VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cold or hot my idling is irratic between 600rpm and 1000 rpm and sometimes sounds like it wants to die. I've tried turning of the AC, radio, etc. but still doesn't change anything. What should I check to correct the problem?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Idling is irratic! What to check for? (mrkrad)

Where exactly is the ISV located on the SLC?

I am not near my bentley.

Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
269 Posts
Re: Idling is irratic! What to check for? (otobon)

quote:[HR][/HR]Where exactly is the ISV located on the SLC?
[HR][/HR]​
look to the right of the throttle body, it's under the black plastic trim.
When I had this problem, cleaning the throttle body solved it. All kinds of crap in there. Used some carb cleaner and a rag http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
People also say to clean the MAF and TPS connectors too...

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Re: Idling is irratic! What to check for? (thickstout)

i'm having this same problem as well. i cleaned the throtle body and the harness conecctions. is the ISV the cylindrical piece that comes after the air box?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Re: Idling is irratic! What to check for? (otobon)

Make sure your EGR isn't clogged. It happend to me and I went through all of the usual measures and couldn't fix the dam thing. Here is my list of common fixes
-Clean ISV
-Check for Vacum leaks (there easily missed so your best off replacig all the hoses, dont worry there cheap)
-Clean MAF very carefully they are not cheap, a little rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip
-Clean ECU connection. Electrical contact cleaner than a little electrolytic grease.
-Check spark plug wires for shorts
-Replace temperature sensor
-Tighten all connections on the intake
-Check fuel pressure
-Vacum test EGR (they clog <---this turned out to be my problem)
-Replace 02 sensor.
Any time your enginer is runnning rich you are going to get an O2 sensor fault code. Resist replacing the sensor untill you have ruled out all of the above becasue often times it is simply the O2 reporting the poor A/F ratio. If anyone wants to give the O2 a try I've got one I pulled out of my car that works fine. Make a resonable offer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts