VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the problem, whenever I turn the air on the idle goes up and down againing and againg. Almost to the point that the car wants to die but doesn't. It idles around 800 and with the air on it sometimes drops to 300 then comes back up. I noticed it only does that when the engine fan kicks on. Anyone with any ideas on what's causing it.

·
Registered
21,252 Posts
Re: Idle Problems (ofv)

I remember last year when I first put in my 272 cam, I turned on the A/C for the first time and it did exactly that. It also stalled if I pushed in the clutch. But after a while the computer sorta adjusted to it being on and it eventually worked fine with the A/C on.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I have the exact same problem - I can make it worse by engaging the power steering pump also. Bad cam ?

·
Registered
119 Posts

I've been casually looking for the answer to this exact question for a few weeks. Hope we find one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Idle Problems (DarkenGS)

I've discovered that obd2 throttle bodies have a little servo motor inside which functions like the Idle Air Control valve in obd1 motors (pre-96ish ?). For reading around on the forums, it seems that this little motor opens and closes the butterfly as necessary when idling to compensate for a/c compressor, power steering pump load etc. I'm guessing that mine is "sticking" and doesn't react quickly enough when I let off the gas, causing the flutter as the engine gasps for air. Before I go looking for a replacement throttle body, I'm going to clean the MAF though - there are instructions in the DIY thread, looks pretty simple.
For me this is more of an annoyance than anything serious really.

·
Registered
17,081 Posts
Re: Idle Problems (sheehyj)

clean your throttle body and lube the little hinges in which the butterfly flap swivels on.
i have the same prob, but suspect a vac leak or a tb malfuntion. i have a code...it's been going on for a few months. pain in the ass, but i don't have time or bling to fix it...yet...oh, and i'm lazy

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Re: Idle Problems (white_r!ce)

Quote, originally posted by white_r!ce »
clean your throttle body and lube the little hinges in which the butterfly flap swivels on.
i have the same prob, but suspect a vac leak or a tb malfuntion. i have a code...it's been going on for a few months. pain in the ass, but i don't have time or bling to fix it...yet...oh, and i'm lazy

hey r!ce do you have obdII? i've cleaned my throttle body and done the complete vacuum check (all new manifold gaskets, all new vacuum lines, new tb gasket), new cap/rotor and all that first-of-the-line stuff. new fuel filter (man was that thing fouled up after just 50K!!!), all belts includ. timing, ox sensors, etc. etc. blah blah. latest (today) was a coolant temp sensor (the one for the a/c) because i noticed it idles fine (800-900 rpm) when the a/c is on.... and i'm sure both of my fans work ok.
my code has been on for quite a few months too
and i'm just wondering what defines your problem. does it idle fine when you stop and then about 20 sec. later kicks up to around 1200 rpm? so far none of the things listed above helped the idle, just made the car run a little better (esp. the temp. sensor!?!? even though the a/c was working fine) anything sound familiar? maybe i should be looking at a new TB... <sigh>
was thinking that next or a cat. anywho....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts