braking to a standstill etc?
Yeah Lewis has a second car, However the TEC2 was supplied by Eip a LONG time ago now with a map pre-loaded, to account for all the bit lewis is using (Injectors size etc).
This will no-doubt need fine tweeking though, We have a VERY knowledgable Engine managment Tuner who we are letting do the Job of fine tuning, he mainly plays about with FOrd cosworths and Subarus, Toyotas etc, he is reading through the TEC2 information and looking into the Software Now...
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but could you explain more on the 12degrees advance timing always....
Cheers
Keith

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Re: Idle control on a Tec 2 for VR6 (keith_r2)

HA, if EIP supplied the program - good luck cold starting it when it's freezing outside. Those guys do nothing to the cold start program with the TEC II's. All they do is tune for power.
I have say that Rich (the owner) knows his TEC programming, but just a little lack of effort.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

okay Jim, cheers for the advice on the cold start.
What about this timing issue??????????

BTW all you Eip Haters, My freind rang Eip's Tech line, Couldnt Get through for ages and ages, then when he did get put through, the following was said, Hi Tech Line.......Followed by lewis asking a Tech question, to which they replied.........................Sorry we have no tech advice on the idle control avaiable...........WHAT???? You sell these, and Boast that EIp can provide a premade loom Etc to work with these!!!!!!!!!!! They must know what to do!!!

[Modified by keith_r2, 4:00 PM 4-12-2002]

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

The reason the timing is advanced is because the stock crank trigger and management/ correctly timed motor is referenced off of a different "tooth" than what the TEC looks for. The only way to get around this is to pull the crank shaft, and trigger wheel, redegree it and redrill the trigger wheel, then slap the it back on...OR...run an external crank trigger wheel and magnetic bracket.
Jim, i thought the TEC is advanced by 18degrees. If i am correct, the stock trigger is referenced off the 11th tooth and the tec looks for the 14th (or is it the other way around
)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.