VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I consider myself to be very knowledgeable about the CIS system. I have owned my 1987 cabriolet for about 5 years now. I built an ABA engine and put a Eurospec 8v CIS head on it. I drove it for 5,000 miles or so with no issues.

Well, the other day I got a TT adjustable cam gear and installed it and made a rookie mistake. I used the wrong timing mark. I bent the #1 exhaust valve (I have a TT 276 cam and the head has been shaved, so yes it is an interference engine now.). I compression checked every cylinder and 2,3, and 4 were all at about 140 psi. #1 was at about 30 psi.

I pulled the head off, changed the #1 exhaust valve and reinstalled the head with all appropriate new gaskets, etc.

It would not start when the cam was properly timed, it will only start if the cam is one tooth retarded. It idles at 1300 rpm and will not rev past 2000. I have tried a tooth in either direction and this is the best I can do.

I have check for vacuum leaks, there are none.

Each fuel injector is spraying a good pattern.

Each spark plug is sparking.

The plug wires are going to the correct plugs.

The ignition is set to about 10 degrees BTDC.

So, I am lost. Nothing aside from the #1 exhaust valve is different. It ran fine before, and now it just won't rev past 2K.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm leaning toward something unrelated and coincidental has failed. Distributor cap? Ignition Coil?

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,525 Posts
ignition set 10* BTDC? well that seems way too advanced

set the timing to TDC for cam, crank, distributor notch

then rotate the flywheel to set the ignition timing
use the SLASH not the DOT
once the slash is centered, loosen the distributor and turn the rotor to the distributor notch
that is how you set standard ignition timing

however since you are doing an ABA/"JH" combo (CIS?) your flywheel may indicate the wrong ignition timing for this setup

when you replaced the #1 valve did you get a new compression test?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts